Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Massage Therapy anyone?

Posted by CatherineL on 8/30/01 at 12:09 (058469)

My phisiotherapist has done some massage on my lower legs and feet. Since the PF is due to overly tight calve muscles, she has recommened I try some massage therapy in addition to the orthotics, shoes, night splint, vioxx and stretches.

Anyone have any experience with this, did it help with the pain?

Catherine

Re: Massage Therapy anyone?

Carmen H on 8/30/01 at 12:19 (058474)

I am starting PT on Monday and will be getting massage therapy as well. I have been to an Ortho and a physiologist for piriformus syndrome which is related to the hamstrings,cavles etc. I have mentioned to the doc that I truly believe when my hamstrings are tight, calves are tight feet hurt worse. She agrees....so I will be doing PT on hamstrings, regaining flexiblity and strength and working on Plantar Fascia as well. I think this will be beneficial and eventually help with the pain.

Henry C on 8/30/01 at 13:03 (058482)

I have been seeing a reflexologists (foot massage) for almost a year now for Tarsal Tunnel. Thus far I have not noticed any long lasting results from this other then the immediate comfort I get. It gives me a good two hours a week when my feet feel good and I don't think about the pain. I would strongly suggest that you look for someone like this in your area.

Also try as many things as you can to find relief. Who knows what will work for you. We're all very different and to say something does not work for one person and not another is crazy.

I have tried accupucture, massage therapy, a night splint, an orthodic and about every med on the market. Keep looking for your own personal comfort and don't give up.

Beverly on 8/30/01 at 16:39 (058506)

My massage therapist is more important to me than just about anyone else I can think of. This is a field where quality varies widely. My massage therapist is trained in quite a few different advanced modalities. If all someone knows is Swedish and perhaps Sports massage then for me, it is relaxing but not especially helpful. I've found the best massage therapists usually get many of their clients through doctor referrals. (D.O.'s seem to do this more than M.D.'s.)

When I miss a week, I feel the difference. Massage has not cured me, but certainly has given me some relief.

This is an area where checking out someone's references/credentials is very important. You don't want just anyone working on your body. When I'm trying a new massage therapist, I always tell him/her to go easy at first... that it takes me time to build up trust.

I personally do not like reflexology... found it painful, but that is just my opinion.
Good Luck,
Beverly

paula on 8/30/01 at 21:06 (058527)

my pt says i have myofascial syndrome among other things and treats me for that as well showed me how to do some on myself. it helps. also showed me how to massage the knots out of my leg muscles. i massage my legs and feet a lot and rope my partner into it too.

Re: Carmen re sciatica

Julie on 8/31/01 at 02:36 (058554)

Carmen, don't you think that the whole complex - tight hamstrings-tight calves- tight achilles- PF...isrelated to your sciatica/piriformis? Impingement of the sciatic nerve leads to problems all the way down that lower extremity line. Your PT may not be qualified or able to treat this aspect, but you should be sure s/he knows about it.

Carmen H on 8/30/01 at 12:19 (058474)

I am starting PT on Monday and will be getting massage therapy as well. I have been to an Ortho and a physiologist for piriformus syndrome which is related to the hamstrings,cavles etc. I have mentioned to the doc that I truly believe when my hamstrings are tight, calves are tight feet hurt worse. She agrees....so I will be doing PT on hamstrings, regaining flexiblity and strength and working on Plantar Fascia as well. I think this will be beneficial and eventually help with the pain.

Henry C on 8/30/01 at 13:03 (058482)

I have been seeing a reflexologists (foot massage) for almost a year now for Tarsal Tunnel. Thus far I have not noticed any long lasting results from this other then the immediate comfort I get. It gives me a good two hours a week when my feet feel good and I don't think about the pain. I would strongly suggest that you look for someone like this in your area.

Also try as many things as you can to find relief. Who knows what will work for you. We're all very different and to say something does not work for one person and not another is crazy.

I have tried accupucture, massage therapy, a night splint, an orthodic and about every med on the market. Keep looking for your own personal comfort and don't give up.

Beverly on 8/30/01 at 16:39 (058506)

My massage therapist is more important to me than just about anyone else I can think of. This is a field where quality varies widely. My massage therapist is trained in quite a few different advanced modalities. If all someone knows is Swedish and perhaps Sports massage then for me, it is relaxing but not especially helpful. I've found the best massage therapists usually get many of their clients through doctor referrals. (D.O.'s seem to do this more than M.D.'s.)

When I miss a week, I feel the difference. Massage has not cured me, but certainly has given me some relief.

This is an area where checking out someone's references/credentials is very important. You don't want just anyone working on your body. When I'm trying a new massage therapist, I always tell him/her to go easy at first... that it takes me time to build up trust.

I personally do not like reflexology... found it painful, but that is just my opinion.
Good Luck,
Beverly

paula on 8/30/01 at 21:06 (058527)

my pt says i have myofascial syndrome among other things and treats me for that as well showed me how to do some on myself. it helps. also showed me how to massage the knots out of my leg muscles. i massage my legs and feet a lot and rope my partner into it too.

Re: Carmen re sciatica

Julie on 8/31/01 at 02:36 (058554)

Carmen, don't you think that the whole complex - tight hamstrings-tight calves- tight achilles- PF...isrelated to your sciatica/piriformis? Impingement of the sciatic nerve leads to problems all the way down that lower extremity line. Your PT may not be qualified or able to treat this aspect, but you should be sure s/he knows about it.