Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

time to change doctors?

Posted by Nancy W on 8/31/01 at 11:35 (058583)

Dear Doctors or anyone else who can advise me! I have had mild PF for 6 years, but in May it flared up badly in my left foot. Since May I have had 3 cortisone injections, 3 rounds of anti-inflamatories, worn spenco pads in ugly running shoes, been unna booted, night splinted, iced and stretched so much I must be an inch taller! I wear Birkenstocks around the house and recently got custom orthodics which both have helped a bit. Last week the doctor mentioned putting me a cast, but today he said to give it more time or have surgery. I am very frustrated because I am going to London Nov 29, which means a lot walking...and I don't want to limp and be in pain. So my questions are 1. Is it time to seek a second opinion? 2. Should I see another poditrist or an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in feet? 3. Is there any other course of action? 4. would a cast help? 5. Should I just stay with my present doctor and continue with night splints, ice, etc? Please advise! Iam very upset about this!

Re: time to change doctors?

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 14:56 (058602)

How long have you had the custom orthotics for? It sounds like you had gotten them fairly long into the treatment process--there may be some good reasons for that (sometimes not). What type of doctor are you seeing now?
A cast basically provides a 'rest' for the plantar fascia and can be a good idea--consider 2 weeks but not longer than 3 weeks in a cast.

Sounds like you have had a fairly comprehensive course of treatment provided that the biomechanics are adequately addressed. A podiatrist is somewhat more likely to address the biomechanics than an orhtopedic surgeon. ESWT may be an option--I think Dr Z has the best arrangement in that his machine is office based.
Ed

Nancy W on 9/01/01 at 10:29 (058702)

Thanks forthe post,Dr. Ed. I have had the orthodics for just a few weeks, and am currently seeing a poditrist. Do I seem to be a canadite for ESWT? My ankle now hurts. Is this from the orthodics?
Thanks!
NaNCY

Nancy W on 9/01/01 at 10:39 (058704)

Thanks forthe post,Dr. Ed. I have had the orthodics for just a few weeks, and am currently seeing a poditrist. Do I seem to be a canadite for ESWT? My ankle now hurts. Is this from the orthodics?
Thanks!
NaNCY

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 14:56 (058602)

How long have you had the custom orthotics for? It sounds like you had gotten them fairly long into the treatment process--there may be some good reasons for that (sometimes not). What type of doctor are you seeing now?
A cast basically provides a 'rest' for the plantar fascia and can be a good idea--consider 2 weeks but not longer than 3 weeks in a cast.

Sounds like you have had a fairly comprehensive course of treatment provided that the biomechanics are adequately addressed. A podiatrist is somewhat more likely to address the biomechanics than an orhtopedic surgeon. ESWT may be an option--I think Dr Z has the best arrangement in that his machine is office based.
Ed

Nancy W on 9/01/01 at 10:29 (058702)

Thanks!
NaNCY

Nancy W on 9/01/01 at 10:39 (058704)

Thanks!
NaNCY