Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can someone give me your thoughts on NAOT & Mephisto

Posted by Kimberly on 8/30/01 at 19:10 (058516)

I am having a dilemma over which sandals would be best for me.I had planned on buying a new pair of Birks but I tried on a pair of NAOT's today and they actually felt wonderful,which I know doesn't mean that much since I only had them on for about 5 minutes.I've shelled out big bucks for shoes this week and I just want to be sure I can wear whatever I buy.Thanks!

Re: Can someone give me your thoughts on NAOT & Mephisto

Carmel M on 8/30/01 at 21:59 (058536)

Hi Kimberly,
I have a pair of Birks and had been wearing them occassionaly, then I tried the Naot and I love it! It has a higher heel than the Birk and a soft footbed and it is very comfortable for me. I still like the Birks but honestly I prefer the Naot. I haven't tried the Mephistos, but the store where I got the Naot carries them too. I plan to go back this fall to find a shoe for winter.

I hope this helps.
Carmel

Kimberly on 8/30/01 at 23:02 (058539)

Thanks Carmel! That definetly does help.I'm having to start from scratch on my shoe collection as I'm sure you have too.I've never paid this close attention to my shoe shopping until now, I always just bought whatever I liked( maybe that has conributed to the problems I have now).Thanks for the feedback!
Kimberly

Julie on 8/31/01 at 03:17 (058558)

Kimblerley, whatever sandals you buy,whether Birks or NAOTs, they are going to need gradual breaking in. You can't tell, as you said, from 5 minutes in the shop, or even half an hour. You also can't judge from anyone else's experience. Most good shoe stores will let you take shoes home and wear them around the house for awhile, and will take them back if they prove unsuitable.This is what I would do: buy both, give them a good try indoors, keep the better of the two, and return the other.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 10:43 (058574)

Kimberly, although TexBev is sort of our unofficial shoe expert here I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth......
You've chosen two very reputable, quality brands and should be equally satisfied with either so it really depends on which seems the most comfy to you. I've not tried Naots but I do have a pair of Mephisto sandals that I've worn all summer and I like them quite a bit. You might want to remember this one thing.....some brands may take just a bit of 'breaking in' time so don't be surprised if your feet seem sore after wearing them. If so, you might want to try just wearing them for a half hour at a time then gradually increasing the time.

Pat S on 8/31/01 at 10:59 (058579)

I have been an advocate of Naots since I stepped in my first pair in June. They have helped my healing tremendously. They do have different styles:
some have removeable footbeds and are better suited to a high arch. I
believe they are the Scandinavian styles. Some have wedge-type heels
and are wonderful for flat feeted people such as myself, yet they are made with cork and latex that mold to your feet. Additionally the wedgies
throw your weight forward slightly and take the pressure off the heel.

There is a web site, and I need to look it up, where they have close-outs
on Naots (and lots of other high end speciality shoes). I recently
ordered a pair for $39.00, and love them. Let me know if you are
interested, and I will post it.

Pat

Beverly on 8/31/01 at 15:57 (058618)

I'm not a shoe expert... just another patient obsessed with the quest to find comfortable shoes. (And in my pre-PF days, I was a 'shoe aholic'... stacks of beautiful shoes. I find that even with ugly walking shoes, there is my shoe shopping addiction to feed!)

One thing I've learned about PF (along with ankle problems) is that the shoe I deemed 'wonderful, marvelous, the answer' at a certain point in my foot saga became 'worthless or mediocre' later. Lots of wasted money. So, what I do these days is go back and try the shoe on several times over a series of days. Yes, you will drive the shoe clerk to distraction, but it's your money and your feet. And I try on every shoe in the line. Different styles have different fits.

Naot didn't agree with me well enough to take out of the store, but we are all different. Before I switched to orthodics, I rated my Mephesto sandals as high on the 'good' list. My feet are too big to really work with Mephesto's lace up shoes and orthodics; so I've never had a chance to try that and when I went to orthodics, I switched over to running shoes and extra depth shoes like Ambulator. One thing I've observed here on the board is that there are those of us who like a 'hard' feel and those who like a 'soft' feel. I thinks when it comes to shoes, you just have to try them on.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Kimberly on 8/31/01 at 16:04 (058619)

Hi Pat, yes I would be interested in the site if you don't mind.
I purchased two pair of NAOT's today and I feel pretty confident in my choices but for future reference it would definetly be nice to get them at a discounted price.Thanks for the info!

