Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Input wanted: Thai Medicine Trial-- a good idea? U.S. Import possible?

Posted by alank on 8/31/01 at 01:15 (058546)

Dear all,

I am still here in Thailand on my researches, and unfortunately have come down with another painful problem-- Cervical Spondylosis resulting in pain in the shoulder, radiating arm and hand pins, needles, and numbness, and loss of sensation distally. This is due to an old neck injury come back to a new life.

Anyway, this has sent me back to the same Thai doctor who made herbal medicine to relax the tendons, eventually leading to a %90 pf cure (I previously said 95, but maybe 90 is more like it) with progressive exercises and massage.

For free, I could send this medicine to people on the board if they were interested in trying. This ancient treament slowly releases the tendons, relaxes muscles, promotes blood flow, and balances immune disfunction. Going back to the doctors waiting room it is truly amazing to meet all the people being treated for all kinds of musculo-skeletal disorders, injuries, and nuerological problems, and see how much better they are. I was especially shocked to see a virtually paralyzed man from the beginning of the year (he got stepped on by an elephant) walking again (he wasn't chrostopher reeves paralyzed, but nearly so). Given my own experience, I thought people here should really try it. I have noticed that some people get nearly instant benefits, but the best benefits come from a long-term gentle transformation of the body: a month or more. I was only able to admit the process was happening after three months, although I think I did notice it much earlier (I am stubborn and resentful toward medical practitioners).

I don't mind paying for the remedies to be made, since it goes straight to this traditional doctor and he deserves it. I am not happy about postage, but I also understand that there are so many treatments out there that there is no reason for me to expect anyone here to shell out for something unknown ( I don't even know the english name of the ingredients-- all plants and flowers). But I just want to say this really works and it seems to work for everyone. I was wondering two things: if people in general were interested in trying and whether anyone knew what the customs department requires here. I can't go through some complicated process, but if I just mailed people stuff made of plant matter, would there be any problem? Does anyone know anything about importing? Would the herbs get delivered?

If this is feasable, I have no question that at least a few people would like to try, and I would be happy to pay for a three month treatment, no strings or gimmicks.

I am a former product seller here, and will be again probably, so there may be some commercial interest down the line, but for right now it is strictly free. If it is possible to get this into the country (nothing illegal or prescription) this is something not to be missed--not a zam-bang miracle, but the subtle effects of pliant and elastic tendon and muscle condition slowly do a kind of magic. I think this remedy works best as an adjunct to other treatments by making the body more pliant and receptive to those treaments. For instance, tendon release would increase the long-terms benefits of stretching, manipulation, massage, splints, perhaps ESWT and surgery, etc. Blood-flow and relaxed muscles are also essential to proper healing generally.

Let me know if you think this is an interesting idea, and if you have any knowledge whatsoever about the possibilities of mailing this out to the u.s. I am not calling for a sign-up since that would clutter the message board, but just for opinions and advice. I won't go through the trouble of getting the scientific species of the ingredients until I know whether its possible to send it in the mail first. Anyone know anything about this?

Sorry if this is vague about the medicine, but there is no point in talking about all that if I can't send it to you in the first place. Please Advise! I can't make heads or tails of the online info about importing. Anyone out there no something?

thanks,

alank

Re: Input wanted: Thai Medicine Trial-- a good idea? U.S. Import possible?

BrianG on 8/31/01 at 15:04 (058606)

Hi Alan,

A doctor, Chris Reynolds, has been sended some people herbal balm samples from Austrailia. He doesn't need a lot of fancy paperwork, just a small form from customs, taped to the package, certifying that it does not contain any dangerous or prohibited goods. I would imagine you get the form at the local post office. If you want to write to him, this is his e-mail address. Hopefully he'll have the time to answer a couple questions for you.

href='http://www.jastmi@wire.net.ua' target='new'> www.jastmi@wire.net.ua" target="new">http://www.jastmi@wire.net.ua

Good luck
BCG

nancy s. on 8/31/01 at 15:14 (058607)

thank you for this, brian. i wanted to answer alan but didn't know how, and your idea is a good one.

Pauline on 8/31/01 at 15:23 (058609)

Hi, I don't know how others feel but speaking for my self I would feel uncomfortable taking this Thai Medicine. I'm unsure of the ingredients involved. People have different comfort levels with different treatments.

nancy s. on 8/31/01 at 15:38 (058613)

i don't feel uncomfortable. i've had more discomfort from traditional western meds. and techniques than from herbals -- most of which have helped me more than anything else. do people know exactly what's in vioxx or celebrex or countless other medicines prescribed and sold all over the place here? does everyone read the whole list of ingredients and research them to death before taking them? i don't think so.

