Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How long is a typical PF surgery recovery? Anyone like/dislike the nightsplints?

Posted by Kathy M on 8/25/01 at 08:35 (057903)

Hi. I had PF release surgery 8 weeks ago, and still have really bad morning and nighttime pain. I walk like an old lady! Has anyone tried the night splint, and what comments do you have? I just got one, and absolutely cannot get used to it. Any tricks? It seems hard to sleep in (I sleep on my stomach), so I just wear it for an hour or so each night while I watch TV. Does anybody like this thing? Is it worth it?? Also, can anyone write in and tell me how long your recovery period is, so I know if it is ok or not to still be in pain after 8 weeks? I would really appreciate hearing from anyone else about how long their recovery period was so I know what to expect. I also just bought the ice/magnet heel cups that are advertised on this site - any comments on those? I wore them for the first time last night, and they felt good, but the pain didn't subside. Is the night splint supposed to feel so awkward? You can tell I have a lot of questions - I am starting to doubt that this was a good idea to get the surgery done.....but no turning back now! Thanks so much for any input!! I appreciate it!! ~~Kathy

Re: How long is a typical PF surgery recovery? Anyone like/dislike the nightsplints?

Julie on 8/25/01 at 09:35 (057908)

Kathy, are you using the night splint as part of your doctor's post-surgery treatment? And what kind of night splint are you using? Most people who've tried it (and the doctors) seem to think the N'ice Stretch is the most comfortable brand. It is sold on this site (see the Products page). A little whole ago Scott, our webmaster, was offering returns for a reduced price. You could ask if any are still available.

One of the doctors will probably respond to your question about recovery time. I gather it can take anything up to six months or longer, so eight weeks is much too soon to start worrying.

Re: How long is a typical PF surgery recovery? Anyone like/dislike the nightsplints?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:46 (057940)

The style and brand of night splint, as Julie mentioned, can make a big difference in it's comfort. The night splint is important particularly if your achilles tendon is tight (limited upward foot motion). Hopefully, you are geeting a good program of physical therapy to speed relief.
Ed

Mike M on 8/27/01 at 17:06 (058135)

Kathy
I feel for you. I had my TTS and PF done in Feb of this year. Then in June I had to have scar tissue removed from the longer incision site. I use the NIce Splint, which was refered to here. It might be better, although I have nothing to compare it to, except the darn cam walker which I hated.
The splint is like trying to sleep with a box on your foot. Not real comfortable, but you do get used to it. How I have no idea, maybe its that your just that tired that you finally go to sleep :)
The worst part for me, would be if I woke up and had to go to the bathroom - no pun here. It does take some getting used to.
My problem was, at first I forgot to stretch. Therefore, my pod kept telling me I was awful tight and needed to stretch.
As for 8 weeks?
Each person is different. I had my scar tissue removed 8 or 9 weeks ago, and just returned to work Light Duty. I returned to work Light Duty in the same amount of time with the TTS/PF surgery.
Would I ride a bike, go fishing, or a long walk right now?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaw, not just yet. But each day you push it more.
Keep your chin up.

David G. on 8/29/01 at 09:20 (058340)

Which surgery did you have? An EPF or an open procedure. 8 weeks is too long for an EPF. I recovered after 2 weeks. As for the night splints, I found that the Straussberg Sock is the most comfortable of them all. It's literally a sock with a velcro connector up by your knee, dorsiflexing your foot. Good Luck.

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 13:08 (058587)

It can take months to notice if the surgery worked or not. I am having the surgery myself in two weeks.
My only advice is use pillows to surround your leg and support it with the splint on. I found sleeping on the couch was much more comfortable. I could put my back right up against the back of the couch and put my leg on a pillow.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 19:53 (058651)

It can take several months for a full recovery but patients generally should be able to tell if surgery was successful by about 6 weeks for the MIS approach nad 8 to 9 weeks for the open approach.
Ed

Julie on 8/25/01 at 09:35 (057908)

Kathy, are you using the night splint as part of your doctor's post-surgery treatment? And what kind of night splint are you using? Most people who've tried it (and the doctors) seem to think the N'ice Stretch is the most comfortable brand. It is sold on this site (see the Products page). A little whole ago Scott, our webmaster, was offering returns for a reduced price. You could ask if any are still available.

One of the doctors will probably respond to your question about recovery time. I gather it can take anything up to six months or longer, so eight weeks is much too soon to start worrying.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:46 (057940)

The style and brand of night splint, as Julie mentioned, can make a big difference in it's comfort. The night splint is important particularly if your achilles tendon is tight (limited upward foot motion). Hopefully, you are geeting a good program of physical therapy to speed relief.
Ed

Mike M on 8/27/01 at 17:06 (058135)

Kathy
I feel for you. I had my TTS and PF done in Feb of this year. Then in June I had to have scar tissue removed from the longer incision site. I use the NIce Splint, which was refered to here. It might be better, although I have nothing to compare it to, except the darn cam walker which I hated.
The splint is like trying to sleep with a box on your foot. Not real comfortable, but you do get used to it. How I have no idea, maybe its that your just that tired that you finally go to sleep :)
The worst part for me, would be if I woke up and had to go to the bathroom - no pun here. It does take some getting used to.
My problem was, at first I forgot to stretch. Therefore, my pod kept telling me I was awful tight and needed to stretch.
As for 8 weeks?
Each person is different. I had my scar tissue removed 8 or 9 weeks ago, and just returned to work Light Duty. I returned to work Light Duty in the same amount of time with the TTS/PF surgery.
Would I ride a bike, go fishing, or a long walk right now?
Naaaaaaaaaaaaw, not just yet. But each day you push it more.
Keep your chin up.

David G. on 8/29/01 at 09:20 (058340)

Which surgery did you have? An EPF or an open procedure. 8 weeks is too long for an EPF. I recovered after 2 weeks. As for the night splints, I found that the Straussberg Sock is the most comfortable of them all. It's literally a sock with a velcro connector up by your knee, dorsiflexing your foot. Good Luck.

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 13:08 (058587)

It can take months to notice if the surgery worked or not. I am having the surgery myself in two weeks.
My only advice is use pillows to surround your leg and support it with the splint on. I found sleeping on the couch was much more comfortable. I could put my back right up against the back of the couch and put my leg on a pillow.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 19:53 (058651)

It can take several months for a full recovery but patients generally should be able to tell if surgery was successful by about 6 weeks for the MIS approach nad 8 to 9 weeks for the open approach.
Ed