Kimberly on 8/31/01 at 16:06 (058620)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, you guys are so helpful.
Kimberly

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 17:49 (058630)

Another thought... amny of the 'cute' styles in so many specialty shoes cut off at European size 42 (10?) leaving me out in the cold! I have always wanted a pair of Birk Mary Janes.

Dansko seems to be another shoe that works for me - the clog with the back panel for stability. It is relatively feminine looking, but has a two inch heel. Wouldn't someone think that a person who wears such a big shoe would be tall, and maybe not want heels? If anyone knows of a website for Danskos, I would love to look at it. B.

Re: Site to Find Naot

Pat S. on 8/31/01 at 22:25 (058667)

The site I use is: stp@sierratradingpost.com . Click on 'vendor' and
put in Naot. These are close out bargains. They are so cheap that
it might be worth trying a pair, instead of the $100.00 a pop for
retail.
Let me know if I can help further.
Pat.

Suzanne D on 9/07/01 at 18:41 (059420)

Barbara, I have been reading a lot on these message boards in the 4 weeks since I found this site, and I have asked some shoe questions and been so pleased with the responses.

In some of my reading, I found this site mentioned: http://www.danskos.com

And I can certainly agree with you on the situation we find ourselves in with long feet! So many shoes stop at a women's 10 or equivalent, and I wear an 11. And, yes, I am tall, too, and have always tried to find 'flat' shoes. Combine that with PF and toenail problems (need anti-fungus drug and insurance won't pay, so I have to put up with it!) and it becomes such a challenge! I've always worn sandals a lot, but first graders step on your toes quite frequently, so that has its drawbacks! :-)

Hope the Danskos site is what you wanted.

Re: naot

sandy s. on 9/09/01 at 23:01 (059679)

I've never found a more comfortable shoe ever. The Alznner dress orthotic works well with this shoe, for me. Happy Day!

Carmel M on 8/30/01 at 21:59 (058536)

Hi Kimberly,
I have a pair of Birks and had been wearing them occassionaly, then I tried the Naot and I love it! It has a higher heel than the Birk and a soft footbed and it is very comfortable for me. I still like the Birks but honestly I prefer the Naot. I haven't tried the Mephistos, but the store where I got the Naot carries them too. I plan to go back this fall to find a shoe for winter.

I hope this helps.
Carmel

Kimberly on 8/30/01 at 23:02 (058539)

Thanks Carmel! That definetly does help.I'm having to start from scratch on my shoe collection as I'm sure you have too.I've never paid this close attention to my shoe shopping until now, I always just bought whatever I liked( maybe that has conributed to the problems I have now).Thanks for the feedback!
Kimberly

Julie on 8/31/01 at 03:17 (058558)

Kimblerley, whatever sandals you buy,whether Birks or NAOTs, they are going to need gradual breaking in. You can't tell, as you said, from 5 minutes in the shop, or even half an hour. You also can't judge from anyone else's experience. Most good shoe stores will let you take shoes home and wear them around the house for awhile, and will take them back if they prove unsuitable.This is what I would do: buy both, give them a good try indoors, keep the better of the two, and return the other.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 10:43 (058574)

Kimberly, although TexBev is sort of our unofficial shoe expert here I thought I'd throw in my two cents worth......
You've chosen two very reputable, quality brands and should be equally satisfied with either so it really depends on which seems the most comfy to you. I've not tried Naots but I do have a pair of Mephisto sandals that I've worn all summer and I like them quite a bit. You might want to remember this one thing.....some brands may take just a bit of 'breaking in' time so don't be surprised if your feet seem sore after wearing them. If so, you might want to try just wearing them for a half hour at a time then gradually increasing the time.

