Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

in the email bag

Posted by Scott R on 8/31/01 at 12:40 (058584)

very interesting study on the wedges and their effect on the loading of the plantar fascia (a.k.a. aponeurosis)

http://www.ejbjs.org/cgi/content/full/81/10/1403

x

Re: But what does it mean?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 14:58 (058603)

The study concludes: 'The data suggest that an orthotic wedge under the lateral aspect of the forefoot thus may be effective for the treatment of plantar fasciitis.'

What is the lateral aspect of the forefoot? Could someone put this into layman's terms for me? This is an amazing study... I cannot imagine being a research assistant and sawing feet off cadavers and weighting them down with old stacks of Podiatry Today. Oh, I'm sure that it was more scientific than that, but man, what a job. B.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 18:43 (058638)

Say TexBarb.......wasn't that Dr. HueyDooieLueywhatever's first job in the foot world?

JeanB on 9/06/01 at 14:16 (059244)

The lateral aspect of the foot is the 'outside'--where your little toe is as opposed to the medial aspect where your big toe is. As I read the article, they found a 6 degree wedge placed under the top half of the outside aspect of the foot reduced tension on the plantar fascia. It seems that this is why people over-pronate with plantar fasciitis. Or is is a case of which came first (chicken or egg?)---did the plantar fascia shorten and then people compensate by over-pronating, or do people get into the habit of over-pronating and the fascia subsequently shortens?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 14:58 (058603)

The study concludes: 'The data suggest that an orthotic wedge under the lateral aspect of the forefoot thus may be effective for the treatment of plantar fasciitis.'

What is the lateral aspect of the forefoot? Could someone put this into layman's terms for me? This is an amazing study... I cannot imagine being a research assistant and sawing feet off cadavers and weighting them down with old stacks of Podiatry Today. Oh, I'm sure that it was more scientific than that, but man, what a job. B.

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 18:43 (058638)

Say TexBarb.......wasn't that Dr. HueyDooieLueywhatever's first job in the foot world?

JeanB on 9/06/01 at 14:16 (059244)

The lateral aspect of the foot is the 'outside'--where your little toe is as opposed to the medial aspect where your big toe is. As I read the article, they found a 6 degree wedge placed under the top half of the outside aspect of the foot reduced tension on the plantar fascia. It seems that this is why people over-pronate with plantar fasciitis. Or is is a case of which came first (chicken or egg?)---did the plantar fascia shorten and then people compensate by over-pronating, or do people get into the habit of over-pronating and the fascia subsequently shortens?