Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anyone try lemon juice for TTS?

Posted by elliott on 8/28/01 at 13:10 (058229)

The following is an article from the Times of London, dated August 20 of this year (I posted something similar in reponse to someone with a vascular problem in the Treatments forum):

--------

Lemon juice 'cuts the risk of DVT' BY DAVID CHARTER, HEALTH CORRESPONDENT LEMON juice can help to prevent 'economy-class syndrome' by improving blood circulation during long-haul flights, scientists believe.
Passengers should drink lemon juice at least once every five hours to cut the risk of deep vein thrombosis (DVT), the formation of potentially fatal blood clots, Japanese researchers claim.
A research team at Tokai Gakuen University, Nagoya City, said that two substances in lemon juice can help to protect against DVT. Citric acid and lemon polyphenol lower the chance of blood clotting and help to regulate blood circulation.
The group plans to release full details of the findings in September at a meeting of the Japanese Society for Food Science and Technology. The researchers gave 13 volunteers a drink containing the juice of one large lemon. Blood travelled 19 per cent faster in veins afterwards.
Sukie Nishibori, research team leader, said that airline passengers should have a lemon drink once every five hours.
DVT is a potentially fatal condition caused by blood clots forming in the legs after sitting for extended periods in the same position. Emma Christoffersen, 28, from Newport, south Wales, collapsed and died after a 20-hour flight from Australia to Britain last October. Other passengers who believe they have survived similar blood clots are suing large airlines.
Long-haul passengers are also advised to avoid alcohol on flights, walk around the aircraft and exercise in their seats to reduce the risk of clotting.

------

If your TTS is caused by a varicose vein, maybe this is worth trying. Even if you don't know if it is, it might be caused by a vein, in which case you lose nothing by trying it. Even if it's caused by something else, maybe it will enable more space in the tarsal tunnel due to the veins sort of taking up less space there, in which case we will have discovered an aid for TTS unknown to all the brilliant docs we've been seeing. And, of course, you will no doubt gain relief due to the placebo effect. :-)

Re: anyone try lemon juice for TTS?

cindyp on 8/28/01 at 14:59 (058251)

No didn't try that. They wanted to dope me up on a bunch of unnecessary meds. Just went to thefoot and ankle surgeon. Got the vein and tumor removed. Now good to go.

Lori R on 8/28/01 at 18:05 (058280)

Thanks for the info Elliott. I'm going on vacation next week and will be flying to Europe. I'll be sure to partake of some lemon juice ;-0 (That's what my face looks like when biting into a lemon. Oh, wait a minute, maybe that face was from the tequila right before the lemon!) Anyway, if it doesn't cure my TTS maybe at least I won't die going on or returning from vacation! :-)

Lori

cindyp on 8/28/01 at 14:59 (058251)

No didn't try that. They wanted to dope me up on a bunch of unnecessary meds. Just went to thefoot and ankle surgeon. Got the vein and tumor removed. Now good to go.

Lori R on 8/28/01 at 18:05 (058280)

Thanks for the info Elliott. I'm going on vacation next week and will be flying to Europe. I'll be sure to partake of some lemon juice ;-0 (That's what my face looks like when biting into a lemon. Oh, wait a minute, maybe that face was from the tequila right before the lemon!) Anyway, if it doesn't cure my TTS maybe at least I won't die going on or returning from vacation! :-)

Lori