Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

race and gender effects on plantar fasciitis

Posted by ca on 8/28/01 at 17:51 (058275)

How does race and gender affect the healing time of plantar fasciitis

Re: race and gender effects on plantar fasciitis

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/29/01 at 00:04 (058312)

I have not seen any research in this area. I have not seen any differences in the progress of plantar fascia, based on experience, when it comes to race nor gender.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 8/29/01 at 08:52 (058337)

I went back and studied my patient cases. I found that the majority of our black patients have flat feet. You would think that at least some would have PF. None did. We made orthotics to treat conditions such as post tib tendonitis, hallux valgus..and so on, but no PF. All of our PF patients have been white.

As for healing time...that will vary patient to patient. We have had symptoms go away in as little as two weeks, to as long as six months. It depends sometimes on how active they are, and what type of work they do. It also depends on your body. Each body heals at different times. Compliance plays a huge factor as well.

When it comes down to it...it is really hard to say.
Richard

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/29/01 at 00:04 (058312)

I have not seen any research in this area. I have not seen any differences in the progress of plantar fascia, based on experience, when it comes to race nor gender.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 8/29/01 at 08:52 (058337)

I went back and studied my patient cases. I found that the majority of our black patients have flat feet. You would think that at least some would have PF. None did. We made orthotics to treat conditions such as post tib tendonitis, hallux valgus..and so on, but no PF. All of our PF patients have been white.

As for healing time...that will vary patient to patient. We have had symptoms go away in as little as two weeks, to as long as six months. It depends sometimes on how active they are, and what type of work they do. It also depends on your body. Each body heals at different times. Compliance plays a huge factor as well.

When it comes down to it...it is really hard to say.
Richard