Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Got the first shot...what to expect next Dr Z. or Dr. Ed??

Posted by Carmen H on 8/25/01 at 13:38 (057935)

I got my first marcaine shots yesterday. Ummmm OUCH is the first thing that comes to mind. However...I don't feel ANY different. He said I am going to need a shot for every week I have had the problem (around 11) but will monitor my treatment and progress and stop with the shots when I show signs of improvement. He also said I am in the ACUTE stages of Pf and to do NO exercises or stretching except the hinging and rotating of the ankle. We need to let that PF calm down a bit and move into the chronic stage (or do I have the words mixed up?? you know what I mean) before we go on to that. Also that he will study my biomechanics AFTER I have a little less tension on the fascia. First thing first he said 'Calm down that fascia....it's raging right now even though the pain is dull and minimal'
Here's the question Dr.'s....Does this plan make sense? He says his specialty is PF Treatment and he says he will get me well if I do all the things I am supposed to do. Which of course I am!!!! He has a good success rate from what I have heard. Boy Dr. Z...that shot DID hurt!!!!
yeow!!!

Re: Got the first shot...what to expect next Dr Z. or Dr. Ed??

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:42 (057937)

Marcaine burns a lot going in so I tend to avoid it. One option is to numb the area with lidocaine (a kinder gentler anesthetic) first and then do the Marcaine.

You are basically getting pain control-- an attempt to break the pain cycle with such an anesthetic. As you know, most of us tend to use cortisone along with the anesthetic. How does your doc feel about that?
Ed

Re: used Steroid...

Carmen H on 8/27/01 at 07:08 (058076)

He used a spray to numb the area and then used a marcaine and steroid combo.
My foot hurts worse today then it did when I went in there Friday to get the shots.
I don't understand! He said I am in the acute stage....what's the difference and how can you tell just by looking at it? I am willing to do what I have to to get better but what if the treatment I am receiving is making me worse>?????

Re: Got the first shot...what to expect next Dr Z. or Dr. Ed??

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/25/01 at 13:42 (057937)

Marcaine burns a lot going in so I tend to avoid it. One option is to numb the area with lidocaine (a kinder gentler anesthetic) first and then do the Marcaine.

You are basically getting pain control-- an attempt to break the pain cycle with such an anesthetic. As you know, most of us tend to use cortisone along with the anesthetic. How does your doc feel about that?
Ed

Re: used Steroid...

Carmen H on 8/27/01 at 07:08 (058076)

He used a spray to numb the area and then used a marcaine and steroid combo.
My foot hurts worse today then it did when I went in there Friday to get the shots.
I don't understand! He said I am in the acute stage....what's the difference and how can you tell just by looking at it? I am willing to do what I have to to get better but what if the treatment I am receiving is making me worse>?????