Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Night Splints

Posted by Kathy R on 8/27/01 at 14:55 (058115)

I've been using the night splints for about a month now, with no luck in helping this pain. What is the average time that they should start to work?

Kathy

Re: Night Splints

Nancy W on 8/27/01 at 15:51 (058128)

I've been using the night splint since June and I think it helps a tad, but it has not cured my PF. It seems to me that people with PF have to keep trying different things, or different combination of treatments to find what helps. So far, I have not made any real progress and am continuing to try various treatments in the hopes of finding one that truly helps. Good luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/27/01 at 22:37 (058185)

It would be great if the night splints could do it alone. They are not meant to do so but are part of a spectrum of treatment that leads to success.
Ed

CatherineL on 8/28/01 at 14:25 (058241)

Just bought a night splint last week.

My phisiotherapist told me yesterday that it must be worn every night for at least 2 months to get any help from it.

He also said the most imporatant time frame to wear them was the last 3 hours of sleep, so when you get up, everything is already stretched.

I like to have my feet sticking out of the blankets, nice and cool, I'm gonna hate this night splint thing.

Catherine

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/28/01 at 14:46 (058247)

You may start seeing some benefit at the end of 2 to 3 weeks, especially in terms of the morning pain. The 2 month period is important if the goal is to lengthen the achilles.
Ed

Nancy W on 8/27/01 at 15:51 (058128)

I've been using the night splint since June and I think it helps a tad, but it has not cured my PF. It seems to me that people with PF have to keep trying different things, or different combination of treatments to find what helps. So far, I have not made any real progress and am continuing to try various treatments in the hopes of finding one that truly helps. Good luck!

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/27/01 at 22:37 (058185)

It would be great if the night splints could do it alone. They are not meant to do so but are part of a spectrum of treatment that leads to success.
Ed

CatherineL on 8/28/01 at 14:25 (058241)

Just bought a night splint last week.

My phisiotherapist told me yesterday that it must be worn every night for at least 2 months to get any help from it.

He also said the most imporatant time frame to wear them was the last 3 hours of sleep, so when you get up, everything is already stretched.

I like to have my feet sticking out of the blankets, nice and cool, I'm gonna hate this night splint thing.

Catherine

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/28/01 at 14:46 (058247)

You may start seeing some benefit at the end of 2 to 3 weeks, especially in terms of the morning pain. The 2 month period is important if the goal is to lengthen the achilles.
Ed