Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT for PF after failed EPF and Prolotherapy?

Posted by BrianG on 8/28/01 at 10:50 (058213)

Doctors, some feedback please. I've had the PF for over 7 years. 3 years ago I had 4 Prolotherapy injections. 2 years ago I had failed EPF surgery. I'm still considering ESWT, before any more surgery. My question concerns the Prolotherapy. If you know anything about it, they inject a natural irritant into the heel, the body then sends blood, etc, and begins the healing process. Now, isn't this almost the same thing that happens with ESWT? I'm kind of looking at the Prolotherapy as a poor man's ESWT. Since it failed, do you think the ESWT would have a better chance of success, or are they doing the same thing????

Thanks in advance
BCG

Re: ESWT for PF after failed EPF and Prolotherapy?

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/01 at 11:22 (058220)

In theory what you say is true. I don't know of any studies or proof that
protherapy does in fact cause increase blood supply and thus healing to the area. So very difficult to answer or compare the two.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/28/01 at 14:40 (058244)

A lot of what I have read about prolotherapy suggests that it thickens the ligaments about a joint with the goal of increasing the ligamentous support on a painful joint. I am not sure that it is a good goal for the plantar fascia as we are looking for increased 'flexibility' of the fascia.
Ed

Re: Thanks

BrianG on 8/29/01 at 09:04 (058339)

Prolotherapy is suggested for PF, by the Prolo docs. I know it has worked for other joint, type ailments. I have never heard of it helping someone with PF. Thankfully it didn't seem to harm me. Looks like ESWT is still a consideration for me.

BCG

Dr. Zuckerman on 8/28/01 at 11:22 (058220)

In theory what you say is true. I don't know of any studies or proof that
protherapy does in fact cause increase blood supply and thus healing to the area. So very difficult to answer or compare the two.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/28/01 at 14:40 (058244)

A lot of what I have read about prolotherapy suggests that it thickens the ligaments about a joint with the goal of increasing the ligamentous support on a painful joint. I am not sure that it is a good goal for the plantar fascia as we are looking for increased 'flexibility' of the fascia.
Ed

Re: Thanks

BrianG on 8/29/01 at 09:04 (058339)

Prolotherapy is suggested for PF, by the Prolo docs. I know it has worked for other joint, type ailments. I have never heard of it helping someone with PF. Thankfully it didn't seem to harm me. Looks like ESWT is still a consideration for me.

BCG