Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Siemens Sonocur vs Ossatron

Posted by Dan L on 8/27/01 at 20:02 (058156)

If I have limited time for treatment of PF, which is best? Think I would have a higher chance of success with Sonocur or Ossatron? Is the Ossotron almost always used as a 'one blast' treatment? Is one blast from the Ossotron usually all it takes? Sonocur works great with multiple treatments but would cause longer time away from work to receive these multiple treatments over many days (or a few weeks)as compared to the Ossatron that, perhaps, only requires one treatment. Any advice?
Of course, I want to FIX MY FEET!!! Which seems to have a higher success rate? Is the success rate with the Sonocur higher if treatments are spaced out between a few weeks instead of crammed all into one week? PLEASE give me your advice and/or opinion. Thanks so very much.

Re: Siemens Sonocur vs Ossatron

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/27/01 at 22:39 (058186)

I will pass this on to Dr. Z. I do not think there is enough data out there yet to answer this question. It will probably take a few more years to know.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/01 at 06:11 (058201)

This is a good question . There is no studies done with this
There are advantages to each machine in regard to actual treatment

On the average you will find that both give the same results
but take different approaches to actual treatment

David L on 8/28/01 at 12:00 (058225)

Your are correct that the Sonocur requires more treatments (usually 3) as the energy levels are lower. In our experience in Vancouver, there is generally no difference (other than comfort level) of patients that have 3 treatments on consecutive days vs over 3 weeks. One thing that you definitely want to look at is recovery time afterwards. High energy devices generally have a longer recovery time. See http://www.podiatrytoday.com/archive/pod_200108/pod_200108f2.html for more information. Sonocur has treated many elite athletes who have gone back to their sport immediately.

Re: Siemens Sonocur vs Ossatron-Thanks!

Dan L on 8/28/01 at 16:37 (058261)

Thanks for your many kind comments!! Fantastic site, Scott!!!!

john h on 8/28/01 at 18:32 (058288)

David: what are your charges in Canada for 3 treatments on one foot for 3 consecutive days and what would be the charges for both feet on 3 consecutive days. We had one NBA player from Arkansas who went to Canada for treatment for PF. He is still playing. I was talking to one of the NBA players last week while in the whirlpool.He was telling me that players do not like to tell other players or the coaches when they are hurting. He also noted many of the players if not most wore orthotics and he knew of many who had experienced PF.

David Lowy on 8/29/01 at 11:27 (058351)

The charge in Canada for a series of 3 treatments is CA$750 or approx US$525. This is for all 3 treatments, not $750 per. If somebody has two sites, ie... elbow and heel, or both heels, the charge would be CA$1500.

As for the NBA, one of the NBA team physicians is currently doing a double-blind study here on patellar tendinitis using ESWT. Study should be complete in the next couple of months.

Lee M. on 8/30/01 at 04:12 (058427)

1. Is this for the Vancouver office, the Eastern Canada office, or both?
2. How much advance notice is required to schedule a series of 3 Sonocur treatments in a week?

David L on 8/30/01 at 12:15 (058473)

Same price in all clinics in Canada. A couple of day's notice and a doctor's referral is required. More info is available by calling
1 877 766-6287

Pauline on 9/03/01 at 12:52 (058925)

Hi,
I didn't know that all three treatments were delivered within the same week. This would be an advantage for travelers to Canada. It's over and done within the same week.

john h on 9/04/01 at 09:51 (058999)

Pauline: i think i read that 3 treatments can be delivered in 3 successive days with the sonnocur. dr z is it your plan to obtain a sonnocur?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/01 at 18:21 (059146)

I am not sure what my treatment protocol would be but Heidi from Bayshore
ESWT center has alot of experience with the machine . If I do get this specific machine then I will take some time and go there to see just how they are using this ESWT treatment.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/27/01 at 22:39 (058186)

I will pass this on to Dr. Z. I do not think there is enough data out there yet to answer this question. It will probably take a few more years to know.
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/01 at 06:11 (058201)

This is a good question . There is no studies done with this
There are advantages to each machine in regard to actual treatment

On the average you will find that both give the same results
but take different approaches to actual treatment

David L on 8/28/01 at 12:00 (058225)

Your are correct that the Sonocur requires more treatments (usually 3) as the energy levels are lower. In our experience in Vancouver, there is generally no difference (other than comfort level) of patients that have 3 treatments on consecutive days vs over 3 weeks. One thing that you definitely want to look at is recovery time afterwards. High energy devices generally have a longer recovery time. See http://www.podiatrytoday.com/archive/pod_200108/pod_200108f2.html for more information. Sonocur has treated many elite athletes who have gone back to their sport immediately.

Re: Siemens Sonocur vs Ossatron-Thanks!

Dan L on 8/28/01 at 16:37 (058261)

Thanks for your many kind comments!! Fantastic site, Scott!!!!

john h on 8/28/01 at 18:32 (058288)

David: what are your charges in Canada for 3 treatments on one foot for 3 consecutive days and what would be the charges for both feet on 3 consecutive days. We had one NBA player from Arkansas who went to Canada for treatment for PF. He is still playing. I was talking to one of the NBA players last week while in the whirlpool.He was telling me that players do not like to tell other players or the coaches when they are hurting. He also noted many of the players if not most wore orthotics and he knew of many who had experienced PF.

David Lowy on 8/29/01 at 11:27 (058351)

The charge in Canada for a series of 3 treatments is CA$750 or approx US$525. This is for all 3 treatments, not $750 per. If somebody has two sites, ie... elbow and heel, or both heels, the charge would be CA$1500.

As for the NBA, one of the NBA team physicians is currently doing a double-blind study here on patellar tendinitis using ESWT. Study should be complete in the next couple of months.

Lee M. on 8/30/01 at 04:12 (058427)

1. Is this for the Vancouver office, the Eastern Canada office, or both?
2. How much advance notice is required to schedule a series of 3 Sonocur treatments in a week?

David L on 8/30/01 at 12:15 (058473)

Same price in all clinics in Canada. A couple of day's notice and a doctor's referral is required. More info is available by calling
1 877 766-6287

Pauline on 9/03/01 at 12:52 (058925)

Hi,
I didn't know that all three treatments were delivered within the same week. This would be an advantage for travelers to Canada. It's over and done within the same week.

john h on 9/04/01 at 09:51 (058999)

Pauline: i think i read that 3 treatments can be delivered in 3 successive days with the sonnocur. dr z is it your plan to obtain a sonnocur?

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/01 at 18:21 (059146)

I am not sure what my treatment protocol would be but Heidi from Bayshore
ESWT center has alot of experience with the machine . If I do get this specific machine then I will take some time and go there to see just how they are using this ESWT treatment.