Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

has anyone seen a pain mgmt doc or take nonnarcotic pain meds

Posted by linda A on 8/29/01 at 17:04 (058380)

i posted last night on the tarsal tunnel message board , since i had a open p.f. and TTR last year , however i haven't heard from anyone . short story --- still having alot of pain from the surgery . now 2 diff pod are suggesting pain mgmt clinic . have read literature on the type of drugs being used to increase the serotonin levels and the ones helping w/ nerve pain . but the two most commonly prescribed are elavil (antidepressant )and neurontin ( anti seizure ). has anyone taken these drugs and were they successful ? what other nonnarcotic drugs were you prescribed to treat the pain ? have been on vioxx , daypro , naprosyn and ibuprofen and ultram , but nothing has seemed to help . the session w/ pain clinic did not go to well . i left before seeing the doc . had problems w/ the staff . any help would be appreciated .

Re: has anyone seen a pain mgmt doc or take nonnarcotic pain meds

john h on 8/29/01 at 18:25 (058386)

i have used the drug Ultram. It is not a narcotic, not an anti inflamatory and is easy on your stomach, and not a lot of side effects. of course, different people respond differently to the same drug. ask your doc about this one. it had some benefical effects for me whereas i never took one anti-inlamatory that helped a little and i think i must have tried them all.

Henry C on 8/30/01 at 14:15 (058490)

Linda,

I have had two surgeries for tarsal tunnel and have been seen at my local pain management clinic. At the clinic all they want to do is prescirbe meds. The more you ask for, the more they will give you.

I have tried just about everything from elavil, neurontin to oxycontin. Nothing seemed to really take the pain away. The elavil made me sleep all the time. The oxycontin just made me crazy, I did not eat, sleep or do anything else. I was a walking zombie. When asked by my pain management doctor how I was doing I said it wasn't working and he wanted to double my prescription.

I finally had to go into the hospital to get straightened out. I think you build up a tollarance to most of these meds after time. It's only natural to have to take more and more. Before you know it, it's to late.

Everyone does not respond the same to every medication. I only caution you to be aware of what things can be like if you are not to careful.

Good Luck.

BrianC on 8/31/01 at 06:30 (058564)

HeneryC is correct, every one builds up a tolerance to narcotics over time. Does this mean you should not take them? Not all pain clinis will dispense as Henery experienced. I believe the pain meds will be a valuable assest in the healing, or maintenance process. Most people can easily taper off the meds when they are no longer needed. If done correctly, tapering is very effective, even though it make 2-3 months, depening on how long you were on the meds.

Henery, if your reading this, do you think your experience was the norm? From what I've read, the people who run into trouble abusing their meds, is less than 5%. I think unfortunatly you fell into that catagory.

I'm also a 5 percenter. I'm in the 5% of the PF sufferer's who cannot be cured (so far).

I just wanted people to realize that I believe Henery is in the minority when it comes to people running into problems while taking narcotics for pain control.

BCG

John, I knew someone with severe back pain that took Ultram. It worked for a couple years, but he finally had to change to something stronger. What we really need here, is a non-narcotic pain relieer that WILL WORK !!!! Is that asking too much?

Re: what are the pf and tts sufferers doing to reduce their pain ? ?

linda A on 8/31/01 at 16:32 (058624)

have only heard from a few sufferers regarding nonnarcotic meds ( elavil , neurontin ) , so what are the rest of the pain sufferers doing to relieve their pain . i feel like cutting off my feet . the appt i had w/ the pain clinic did not go very well . i ended up leaving before i saw the doc , because of his inconsiderate staff . what really made me mad was this sign posted saying if the pt was more than 10 min late , you might as well reschedule your appt because they would not see you and any cancell visits would be $ 50 . well the pain doc was over 1hr late . should he reimburse me for my time ( i arrived 15 min before the schedule appt )? so , now i have to wait another month to see a different pain doc from another clinic .

john h on 8/31/01 at 20:01 (058652)

i agree that most meds after a while you will build up a tolerance . when i was using ultram i would some times skip several days and take at a much less dose than recommended to try to avoid this loss of tolerance. it interesting to note that studies indicate that people taking medications for real pain have a much reduced incidence of addiction to narcottics. they have not determined why this is so but it has been shown in medical studies. any narcotics i have taken after surgery sure did not provide me with any uplifting feeling. as a matter of fact i hated the spaced out feeling. i could never be a drug addict because if the drugs i took are any indication of what a high feels like it sucks.

wendyn on 8/31/01 at 23:12 (058670)

Linda - I have heard of people sending their doctors a bill for their time spent wasted in the waiting room. I'm sure that it doesn't get paid - but it does make a point.