Beverly on 8/31/01 at 15:41 (058614)

As tempting as this sounds, I'm not brave enough to try. I'd probably only take something like Alan is describing if I were to get it personally from a liscensed Chinese medicine doctor or perhaps a health food store I knew well. Sure would love to know what's in the stuff.
Alan, thank you for thinking of us.
Beverly

Julie on 8/31/01 at 15:56 (058617)

Nancy: many Western orthodox meds are extractions of traditional plant remedies, only they isolate and use only the so-called active ingredient instead of the entire plant, often in stronger concentrations than in the plant. This inherent imbalance may be one reason why so many meds have undesirable 'side' i.e. unwanted effects.

Herbal remedies can also have unwanted effects, usually if they are used inappropriately (in too large quantities, or the wrong remedy for a condition or an individual).

Alan: I have been receiving Dr Reynolds's Jade Balm in England - no problems here, either.

Re: Alan, sympathies

Julie on 8/31/01 at 16:07 (058621)

Alan, I meant to offer my commiserations on your cervical spondylosis. A nasty, painful affliction. I hope the Thai medicines will clear it up quickly.

Could you clear up a question in my mind? Is the same remedy offered to all the doctor's patients with this group of problems, i.e. does everyone get the same herbs, or is the prescription modified for the individual? And is it a cream, an ointment, a pill...or...? Asking out of interest. I'd ask for the medicine too, except that I don't need it (could use it on my husband's painful back, though!)

Pauline on 8/31/01 at 16:34 (058625)

My apprehension is because of possible interactions with perscription medication that I must take. Others may also have to be careful on what they mix.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 18:49 (058639)

Alan - at the risk of seeming like a truly silly, ignorant person- is the remedy you speak of topical or oral?

Lisa C. on 8/31/01 at 23:01 (058668)

I have to agree with Pauline. If it is applied topically I might try it. If it is something that needs to be taken orally/ingested I wouldn't try it. Especially not for slight help over a period of months. I do appreciate that good thoughts behind this offer! Its nice that a former pf sufferer is thinking about others and willing to go so far with an idea to help! Thanks!

Lisa C. on 8/31/01 at 23:32 (058672)

I am a bit squeemish about any possible contamination. I'd like to be reassured that it meets certain cleanliness standards and passes regular quality inspections. I know that I am just fooling myself having recently read the amount of insect heads and pieces allowed by law in peanut butter and other goodies. Must try to think of something else, think of something else.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 05:52 (058679)

I forgot to say an obvious thing like that-- it's oral, the specific thing I am thinking of, although there are two topical treatments that are helpful and one bath treatment. However, I kind of like what I am seeing about the Jade balm and will try it myself first. That is, I like the explanation of how it works, since I believe my initial conditions were due to an immune dysfunction sort of like rheumatism, where healthy tissue is attacked by immune cells. Although this is an unproven theory, it is one shared by many conventional doctors, including those running the orthowave trial. Of course, this theory does not mean the ingredients in Jade actually work to 'modulate the immune system,' but it is worth the try and that is all Dr. Reynolds is asking us to believe-- that it's worth a try. I could get topical and bath treatments to people if it is less intimidating. That would be easy enough, and also not to costly. But the long term effects of the oral treatment are really worth looking into. They are not slight effects, as I might have implied, but subtle and sometimes gradual effects, which is different than slight. The gradual release of tendon tension is a powerful healing effect. I understand of course any hesistancy about it.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 05:56 (058680)

very funny about the insect heads, and not really a joke. Actually this is grown in a pesticide free garden and cleaner than anything you can buy in a supermarket, as you probably suspect. However, I understand that since it is not a big drug company surpervised by the government, you don't really know the nuts and bolts of it-- which is exactly the case with almost any herbal product one buys in the health store.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:03 (058681)

Hi Nancy!

Yeah, I don't see any difference between this and the health food store even. In fact at least in this case you would actually know someone who has seen the stuff grown and made. I wish I was a botanist so I could get the scientific names easily. I could see about it if there was interest, otherwise I don't know if I would go through all the hassle.

Take care and if you want to e-mail me, i'm at my last name plus the rest you should be able to figure out (sorry, that was a secret message).

Re: no more shoulder stand for me

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:14 (058683)

Shoulder stand is so easy in a tropical climate, but obviously I can't do it now.

Just as I was getting over pf... But you know the funny thing is even though it is well known that this cervical problem is ultimately incurable, I am barely shaken by it because I have been through pf. Pf is a really, really bad thing (that is my unique insight to contribute to the board). I don't really feel like anything short of torture and imminent death can really hurt me now. I don't even really understand or remember why pf was so horrible, but it was a real crushing blow in my life. Having been tempered by it, I can still say I am greatful for it.

