Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Data

Posted by john h on 8/28/01 at 11:04 (058216)

Brian: first concerning my statment about ESWT being without risk. I stand corrected. Scotts ESWT survery as of today had 123 patients posting on the results of their ESWT treatments. I noted two of the 123 who had a worse pain level after than before. One of these was Barb and if it is Texas Barb i think she noted in her last post she was no worse or better as a result of ESWT. Scotts averages for the 123 patients was Pain Level Before Treatment: 8.3. Pain Level After Treatment: 3.3. Activity Before Treatment: 4.3. Activity After Treatment: 6.9. These patients were from a variety of machines and different doctors. Scott attempted to insure the results were not schewed. One hundred twenty three patients is not enough to make a valid statisical conclusion and we did not use a true statistical analysis. But this information is worthy of note and should help guide anyone considering this form of treatment. I doubt that we will ever know for sure if ESWT cures a problem or makes it worse. Time and circumstances could cause either. I am just optimistic enough to think than everyone out there is going to get better no matter how far down in the dumps they are at this moment. They just have endure and keep on trying and learning. Your improvement will also come.
Perhaps this the pilot or dreamer in me talking. No matter how bad a mission i might be going on i knew i was going to make it back.

Re: ESWT Data

john h on 8/28/01 at 11:53 (058223)

Brian: I like the info provided by Bayshore Clinic in Canada. The following URL will provide you with some interesting information concerning ESWT and some contraindications. this may have been updated since you last looked at this Dr Z as they do discuss joules and focal points. http://www.eswt.bayshore.ca/

john h on 8/28/01 at 11:54 (058224)

forgot to add: go to Background and Literature when you arrive at the site.

Barbara TX on 8/28/01 at 18:19 (058283)

Yes, that's right. I was made no worse... it just took some time to get back to my original 'miserable' level. I will have to adjust the data somehow. There is even a possibility that Dr. Z might think that I was better than before, objectively. I do know that he made the determination that ESWT didn't do for me what he envisioned it to do, so we decided on surgery. B.

john h on 8/28/01 at 18:27 (058286)

barb: go to the ESWT survey and update your info. there is no index level titled 'miserable'. i know your aversion to numbers but you will have to use the scale from 1-10 not the scale from good to bad to miserable.

paul s on 8/29/01 at 20:09 (058396)

hello i am a long time sufferer of pf next friday i am trying ESWT for the first time i am nervous and aprehensive
also concerned about the cost 2500 could everyone ou ther please let me know about there experences thanks

john h on 8/29/01 at 20:34 (058399)

paul: which machine will you be having ESWT done? my experience is that it less pain than cleaning your teeth. hope it helps you as some people have had good success. be sure and view the ESWT survey on this board. 123 post from people who have had the treatment.

john h on 8/28/01 at 11:53 (058223)

Brian: I like the info provided by Bayshore Clinic in Canada. The following URL will provide you with some interesting information concerning ESWT and some contraindications. this may have been updated since you last looked at this Dr Z as they do discuss joules and focal points. http://www.eswt.bayshore.ca/

john h on 8/28/01 at 11:54 (058224)

forgot to add: go to Background and Literature when you arrive at the site.

Barbara TX on 8/28/01 at 18:19 (058283)

Yes, that's right. I was made no worse... it just took some time to get back to my original 'miserable' level. I will have to adjust the data somehow. There is even a possibility that Dr. Z might think that I was better than before, objectively. I do know that he made the determination that ESWT didn't do for me what he envisioned it to do, so we decided on surgery. B.

john h on 8/28/01 at 18:27 (058286)

barb: go to the ESWT survey and update your info. there is no index level titled 'miserable'. i know your aversion to numbers but you will have to use the scale from 1-10 not the scale from good to bad to miserable.

paul s on 8/29/01 at 20:09 (058396)

hello i am a long time sufferer of pf next friday i am trying ESWT for the first time i am nervous and aprehensive
also concerned about the cost 2500 could everyone ou ther please let me know about there experences thanks

john h on 8/29/01 at 20:34 (058399)

paul: which machine will you be having ESWT done? my experience is that it less pain than cleaning your teeth. hope it helps you as some people have had good success. be sure and view the ESWT survey on this board. 123 post from people who have had the treatment.