Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A History of Birks

Posted by Barbara TX on 8/24/01 at 16:58 (057859)

I was sitting at the computer in my Birks and my insicion starting hurting, almost like there was a sharp stone in it. I freaked out a little and started pushing my foot to the ground and wiggling it, hoping it was a muscle spasm that would go away. That hurt even more, so I got this zany idea that there was scar tissue forming and I should press down REALLY hard to break it up. OUCH! That hurt more! I was just about to cry when I took off my Birks.

There was a stone in my Birks.

These are the things that have somehow found their way into my Birks:

Hot buttered rice
Sugar
Blood
Toilet paper
A child's 'sickness'
A tube of jade Balm that I squooshed
Legos
A Batman figurine

B.

B.

Re: A History of Birks

john h on 8/24/01 at 19:05 (057867)

barb: i am sure nancy s, myself and other cat people can tell you some stories about cat litter in your birks which for me is a regular occurence. since i mow the lawn in my birks i get all sort of good things in them that can do cause pain.

Donna M on 8/24/01 at 20:18 (057881)

Foreign objects in your Birk's are a real pain! What I have done that sends me sky high, is when I get in a hurry and somehow the Birk slides partially off of my foot, and I step down on that dang sharp ridge around the heel!!! Oucheee!!!

Barbara TX on 8/24/01 at 21:12 (057886)

Ouch! I have done that too. I also almost crashed a rental car in NJ because of my Birks. My foot was hurting the day after my surgery and so I slipped off the Boston on my left foot, and it slid under the brake. I tried to stop at an intersection, and that huge, hard Boston was totally wedged. I had to swerve and duck down to pull it out and hope for the best. I slid right to the edge of a busy intersection and since I was on drugs I laughed pretty hard, but later I realized what a mess that could have been. B.

Barbara TX on 8/24/01 at 21:17 (057887)

I wonder if cat litter sitting in them for a night would make them smell better. My Birks did NOT stink before I started using Jade, and now they smell weird. Any ideas? I am going to have to get a new pair before I see Dr. Z or he won't come near me. B.

Julie on 8/25/01 at 02:38 (057896)

Nancy, use Jade at night. The smell will be gone by morning, and your Birks will smell...well, however they normally smell.

BG CPed on 8/25/01 at 09:00 (057906)

Some folks have had luck with maloderous footwear by putting in ziplock and let sit in cold freezer for 2 days. In some cases the freeze will kill bacteria if that is source of smell

john h on 8/25/01 at 10:20 (057911)

donna you are right on about the birk slipping off and stepping on the sharp edge (ouch). i thought i was perhaps the only one doing that so have never mentioned it.

john h on 8/25/01 at 10:22 (057912)

barb i never have had that smelly foot problem. maybe a bath is in order (dial soap).

Nancy N on 8/25/01 at 11:55 (057920)

Donna--

You have hit on the reason I like the Milanos with the backstrap! If I am not careful in my Arizonas, sometimes one will fly off my foot and I am hopping to catch up with it (well, they don't usually go that far, but you get the picture). And it's much easier to get foreign objects out of sandals with the backstrap, too, since you can lift up your foot without the sandal falling off!

Re: Birks slippage

Julie on 8/25/01 at 12:03 (057924)

You guys have got to learn to grip with your toes!

BarbaraTX on 8/25/01 at 15:10 (057949)

Thank you, wise guy. But I swear to you, but Birks smelled lovely until the Jade. Their rapid deterioration was post-Jade. My feet are always dried carefullly and my nails perfectly, pinkly manicured. Husband thinks I have pretty feet, and they are the same size as his, so he serves as my shoe-lackey. If they fit him, they fit me. Yes, he is shorter than I am, but it doesn't look like it, because he has lots of thick hair. B.

john h on 8/25/01 at 16:37 (057956)

please do not get into the hair thing barb!

Re: A History of Birks/BARBARA!!

Donna M on 8/25/01 at 22:05 (057983)

Baking soda is good for getting odors out of about everything. The only problem you might have with Birks is with the soda being white, it might leave your footbed lighter, but odorless!! :)
Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/01 at 13:35 (058032)

You can get some nerve type of shocking feelings in the foot off and on.
It can come and go. Sometimes hot soaks will make it go. It is a very scary
feeling cause you think that electricity is running inside the foot

nancy s. on 8/26/01 at 22:37 (058062)

am i late or what? i enjoyed this list, and yes, cat litter has been one of the many choice items to have found their way into my birks. more include
paperclips
cheese
sand
an extra sock
plastic wrap from some nonedible in the kitchen
cigarette lighter
cat toy
coins
water because i can't wait to get out of shower shoes and into birks
and -- wendy, you can relate! -- snow. lots of it.
still worth it all, though, yes?
nancy

wendyn on 8/26/01 at 23:11 (058066)

Yes - I can relate to the snow in the Birks!

I missed this thread before, glad I took a look. I also have my shoes fly off and I have a tendency to land with the soft part of my arch right on the ridge of the Birk OUCH!!!!

