Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has anyone been to pain mgmt clinic ?

Posted by linda A on 8/28/01 at 18:04 (058279)

should have wrote this question before now . will be going to a pain doc tomorrow . i was wondering what kind of ' off the label drugs ' for nonnarcotic meds has the pain sufferers been trying and what has worked for them . i have a list of some anti-depressants and anti-seizure drugs , but really have only heard of two ( elavil and neurontin ) drugs being prescribed . how well do they work and have you tried any other nonnarcotic drugs ( have tried vioxx , naprosyn , celebryx , and the other anti -inflammatory pills )? have the typical painful feet , that i wish were cut off . throbbing pain along my high arches ( yes, i wear custom ortho --- my third set in one yr ) , burning and pulling sensation under foot , and heels throbb . all the treatment has been done , now pods want me to think about pain mgmt . any help would be appreciated .

Re: has anyone been to pain mgmt clinic ?

Lynda S on 8/29/01 at 17:10 (058382)

Linda:

I went through a pain clinic's ten-week course about four years ago after all else was tried including surgery twice. I was put on Nortriptyline because the Amitriptyline (Elavil) left a terrible taste in my mouth. I also take one Neurontin and Ultram for breakthrough. I found the course to be very helpful. It was hard at first to admit that pain management was all that was left, but it did work for me. As it was emphasized in the class, you have to start managing the pain and not let it manage you!
Lynda

linda A on 8/29/01 at 19:02 (058392)

thank you LYNDA fo responding ! what type of foot problem did you have ? i take it that you are still in pain . my depression has gotten worse ,since i have been told that i have this chronic pain syndrome . all year i have been patient , not over doing it ( THAT'S A LAUGH ) . i barely make it thru the work day ( standing job ) . how do you deal w/ the pain ? it has taken my life away . i used to love exercising , but now i am too tired from my achy feet to think about going to the store .

Lynda S on 8/30/01 at 19:10 (058517)

Linda:
My plantar fasciitis in both feet was brought on by exercising, high-impact aerobics! So obviously I don't do that any more. I have a desk job sitting 90 percent of the time so I thought I'd get in shape with some aerobics. That was 9 years ago. I was pretty miserable the first few years. The pain management course, combined with medication (Nortriptyline, Neurontion, and Ultram), and wearing Birkenstocks all the time have all helped me so I feel I'm half human again. I remember all too well sitting at home declining to go out because I knew I'd be in excruciating pain if I did whatever activity somebody wanted me to. I know exactly how you feel. If I had a job where I stood for any length of time, I wouldn't be able to continue. Oh, I'm also in the Jade trial which has helped too. You find over time what works for you and stick with it. For some people it's stretching (made mine worse), surgery(didn't help at all), icing (helped numb them), cortisone shots (only temporary help). It takes time, but don't give up. There is also prayer that God won't give you more than what you can handle. Hang in there.
Lynda

Lynda S on 8/29/01 at 17:10 (058382)

Linda:

I went through a pain clinic's ten-week course about four years ago after all else was tried including surgery twice. I was put on Nortriptyline because the Amitriptyline (Elavil) left a terrible taste in my mouth. I also take one Neurontin and Ultram for breakthrough. I found the course to be very helpful. It was hard at first to admit that pain management was all that was left, but it did work for me. As it was emphasized in the class, you have to start managing the pain and not let it manage you!
Lynda

linda A on 8/29/01 at 19:02 (058392)

thank you LYNDA fo responding ! what type of foot problem did you have ? i take it that you are still in pain . my depression has gotten worse ,since i have been told that i have this chronic pain syndrome . all year i have been patient , not over doing it ( THAT'S A LAUGH ) . i barely make it thru the work day ( standing job ) . how do you deal w/ the pain ? it has taken my life away . i used to love exercising , but now i am too tired from my achy feet to think about going to the store .

Lynda S on 8/30/01 at 19:10 (058517)

Linda:
My plantar fasciitis in both feet was brought on by exercising, high-impact aerobics! So obviously I don't do that any more. I have a desk job sitting 90 percent of the time so I thought I'd get in shape with some aerobics. That was 9 years ago. I was pretty miserable the first few years. The pain management course, combined with medication (Nortriptyline, Neurontion, and Ultram), and wearing Birkenstocks all the time have all helped me so I feel I'm half human again. I remember all too well sitting at home declining to go out because I knew I'd be in excruciating pain if I did whatever activity somebody wanted me to. I know exactly how you feel. If I had a job where I stood for any length of time, I wouldn't be able to continue. Oh, I'm also in the Jade trial which has helped too. You find over time what works for you and stick with it. For some people it's stretching (made mine worse), surgery(didn't help at all), icing (helped numb them), cortisone shots (only temporary help). It takes time, but don't give up. There is also prayer that God won't give you more than what you can handle. Hang in there.
Lynda