Re: right about prescription medicine

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:16 (058684)

Yes, this is a good point. People with prescription medication should not take herbal treatments if they don't know about possible interactions. Some people assume herbs are necessarily milder than chemical drugs, but that is not true at all. I understand that this is a frequent news item these days in america, which is good.

Re: different conditions

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:21 (058685)

what I am referring to here would be the same for everyone with plantar fasciitis. The traditional doctor does use other herbal mixtures for other conditions, but I only know about two of them, this one and one for bone fractures.

john h on 9/01/01 at 08:34 (058690)

there was an article in this weeks paper about specific herbal medicines and the conventional drugs they conflict with. One i recall was St John' Wart can reduce the effectivness of certain drugs. There are others under study by the FDA. There are many herbal medicines we no nothing about as to how they interact with convention medications.

Cindy KH on 9/02/01 at 12:01 (058790)

Hi,

I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm willing to try it. I had back surgery that failed to fuse in 98 however the PF I've had bilateraly for 2.5 years plus is worse. Jade Balm helps some even though it hasn't helped me as much as some people apparently.

I've had one ESWT treatment and will no doubt soon head back for another. I'd be interested in trying this stuff even prior to next treatment if possible.

I have a pretty good feeling about herbal things (not all) and some topical things. Edgar Cayce's often recommended castor oil packs on the abdomen do amazing things for the immune system. His info relates that oil of the castor bean is better topically than internally. Peanut and Olive oils by the spoonfuls are great to take internally.

Best,
Cindy in OK

BrianG on 8/31/01 at 15:04 (058606)

Hi Alan,

A doctor, Chris Reynolds, has been sended some people herbal balm samples from Austrailia. He doesn't need a lot of fancy paperwork, just a small form from customs, taped to the package, certifying that it does not contain any dangerous or prohibited goods. I would imagine you get the form at the local post office. If you want to write to him, this is his e-mail address. Hopefully he'll have the time to answer a couple questions for you.

href='http://www.jastmi@wire.net.ua' target='new'> www.jastmi@wire.net.ua" target="new">http://www.jastmi@wire.net.ua

Good luck
BCG

nancy s. on 8/31/01 at 15:14 (058607)

thank you for this, brian. i wanted to answer alan but didn't know how, and your idea is a good one.

Pauline on 8/31/01 at 15:23 (058609)

Hi, I don't know how others feel but speaking for my self I would feel uncomfortable taking this Thai Medicine. I'm unsure of the ingredients involved. People have different comfort levels with different treatments.

nancy s. on 8/31/01 at 15:38 (058613)

i don't feel uncomfortable. i've had more discomfort from traditional western meds. and techniques than from herbals -- most of which have helped me more than anything else. do people know exactly what's in vioxx or celebrex or countless other medicines prescribed and sold all over the place here? does everyone read the whole list of ingredients and research them to death before taking them? i don't think so.

Beverly on 8/31/01 at 15:41 (058614)

As tempting as this sounds, I'm not brave enough to try. I'd probably only take something like Alan is describing if I were to get it personally from a liscensed Chinese medicine doctor or perhaps a health food store I knew well. Sure would love to know what's in the stuff.
Alan, thank you for thinking of us.
Beverly

Julie on 8/31/01 at 15:56 (058617)

Nancy: many Western orthodox meds are extractions of traditional plant remedies, only they isolate and use only the so-called active ingredient instead of the entire plant, often in stronger concentrations than in the plant. This inherent imbalance may be one reason why so many meds have undesirable 'side' i.e. unwanted effects.

Herbal remedies can also have unwanted effects, usually if they are used inappropriately (in too large quantities, or the wrong remedy for a condition or an individual).

Alan: I have been receiving Dr Reynolds's Jade Balm in England - no problems here, either.

Re: Alan, sympathies

Julie on 8/31/01 at 16:07 (058621)

Alan, I meant to offer my commiserations on your cervical spondylosis. A nasty, painful affliction. I hope the Thai medicines will clear it up quickly.

Could you clear up a question in my mind? Is the same remedy offered to all the doctor's patients with this group of problems, i.e. does everyone get the same herbs, or is the prescription modified for the individual? And is it a cream, an ointment, a pill...or...? Asking out of interest. I'd ask for the medicine too, except that I don't need it (could use it on my husband's painful back, though!)

Pauline on 8/31/01 at 16:34 (058625)

My apprehension is because of possible interactions with perscription medication that I must take. Others may also have to be careful on what they mix.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 18:49 (058639)

Alan - at the risk of seeming like a truly silly, ignorant person- is the remedy you speak of topical or oral?