I think most doctors do try their best though. I remember one time having an appointment with my doctor. I called ahead and they agreed to also squeeze an appointment in for my youngest who needed stiches removed. Then, I showed up with my 12 year old who was having sudden pain. They ended up cramming all 3 of us into one appointment slot. When I left 45 minutes later the waiting room was PACKED - but my doctor was sending me straight to the Children's hospital because me 12 year old needed emergency surgey (picked him up from school at 2:00 they operated before 5:00). In the end - even though those people waiting were inconvienced - I didn't have a choice and neither did the doctor.

This isn't to belittle your frustration - I really can relate to the incosideration some doctors have for our time.

When my pain was bad I mostly used ice and elevation - the drugs really bother me. Acupuncture eventually provided me a lot of relief - if you haven't tried it yet - you may want to give it a go.

Re: can not take narcotics while working

linda A on 9/01/01 at 17:09 (058726)

narcotics makes me sleepy , so i will not be able to take them while working . i was wanting to find a med to help ease the pain at work , while i am standing most of the 8 hrs . the situation w/ the staff began when i signed ' IN ' . i gave the secretary forms in which i had already filled out , which included the insurance , medical history , and etc. she didn't say anything . so , i sat down . then she calls my name for me to get back up and give her my insurance card . i went back to my seat until she calls my name again . this time she wants me to fill out more forms . when i handed them in , she did not say anything . she waited until i sat back down to call me once more to the front desk , so i could give her my co-payment . i said , is this everything or should i take my seat once more for you to call my name . i told her that my feet were in pain . she didn't like that and she told me so . when i was in the examining room is when i heard the doc was going to be another 30 min late , so i asked where the restroom was located . they said i would have to wait until a key was brought back , because they didn't have a public restroom . i said you don't understand i have interstitial cystitis ( bladder can not wait ). the secretary said i still had to wait for the key to be brought back ( restroom was outside of the clinic down a long hallway ) . i can not believe that there was not one restroom in that clinic . that is when i got aggitated and ask for my co-payment back and left the clinic w/o seeing the pain doc . i don't mind waiting to see any doc , because i know all about emergencies ( work in hospital ) .

wendyn on 9/01/01 at 17:26 (058728)

Linda - although I can understand how some people may not realize how frustrating it can be having to sit down, get up, sit down in pain. I would expect a receptionist in a pain clinic to know better. I remember all too well what it was like to think that if I had to spend just one more second on my feet I would scream. I hope your next experience is better!

Laurie R on 9/01/01 at 21:17 (058747)

Hi Linda , Frist of all I am so sorry that you were treated that way . To me there is no reason for it at all. YOu would think that she would of had some type of compassion towards people in pain by working in a pain clinic. I would of done the same thing as you did .I would of been out the door. I have done this before at a clinic I had to go to when I first hurt my foot. I called my WC insurance company and asked if I could go somewhere else for treatment . They did find me a better clinic . They made me wait about 2 hours ,by the time I got in the room I was like I am in pain and I am not waiting anymore. That was the first time I had ever walked out of a doctor's office and it felt so good.

I am to start at a pain management center in a few weeks .I sure hope they help me . I have had foot problems now for over two years.

Is their another PM center near you ,you can go to ?? Keep us updated ....

My very best to you ,Laurie R

Re: yes, have another appt w/ a diff pain clinic

linda A on 9/02/01 at 11:44 (058787)

yes , i schedule another appt w/ a diff pain clinic , however it will not be until october . thank for all your support . i am glad that i have found this web site . my friends do not understand the pain that i am going thru . since , i hardly complain at work about my feet my co-workers thought everything was going great . hate to be a known as a ' cry baby ' . but , they could not notice how i was walking to compensate for the pain . until some of them started to have heel pain they truely did not understand what one has to endure . i would hate to wish this disease on anyone , but if mgmt or human resource personnel had to go thru this pain they would treat people a little more differently . i can remember applying for short term disability , when the lady on the phone said , i would not need to be off for 2 months ( both feet needed to be operated on one month apart ) . take care my new foot friends .

ellen w on 9/04/01 at 15:01 (059015)

Linda,
I'm on Mobic, an osteoarthritis drug, and am finding it helpful. No side effects except for a slight tinny taste about an hour after taking it. It's like vioxx in that it's one pill you take once a day, but has a different mechanism of action -- so it's possible that if Vioxx didn't work for you, this drug might. This is for PF on my right leg, plus some ongoing stiffness in both legs. Last year/earlier this year, I had a problem in my other leg with retrocalcaneal bursitis, and found some relief with an herbal supplement, MSM, plus going cold turkey on drinking carbonated beverages. Naprosyn and other similar NSAIDS hadn't helped at all. This have helped with pain associated with inflammation and stiffness -- if your pain is originating from another source, do not know if they will help.

john h on 8/29/01 at 18:25 (058386)

i have used the drug Ultram. It is not a narcotic, not an anti inflamatory and is easy on your stomach, and not a lot of side effects. of course, different people respond differently to the same drug. ask your doc about this one. it had some benefical effects for me whereas i never took one anti-inlamatory that helped a little and i think i must have tried them all.