When my Birks were stinky I scrubbed the footbeds with mild soap and water and a brush. Then I piled the beds high with baking soda and left them to dry. Tipped out the soda a day or two later and they were pretty decent.

john h on 8/27/01 at 08:55 (058084)

nancy s: my cloverine salve buddy! you have sure acquired some goodies in your birks. did i tell you i found a tin of cloverine salve in the drug store hidden in a corner. it appeard to be the same tin that was used decades ago. since i sold it door to door when i wast ten and promised it would cure anything i wonder if we should try it?

nancy s. on 8/27/01 at 20:48 (058165)

now that i think more about it, you folks with the flying birks may be missing the boat.
a few months after i got my first birks, oh, let's see, back in december or so of 1999, i tripped over a cat here in the house and landed just as you're describing -- on the hard edge of my birk, with my pf foot.
but maybe i landed just right, because my pf may never have been as bad after that (other things got bad, yes, but pf was improving).
maybe you all simply need to aim correctly?

john, you promised that cloverine would cure anything? do you sell cars? well i'm not against trying it -- you go first.

nancy

john h on 8/27/01 at 20:59 (058168)

well why not cloverine? i drink cherry concentrate and rub jade oil on my feet along with various other ointments. what is this about judy and plato and aristotle? last time i saw her i think she had a copy of 'Man Magazine'! Are you going back into the antique business?

nancy s. on 8/27/01 at 22:29 (058180)

i'm selling antiques in a space i rent in one shop. this means i'm about one-twentieth as busy working as I was pre-PF. husband and i are spending every spare moment trying to find a combination house & shop situation, so i can have my own antiques shop (tough combo to find). if i have my own shop, i won't need to run around on my feet ten hours a day to all the various shops i was in before. only then will i feel i can immerse myself in work the way i used to, and feel as fully recovered in life as i can after the black hole of the last two+ years! this is what i hope for, my biggest goal and biggest challenge. so many interesting people in this line of work, you wouldn't believe -- they could wake me up and my involvement with them would help me see all this time since PF began as history, as the past, and the present could come forward and i could grab it. this is how it all feels and looks to me now, anyway.... thanks for asking. it makes the possibility seem more real.

JudyS on 8/30/01 at 13:19 (058484)

John dear, you are attempting to type-cast me. 'Man Magazine'? I think not. It was actually 'Better Homes & Gardens' Did you forget your bifocals that day or was it just wishful thinking? :)
In fact, when I was visiting with NancyS that beautiful summer evening in Maine, I did see Plato and Ari on her bookshelf.....they looked dusty and uncomfortable so we offered them a share of the vine.....they were great company in that they partook in silence and allowed us to observe their beauty all we wished.

nancy s. on 8/30/01 at 16:01 (058501)

judy, you are too funny.
plato and ari are still here, in case you'd like to know, and they're still dusty! poor guys. but they're better off this way -- i wore 'em out twenty years ago, and they're probably STILL trying to catch up on their rest.

john h on 8/24/01 at 19:05 (057867)

barb: i am sure nancy s, myself and other cat people can tell you some stories about cat litter in your birks which for me is a regular occurence. since i mow the lawn in my birks i get all sort of good things in them that can do cause pain.

Donna M on 8/24/01 at 20:18 (057881)

Foreign objects in your Birk's are a real pain! What I have done that sends me sky high, is when I get in a hurry and somehow the Birk slides partially off of my foot, and I step down on that dang sharp ridge around the heel!!! Oucheee!!!

Barbara TX on 8/24/01 at 21:12 (057886)

Ouch! I have done that too. I also almost crashed a rental car in NJ because of my Birks. My foot was hurting the day after my surgery and so I slipped off the Boston on my left foot, and it slid under the brake. I tried to stop at an intersection, and that huge, hard Boston was totally wedged. I had to swerve and duck down to pull it out and hope for the best. I slid right to the edge of a busy intersection and since I was on drugs I laughed pretty hard, but later I realized what a mess that could have been. B.

Barbara TX on 8/24/01 at 21:17 (057887)

I wonder if cat litter sitting in them for a night would make them smell better. My Birks did NOT stink before I started using Jade, and now they smell weird. Any ideas? I am going to have to get a new pair before I see Dr. Z or he won't come near me. B.

Julie on 8/25/01 at 02:38 (057896)

Nancy, use Jade at night. The smell will be gone by morning, and your Birks will smell...well, however they normally smell.

BG CPed on 8/25/01 at 09:00 (057906)

Some folks have had luck with maloderous footwear by putting in ziplock and let sit in cold freezer for 2 days. In some cases the freeze will kill bacteria if that is source of smell

john h on 8/25/01 at 10:20 (057911)

donna you are right on about the birk slipping off and stepping on the sharp edge (ouch). i thought i was perhaps the only one doing that so have never mentioned it.

john h on 8/25/01 at 10:22 (057912)

barb i never have had that smelly foot problem. maybe a bath is in order (dial soap).