Lisa C. on 8/31/01 at 23:01 (058668)

I have to agree with Pauline. If it is applied topically I might try it. If it is something that needs to be taken orally/ingested I wouldn't try it. Especially not for slight help over a period of months. I do appreciate that good thoughts behind this offer! Its nice that a former pf sufferer is thinking about others and willing to go so far with an idea to help! Thanks!

Lisa C. on 8/31/01 at 23:32 (058672)

I am a bit squeemish about any possible contamination. I'd like to be reassured that it meets certain cleanliness standards and passes regular quality inspections. I know that I am just fooling myself having recently read the amount of insect heads and pieces allowed by law in peanut butter and other goodies. Must try to think of something else, think of something else.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 05:52 (058679)

I forgot to say an obvious thing like that-- it's oral, the specific thing I am thinking of, although there are two topical treatments that are helpful and one bath treatment. However, I kind of like what I am seeing about the Jade balm and will try it myself first. That is, I like the explanation of how it works, since I believe my initial conditions were due to an immune dysfunction sort of like rheumatism, where healthy tissue is attacked by immune cells. Although this is an unproven theory, it is one shared by many conventional doctors, including those running the orthowave trial. Of course, this theory does not mean the ingredients in Jade actually work to 'modulate the immune system,' but it is worth the try and that is all Dr. Reynolds is asking us to believe-- that it's worth a try. I could get topical and bath treatments to people if it is less intimidating. That would be easy enough, and also not to costly. But the long term effects of the oral treatment are really worth looking into. They are not slight effects, as I might have implied, but subtle and sometimes gradual effects, which is different than slight. The gradual release of tendon tension is a powerful healing effect. I understand of course any hesistancy about it.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 05:56 (058680)

very funny about the insect heads, and not really a joke. Actually this is grown in a pesticide free garden and cleaner than anything you can buy in a supermarket, as you probably suspect. However, I understand that since it is not a big drug company surpervised by the government, you don't really know the nuts and bolts of it-- which is exactly the case with almost any herbal product one buys in the health store.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:03 (058681)

Hi Nancy!

Yeah, I don't see any difference between this and the health food store even. In fact at least in this case you would actually know someone who has seen the stuff grown and made. I wish I was a botanist so I could get the scientific names easily. I could see about it if there was interest, otherwise I don't know if I would go through all the hassle.

Take care and if you want to e-mail me, i'm at my last name plus the rest you should be able to figure out (sorry, that was a secret message).

Re: no more shoulder stand for me

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:14 (058683)

Shoulder stand is so easy in a tropical climate, but obviously I can't do it now.

Just as I was getting over pf... But you know the funny thing is even though it is well known that this cervical problem is ultimately incurable, I am barely shaken by it because I have been through pf. Pf is a really, really bad thing (that is my unique insight to contribute to the board). I don't really feel like anything short of torture and imminent death can really hurt me now. I don't even really understand or remember why pf was so horrible, but it was a real crushing blow in my life. Having been tempered by it, I can still say I am greatful for it.

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:16 (058684)

Yes, this is a good point. People with prescription medication should not take herbal treatments if they don't know about possible interactions. Some people assume herbs are necessarily milder than chemical drugs, but that is not true at all. I understand that this is a frequent news item these days in america, which is good.

Re: different conditions

alan k on 9/01/01 at 06:21 (058685)

what I am referring to here would be the same for everyone with plantar fasciitis. The traditional doctor does use other herbal mixtures for other conditions, but I only know about two of them, this one and one for bone fractures.

john h on 9/01/01 at 08:34 (058690)

there was an article in this weeks paper about specific herbal medicines and the conventional drugs they conflict with. One i recall was St John' Wart can reduce the effectivness of certain drugs. There are others under study by the FDA. There are many herbal medicines we no nothing about as to how they interact with convention medications.

Cindy KH on 9/02/01 at 12:01 (058790)

Hi,

I've read all the posts in this thread and I'm willing to try it. I had back surgery that failed to fuse in 98 however the PF I've had bilateraly for 2.5 years plus is worse. Jade Balm helps some even though it hasn't helped me as much as some people apparently.

I've had one ESWT treatment and will no doubt soon head back for another. I'd be interested in trying this stuff even prior to next treatment if possible.

I have a pretty good feeling about herbal things (not all) and some topical things. Edgar Cayce's often recommended castor oil packs on the abdomen do amazing things for the immune system. His info relates that oil of the castor bean is better topically than internally. Peanut and Olive oils by the spoonfuls are great to take internally.

Best,
Cindy in OK