Henry C on 8/30/01 at 14:15 (058490)

Linda,

I have had two surgeries for tarsal tunnel and have been seen at my local pain management clinic. At the clinic all they want to do is prescirbe meds. The more you ask for, the more they will give you.

I have tried just about everything from elavil, neurontin to oxycontin. Nothing seemed to really take the pain away. The elavil made me sleep all the time. The oxycontin just made me crazy, I did not eat, sleep or do anything else. I was a walking zombie. When asked by my pain management doctor how I was doing I said it wasn't working and he wanted to double my prescription.

I finally had to go into the hospital to get straightened out. I think you build up a tollarance to most of these meds after time. It's only natural to have to take more and more. Before you know it, it's to late.

Everyone does not respond the same to every medication. I only caution you to be aware of what things can be like if you are not to careful.

Good Luck.

BrianC on 8/31/01 at 06:30 (058564)

HeneryC is correct, every one builds up a tolerance to narcotics over time. Does this mean you should not take them? Not all pain clinis will dispense as Henery experienced. I believe the pain meds will be a valuable assest in the healing, or maintenance process. Most people can easily taper off the meds when they are no longer needed. If done correctly, tapering is very effective, even though it make 2-3 months, depening on how long you were on the meds.

Henery, if your reading this, do you think your experience was the norm? From what I've read, the people who run into trouble abusing their meds, is less than 5%. I think unfortunatly you fell into that catagory.

I'm also a 5 percenter. I'm in the 5% of the PF sufferer's who cannot be cured (so far).

I just wanted people to realize that I believe Henery is in the minority when it comes to people running into problems while taking narcotics for pain control.

BCG

John, I knew someone with severe back pain that took Ultram. It worked for a couple years, but he finally had to change to something stronger. What we really need here, is a non-narcotic pain relieer that WILL WORK !!!! Is that asking too much?

linda A on 8/31/01 at 16:32 (058624)

have only heard from a few sufferers regarding nonnarcotic meds ( elavil , neurontin ) , so what are the rest of the pain sufferers doing to relieve their pain . i feel like cutting off my feet . the appt i had w/ the pain clinic did not go very well . i ended up leaving before i saw the doc , because of his inconsiderate staff . what really made me mad was this sign posted saying if the pt was more than 10 min late , you might as well reschedule your appt because they would not see you and any cancell visits would be $ 50 . well the pain doc was over 1hr late . should he reimburse me for my time ( i arrived 15 min before the schedule appt )? so , now i have to wait another month to see a different pain doc from another clinic .

john h on 8/31/01 at 20:01 (058652)

i agree that most meds after a while you will build up a tolerance . when i was using ultram i would some times skip several days and take at a much less dose than recommended to try to avoid this loss of tolerance. it interesting to note that studies indicate that people taking medications for real pain have a much reduced incidence of addiction to narcottics. they have not determined why this is so but it has been shown in medical studies. any narcotics i have taken after surgery sure did not provide me with any uplifting feeling. as a matter of fact i hated the spaced out feeling. i could never be a drug addict because if the drugs i took are any indication of what a high feels like it sucks.

wendyn on 8/31/01 at 23:12 (058670)

Linda - I have heard of people sending their doctors a bill for their time spent wasted in the waiting room. I'm sure that it doesn't get paid - but it does make a point.

I think most doctors do try their best though. I remember one time having an appointment with my doctor. I called ahead and they agreed to also squeeze an appointment in for my youngest who needed stiches removed. Then, I showed up with my 12 year old who was having sudden pain. They ended up cramming all 3 of us into one appointment slot. When I left 45 minutes later the waiting room was PACKED - but my doctor was sending me straight to the Children's hospital because me 12 year old needed emergency surgey (picked him up from school at 2:00 they operated before 5:00). In the end - even though those people waiting were inconvienced - I didn't have a choice and neither did the doctor.

This isn't to belittle your frustration - I really can relate to the incosideration some doctors have for our time.