Nancy N on 8/25/01 at 11:55 (057920)

Donna--

You have hit on the reason I like the Milanos with the backstrap! If I am not careful in my Arizonas, sometimes one will fly off my foot and I am hopping to catch up with it (well, they don't usually go that far, but you get the picture). And it's much easier to get foreign objects out of sandals with the backstrap, too, since you can lift up your foot without the sandal falling off!

Re: Birks slippage

Julie on 8/25/01 at 12:03 (057924)

You guys have got to learn to grip with your toes!

BarbaraTX on 8/25/01 at 15:10 (057949)

Thank you, wise guy. But I swear to you, but Birks smelled lovely until the Jade. Their rapid deterioration was post-Jade. My feet are always dried carefullly and my nails perfectly, pinkly manicured. Husband thinks I have pretty feet, and they are the same size as his, so he serves as my shoe-lackey. If they fit him, they fit me. Yes, he is shorter than I am, but it doesn't look like it, because he has lots of thick hair. B.

john h on 8/25/01 at 16:37 (057956)

please do not get into the hair thing barb!

Re: A History of Birks/BARBARA!!

Donna M on 8/25/01 at 22:05 (057983)

Baking soda is good for getting odors out of about everything. The only problem you might have with Birks is with the soda being white, it might leave your footbed lighter, but odorless!! :)
Donna

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/01 at 13:35 (058032)

You can get some nerve type of shocking feelings in the foot off and on.
It can come and go. Sometimes hot soaks will make it go. It is a very scary
feeling cause you think that electricity is running inside the foot

nancy s. on 8/26/01 at 22:37 (058062)

am i late or what? i enjoyed this list, and yes, cat litter has been one of the many choice items to have found their way into my birks. more include
paperclips
cheese
sand
an extra sock
plastic wrap from some nonedible in the kitchen
cigarette lighter
cat toy
coins
water because i can't wait to get out of shower shoes and into birks
and -- wendy, you can relate! -- snow. lots of it.
still worth it all, though, yes?
nancy

wendyn on 8/26/01 at 23:11 (058066)

Yes - I can relate to the snow in the Birks!

I missed this thread before, glad I took a look. I also have my shoes fly off and I have a tendency to land with the soft part of my arch right on the ridge of the Birk OUCH!!!!

When my Birks were stinky I scrubbed the footbeds with mild soap and water and a brush. Then I piled the beds high with baking soda and left them to dry. Tipped out the soda a day or two later and they were pretty decent.

john h on 8/27/01 at 08:55 (058084)

nancy s: my cloverine salve buddy! you have sure acquired some goodies in your birks. did i tell you i found a tin of cloverine salve in the drug store hidden in a corner. it appeard to be the same tin that was used decades ago. since i sold it door to door when i wast ten and promised it would cure anything i wonder if we should try it?

nancy s. on 8/27/01 at 20:48 (058165)

now that i think more about it, you folks with the flying birks may be missing the boat.
a few months after i got my first birks, oh, let's see, back in december or so of 1999, i tripped over a cat here in the house and landed just as you're describing -- on the hard edge of my birk, with my pf foot.
but maybe i landed just right, because my pf may never have been as bad after that (other things got bad, yes, but pf was improving).
maybe you all simply need to aim correctly?

john, you promised that cloverine would cure anything? do you sell cars? well i'm not against trying it -- you go first.

nancy

john h on 8/27/01 at 20:59 (058168)

well why not cloverine? i drink cherry concentrate and rub jade oil on my feet along with various other ointments. what is this about judy and plato and aristotle? last time i saw her i think she had a copy of 'Man Magazine'! Are you going back into the antique business?

nancy s. on 8/27/01 at 22:29 (058180)

i'm selling antiques in a space i rent in one shop. this means i'm about one-twentieth as busy working as I was pre-PF. husband and i are spending every spare moment trying to find a combination house & shop situation, so i can have my own antiques shop (tough combo to find). if i have my own shop, i won't need to run around on my feet ten hours a day to all the various shops i was in before. only then will i feel i can immerse myself in work the way i used to, and feel as fully recovered in life as i can after the black hole of the last two+ years! this is what i hope for, my biggest goal and biggest challenge. so many interesting people in this line of work, you wouldn't believe -- they could wake me up and my involvement with them would help me see all this time since PF began as history, as the past, and the present could come forward and i could grab it. this is how it all feels and looks to me now, anyway.... thanks for asking. it makes the possibility seem more real.

JudyS on 8/30/01 at 13:19 (058484)

John dear, you are attempting to type-cast me. 'Man Magazine'? I think not. It was actually 'Better Homes & Gardens' Did you forget your bifocals that day or was it just wishful thinking? :)
In fact, when I was visiting with NancyS that beautiful summer evening in Maine, I did see Plato and Ari on her bookshelf.....they looked dusty and uncomfortable so we offered them a share of the vine.....they were great company in that they partook in silence and allowed us to observe their beauty all we wished.

nancy s. on 8/30/01 at 16:01 (058501)

judy, you are too funny.
plato and ari are still here, in case you'd like to know, and they're still dusty! poor guys. but they're better off this way -- i wore 'em out twenty years ago, and they're probably STILL trying to catch up on their rest.