Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To BG Cped ques on Univ Michigan O&P residency pgm

Posted by Donna SL on 8/26/01 at 14:47 (058041)

BG.

I did a search and found some info on the orthotist/prosthetist I saw a couple of weeks ago who is now in CA affiliated with a large teaching university. He obtained his residency certificate at the University of Michigan at the Orthotic/Prosthetic center in 1995. He also had a BA in Kinesiology, and a cert in O&P from two prior universities. He has a special interest in pathomechanics.

Are you familiar with the training they receive in foot orthotics at the University of Michigan, and know if their philosophy is similar to yours on cavus foot orthotics?

I thought I would ask, because I think you mentioned you worked with doctors, etc., at the University.

Donna

Re: To BG Cped ques on Univ Michigan O&P residency pgm

BG CPed on 8/26/01 at 18:46 (058045)

I am not familiar with the exact training they receive. While there are certain methods that are promoted by certain centers, just like fellowships they tend to teach similar theories and technique.
The problem is that the cavus device is something we have come up with over time. There is not a real focus on cavus fo other than shoe wedge, bracing, and some posting on insert taught at most schools.
It would seem to be obvious when you look at the general knowledge of treatment of cavus foot. I was watching cable and they showed a special on a person that had neuro induced cavus feet, the show was how cutting edge the treatment and this was a great hospital etc. The braces were 180 degree wrong in my opinion
So in short I would perhaps ask what type of device and background they would suggest for cavus foot. you will find several that claim to know how to treat it because that is what they were taught. If you feel comfortable with their explaination let them give it a shot.

Re: To BG Cped ques on Univ Michigan O&P residency pgm

BG CPed on 8/26/01 at 18:46 (058045)

I am not familiar with the exact training they receive. While there are certain methods that are promoted by certain centers, just like fellowships they tend to teach similar theories and technique.
The problem is that the cavus device is something we have come up with over time. There is not a real focus on cavus fo other than shoe wedge, bracing, and some posting on insert taught at most schools.
It would seem to be obvious when you look at the general knowledge of treatment of cavus foot. I was watching cable and they showed a special on a person that had neuro induced cavus feet, the show was how cutting edge the treatment and this was a great hospital etc. The braces were 180 degree wrong in my opinion
So in short I would perhaps ask what type of device and background they would suggest for cavus foot. you will find several that claim to know how to treat it because that is what they were taught. If you feel comfortable with their explaination let them give it a shot.