Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lump under skin on ankle

Posted by Beverly on 8/26/01 at 11:40 (058019)

I recently discovered a lump on the front of my ankle. It is under the skin on the surface... can feel it but can't see it... about the width of a quarter or maybe fifty cent piece... only slightly raised... no color change or heat.

I went to my internist this week concerned about what it was since now I'm also experiencing an ache on the front of my ankle and going up the leg a bit. She said it was nothing but 'fatty tissue'... no big deal. She didn't seem interested in it... just told me not to have my massage therapist massage that area if it aggrevated it. But I'm wondering if this could be causing my front ankle pain... perhaps pressing on a nerve or if her diagnosis is correct, is it more likely that it is just the results of walking funny due to PF and AT? Also, how can she tell by just looking at it if it wasn't a cyst? I'm prone to them.
Thanks,
Beverly

Re: Lump under skin on ankle

BG CPed on 8/26/01 at 18:17 (058043)

get a second opinion, TELL them you want to know for sure what it is. Can be noting can be more but thats not something to take a cavalier attitude about from a diagnosis standpoint

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/01 at 19:02 (058047)

Hi,

It could be a ganglion,lipoma, if it is painful it needs further evaluation

Re: Thanks

Beverly on 8/26/01 at 20:20 (058055)

I must have been out of it when I posted this, because I thought I was on the doctor board. Thanks, for your feedback. Yes, I am going to show it to my foot/ankle doctor when I see him at my next appointment. My massage therapist noted that the referred pain I'm having with it might indicate that whatever the thing is, perhaps it is pressing on a nerve. Like I said, my main ache is just above it on that boney part of the front of the lower leg, just above the ankle. Not an area that has ever bothered me before. Whatever it is, it popped up all of a sudden. My massage therapist is the one who first found it and she says it wasn't there two weeks ago. Dr. Z, I'm going to look up those two things you said it might be. At least I have the peace of mind that it's not a blood clot. That is why I went in to the doctor, because my massage therapist didn't want to massage my ankle until we made sure it wasn't a clot.
Thanks,
Beverly

BG CPed on 8/26/01 at 18:17 (058043)

get a second opinion, TELL them you want to know for sure what it is. Can be noting can be more but thats not something to take a cavalier attitude about from a diagnosis standpoint

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/26/01 at 19:02 (058047)

Hi,

It could be a ganglion,lipoma, if it is painful it needs further evaluation

Re: Thanks

Beverly on 8/26/01 at 20:20 (058055)

I must have been out of it when I posted this, because I thought I was on the doctor board. Thanks, for your feedback. Yes, I am going to show it to my foot/ankle doctor when I see him at my next appointment. My massage therapist noted that the referred pain I'm having with it might indicate that whatever the thing is, perhaps it is pressing on a nerve. Like I said, my main ache is just above it on that boney part of the front of the lower leg, just above the ankle. Not an area that has ever bothered me before. Whatever it is, it popped up all of a sudden. My massage therapist is the one who first found it and she says it wasn't there two weeks ago. Dr. Z, I'm going to look up those two things you said it might be. At least I have the peace of mind that it's not a blood clot. That is why I went in to the doctor, because my massage therapist didn't want to massage my ankle until we made sure it wasn't a clot.
Thanks,
Beverly