When my pain was bad I mostly used ice and elevation - the drugs really bother me. Acupuncture eventually provided me a lot of relief - if you haven't tried it yet - you may want to give it a go.

linda A on 9/01/01 at 17:09 (058726)

narcotics makes me sleepy , so i will not be able to take them while working . i was wanting to find a med to help ease the pain at work , while i am standing most of the 8 hrs . the situation w/ the staff began when i signed ' IN ' . i gave the secretary forms in which i had already filled out , which included the insurance , medical history , and etc. she didn't say anything . so , i sat down . then she calls my name for me to get back up and give her my insurance card . i went back to my seat until she calls my name again . this time she wants me to fill out more forms . when i handed them in , she did not say anything . she waited until i sat back down to call me once more to the front desk , so i could give her my co-payment . i said , is this everything or should i take my seat once more for you to call my name . i told her that my feet were in pain . she didn't like that and she told me so . when i was in the examining room is when i heard the doc was going to be another 30 min late , so i asked where the restroom was located . they said i would have to wait until a key was brought back , because they didn't have a public restroom . i said you don't understand i have interstitial cystitis ( bladder can not wait ). the secretary said i still had to wait for the key to be brought back ( restroom was outside of the clinic down a long hallway ) . i can not believe that there was not one restroom in that clinic . that is when i got aggitated and ask for my co-payment back and left the clinic w/o seeing the pain doc . i don't mind waiting to see any doc , because i know all about emergencies ( work in hospital ) .

wendyn on 9/01/01 at 17:26 (058728)

Linda - although I can understand how some people may not realize how frustrating it can be having to sit down, get up, sit down in pain. I would expect a receptionist in a pain clinic to know better. I remember all too well what it was like to think that if I had to spend just one more second on my feet I would scream. I hope your next experience is better!

Laurie R on 9/01/01 at 21:17 (058747)

Hi Linda , Frist of all I am so sorry that you were treated that way . To me there is no reason for it at all. YOu would think that she would of had some type of compassion towards people in pain by working in a pain clinic. I would of done the same thing as you did .I would of been out the door. I have done this before at a clinic I had to go to when I first hurt my foot. I called my WC insurance company and asked if I could go somewhere else for treatment . They did find me a better clinic . They made me wait about 2 hours ,by the time I got in the room I was like I am in pain and I am not waiting anymore. That was the first time I had ever walked out of a doctor's office and it felt so good.

I am to start at a pain management center in a few weeks .I sure hope they help me . I have had foot problems now for over two years.

Is their another PM center near you ,you can go to ?? Keep us updated ....

My very best to you ,Laurie R

linda A on 9/02/01 at 11:44 (058787)

yes , i schedule another appt w/ a diff pain clinic , however it will not be until october . thank for all your support . i am glad that i have found this web site . my friends do not understand the pain that i am going thru . since , i hardly complain at work about my feet my co-workers thought everything was going great . hate to be a known as a ' cry baby ' . but , they could not notice how i was walking to compensate for the pain . until some of them started to have heel pain they truely did not understand what one has to endure . i would hate to wish this disease on anyone , but if mgmt or human resource personnel had to go thru this pain they would treat people a little more differently . i can remember applying for short term disability , when the lady on the phone said , i would not need to be off for 2 months ( both feet needed to be operated on one month apart ) . take care my new foot friends .

ellen w on 9/04/01 at 15:01 (059015)

Linda,
I'm on Mobic, an osteoarthritis drug, and am finding it helpful. No side effects except for a slight tinny taste about an hour after taking it. It's like vioxx in that it's one pill you take once a day, but has a different mechanism of action -- so it's possible that if Vioxx didn't work for you, this drug might. This is for PF on my right leg, plus some ongoing stiffness in both legs. Last year/earlier this year, I had a problem in my other leg with retrocalcaneal bursitis, and found some relief with an herbal supplement, MSM, plus going cold turkey on drinking carbonated beverages. Naprosyn and other similar NSAIDS hadn't helped at all. This have helped with pain associated with inflammation and stiffness -- if your pain is originating from another source, do not know if they will help.

Re: what are the primary causes of PF

john h on 8/19/04 at 09:32 (158396)

PF can be caused by injury from a traumatic event, over use such as running or aerobics steps to much, age related, poorly fitting shoes, weight. other unknown causes or a combination of the above. My unscientific explanation of a heel spur is where an injury occurs where the fascia attaches to the heel bone the body begins to lay on calcium to protect the injury. It is not some pointed piece of bone that is going to pierce the skin as its name might imply. It is merely a symptom of PF and most medical experts say is not a source of pain. Many people have heel spurs and no pain. Many people with pain have no heelspurs. I think all you want to know about PF is located on this website. Go to the homepage and start by reading Scott's book. You will find pictures of heel spurs and all you ever wanted to know and then some. good look The heel spurs I have seen looked like a glob of soft tissue. I watched Dr. Z remove one some years ago.