Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tried About Everything!

Posted by HenryC on 8/30/01 at 12:03 (058467)

Yes, I can honestly say that I have been throught just about everything with TTS and I am still waiting. It all started in Oct. of 1996. I fell two feet and broke my ankle. After six weeks in a cast and physical therapy, I thought I was back on the road to living a normal life. Boy was I in a surprise. When I tried to run, I knew there was something still wrong with my ankle. After an MRI and a catscan, it was determined that I had a hole the size of a quarter in the bottom of my Tibia. Surgery was scheduled and performed in July 1997. I was not alowed to bear weight on my foot for three months. When I actually started putting weight on my foot, it became apparent to me that there was a new problem. Every so often, I had a shooting pain up the back of my leg and it seemed sore right behind the ankle all the time. I was treated with the normal methods, meds, cast and walking boot. Nothing worked to alleviate this pain. My local doctors told me that they didn't know what was wrong and sent me on my way.

That's when I became determined to find out what was wrong and get it fixed. I did research over the internet and was lucky enough to find Dr. Mark Myerson and Greater Cheapeake Orthopedics in Baltimore MD.. One look at me and Dr. Myerson said I had TTS. I was prescribed some more exercises and several tests. I had nerve release in November of 1998 and after about six months the problem came back. I tried everything from acupuncture, magnets to ice water soaks but nothing helped. Dr Myerson then referred me to Dr. Schon, my current doctor.

In March 2000, Dr Schon performed a nerve release with a vein wrap. I was told it could take up to 30 months to fill the effect from the operation. Since that I time I have taken about every type of medication on the market (elavil, neurontin to oxycontin) , all the med did for me was make me crazy. I was spiraling down hill until April 1st of this year, when I checked myself into a rehab program.

I have been off all meds since that time and am still awaiting the results for the last surgery 18 months ago. TTS is terrible to deal with for anybody. You get depressed when you cann't do the normal things you used to do. All I can say to everyone is don't give up. Some day there will be a medical advancement that will help us. Unfortunatly in the mean time we must all learn to deal with our pain and wait.

I see a reflexologist twice a week and that really seems to help me deal with my pain. I suggest that all of you continue trying new things to relieve your pain. Believe me, I know it's not easy.

If anyone out there is looking for a great doctor I suggest you see Dr. Schon in Baltimore. His toll free phone number is
800-571-9820. He really seems to care about his patients and will spent time with you. Without him I don't believe I would here writing this message.

There is one last course of action to take for those like me who tried everything. It's called a Peripheral Nerve Stimulator and it is a small device that is implanted under the skin in your thigh. A small lead is run down your leg and is tied to your nerve. A small remote control is used to adjust the strength of the signal that is applied to the nerve. It is the LAST resort known today out problem. I have considered one but first want to wait the 30 months required by my last operation.

Sorry this was so long, it's just when you start typing on this topic it seems you cann't stop. I recommend sharing your own individual stories with as many people as you all can. Many people are not even aware what TTS is. I know that I wasn't until it struck me.

Good luck to everyone.

Re: sounds like it

elliott on 8/30/01 at 15:36 (058497)

I am real sorry for your pain and suffering. Ex-runner here too, so I especially can sympathize losing that. On the bright side, it's only one foot though, right? :-)

Are you saying you've had three surgeries (first guy, then Myerson, then Schon)? Did any of them try to correct the bone problem? What exactly is your pain now? Is it periodic or constant? Did you get no relief whatsoever from the vein wrap? It might take 30 months to complete, but my guess is 18 months is long enough to see what direction it's heading. I know this is minor, but does that scar running up your leg ever fade?

Concerning PNS, did you see Schon's paper (Chronic Pain) discussing it? While it helps some, the results sound kind of scary: Average patient improved from a 9 to a 6 on pain and 8 to 5 on dysfunction. Better than nothing to be sure and maybe makes it almost tolerable, but not exactly a cure. Wish you well.

Henry C on 8/31/01 at 07:56 (058566)

Elliott,

Thanks for the input. The bone was repaired in the first surgery. That is when the nerve was injured.

Since Dr. Schon's surgery, my foot has gotten better. I no longer have the shooting pain up the back of my leg. Normally the bottom of my is sore. It seems to act like a switch, when the bottom of my foot doesn't hurt, it is real sore right behind the ankle and when the bottom hurts the spot behind the ankle is ok. I see a reflexologists once a week and am about to start accupucture again. My foot has changed a lot since the last time I had accupuncture and I'm hoping that this time it my help.

As for Schon's paper, yes I have seen it, I know the surgery sounds a little scary and that is exactly why I have decided to wait a while before having it done. I am looking for people who have already had it done. Schon's office put me in contact with one of his patients that have had it done. He seemed satisfied with it, but his injury was a lot worse then mine. His foot was completely crushed so he was in very bad shape.

I am waiting for more results from the last surgery and hoping that some one finds a better cure for this.

Thanks,

Henry

elliott on 8/31/01 at 10:55 (058577)

So it was the first surgery that gave it to you. Is that what you're saying? You're not in constant agonizing nerve pain (tingling, shooting, etc.), are you? I think the elcetronic devices are really meant more for them. Is it just pain pain or clearly nerve pain? How bad on that 10-scale is the pain when you get it? How is walking?

elliott on 8/30/01 at 15:36 (058497)

I am real sorry for your pain and suffering. Ex-runner here too, so I especially can sympathize losing that. On the bright side, it's only one foot though, right? :-)

Are you saying you've had three surgeries (first guy, then Myerson, then Schon)? Did any of them try to correct the bone problem? What exactly is your pain now? Is it periodic or constant? Did you get no relief whatsoever from the vein wrap? It might take 30 months to complete, but my guess is 18 months is long enough to see what direction it's heading. I know this is minor, but does that scar running up your leg ever fade?

Concerning PNS, did you see Schon's paper (Chronic Pain) discussing it? While it helps some, the results sound kind of scary: Average patient improved from a 9 to a 6 on pain and 8 to 5 on dysfunction. Better than nothing to be sure and maybe makes it almost tolerable, but not exactly a cure. Wish you well.

Henry C on 8/31/01 at 07:56 (058566)

Elliott,

Thanks for the input. The bone was repaired in the first surgery. That is when the nerve was injured.

Since Dr. Schon's surgery, my foot has gotten better. I no longer have the shooting pain up the back of my leg. Normally the bottom of my is sore. It seems to act like a switch, when the bottom of my foot doesn't hurt, it is real sore right behind the ankle and when the bottom hurts the spot behind the ankle is ok. I see a reflexologists once a week and am about to start accupucture again. My foot has changed a lot since the last time I had accupuncture and I'm hoping that this time it my help.

As for Schon's paper, yes I have seen it, I know the surgery sounds a little scary and that is exactly why I have decided to wait a while before having it done. I am looking for people who have already had it done. Schon's office put me in contact with one of his patients that have had it done. He seemed satisfied with it, but his injury was a lot worse then mine. His foot was completely crushed so he was in very bad shape.

I am waiting for more results from the last surgery and hoping that some one finds a better cure for this.

Thanks,

Henry

elliott on 8/31/01 at 10:55 (058577)

So it was the first surgery that gave it to you. Is that what you're saying? You're not in constant agonizing nerve pain (tingling, shooting, etc.), are you? I think the elcetronic devices are really meant more for them. Is it just pain pain or clearly nerve pain? How bad on that 10-scale is the pain when you get it? How is walking?