Pat S on 8/31/01 at 10:59 (058579)

I have been an advocate of Naots since I stepped in my first pair in June. They have helped my healing tremendously. They do have different styles:
some have removeable footbeds and are better suited to a high arch. I
believe they are the Scandinavian styles. Some have wedge-type heels
and are wonderful for flat feeted people such as myself, yet they are made with cork and latex that mold to your feet. Additionally the wedgies
throw your weight forward slightly and take the pressure off the heel.

There is a web site, and I need to look it up, where they have close-outs
on Naots (and lots of other high end speciality shoes). I recently
ordered a pair for $39.00, and love them. Let me know if you are
interested, and I will post it.

Pat

Beverly on 8/31/01 at 15:57 (058618)

I'm not a shoe expert... just another patient obsessed with the quest to find comfortable shoes. (And in my pre-PF days, I was a 'shoe aholic'... stacks of beautiful shoes. I find that even with ugly walking shoes, there is my shoe shopping addiction to feed!)

One thing I've learned about PF (along with ankle problems) is that the shoe I deemed 'wonderful, marvelous, the answer' at a certain point in my foot saga became 'worthless or mediocre' later. Lots of wasted money. So, what I do these days is go back and try the shoe on several times over a series of days. Yes, you will drive the shoe clerk to distraction, but it's your money and your feet. And I try on every shoe in the line. Different styles have different fits.

Naot didn't agree with me well enough to take out of the store, but we are all different. Before I switched to orthodics, I rated my Mephesto sandals as high on the 'good' list. My feet are too big to really work with Mephesto's lace up shoes and orthodics; so I've never had a chance to try that and when I went to orthodics, I switched over to running shoes and extra depth shoes like Ambulator. One thing I've observed here on the board is that there are those of us who like a 'hard' feel and those who like a 'soft' feel. I thinks when it comes to shoes, you just have to try them on.
Best wishes,
Beverly

Kimberly on 8/31/01 at 16:04 (058619)

Hi Pat, yes I would be interested in the site if you don't mind.
I purchased two pair of NAOT's today and I feel pretty confident in my choices but for future reference it would definetly be nice to get them at a discounted price.Thanks for the info!

Kimberly on 8/31/01 at 16:06 (058620)

Thanks for the feedback everyone, you guys are so helpful.
Kimberly

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 17:49 (058630)

Another thought... amny of the 'cute' styles in so many specialty shoes cut off at European size 42 (10?) leaving me out in the cold! I have always wanted a pair of Birk Mary Janes.

Dansko seems to be another shoe that works for me - the clog with the back panel for stability. It is relatively feminine looking, but has a two inch heel. Wouldn't someone think that a person who wears such a big shoe would be tall, and maybe not want heels? If anyone knows of a website for Danskos, I would love to look at it. B.

Re: Site to Find Naot

Pat S. on 8/31/01 at 22:25 (058667)

The site I use is: stp@sierratradingpost.com . Click on 'vendor' and
put in Naot. These are close out bargains. They are so cheap that
it might be worth trying a pair, instead of the $100.00 a pop for
retail.
Let me know if I can help further.
Pat.

Suzanne D on 9/07/01 at 18:41 (059420)

Barbara, I have been reading a lot on these message boards in the 4 weeks since I found this site, and I have asked some shoe questions and been so pleased with the responses.

In some of my reading, I found this site mentioned: http://www.danskos.com

And I can certainly agree with you on the situation we find ourselves in with long feet! So many shoes stop at a women's 10 or equivalent, and I wear an 11. And, yes, I am tall, too, and have always tried to find 'flat' shoes. Combine that with PF and toenail problems (need anti-fungus drug and insurance won't pay, so I have to put up with it!) and it becomes such a challenge! I've always worn sandals a lot, but first graders step on your toes quite frequently, so that has its drawbacks! :-)

Hope the Danskos site is what you wanted.

Re: naot

sandy s. on 9/09/01 at 23:01 (059679)

I've never found a more comfortable shoe ever. The Alznner dress orthotic works well with this shoe, for me. Happy Day!