Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Well, I am having the surgery in two weeks, any words of wisdom?

Posted by Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 13:14 (058589)

Hello again everyone. I have not been on here lately as my computer wants to get temperamental.
I am having the surgery two weeks from today. I know there are those that are for and those against the surgery,but in the end I had to decide and I am tired of the constant pain. I have tried everything and gone through all the treatments with no relief.
My doctor is not giving me a lot of false hope. I think in the end, the doctors really are not sure either if the surgery will he a success. It seems all treatments for this problem are hit and miss. Some work, some don't. No 100 % for everyone.
I have done a lot of praying and feel this is it for me. I have been down a long road. When you get to the point you just sit and cry so much of the time and feel crazy with the pain..I have small children I cannot do anything with anymore.
If anyone has some positive words or stories about the surgery, I would be more than glad to hear it right now. I hate surgery..but welcome this if it will help. Whereas some doctors say surgery first, mine has had surgery at the bottom of the list. The 'surgery if all else fails' method.
I feel bad when I read this board sometimes and see so many horror stories and so many against the surgery.

Re: Well, I am having the surgery in two weeks, any words of wisdom?

Julie on 8/31/01 at 13:56 (058592)

Paula, it has been a long hard haul for you, hasn't it? I can't say anything about surgery, not having had it, but I do hope that you will be one of the many lucky ones, that the surgery will be well done, that you'll rec over quickly and completely, and that it will leave you much, much better off.

My very best to you.

Julie

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 14:49 (058600)

Paula, while you've read much here about the pros and cons of surgery, that by no means indicates that surgery is the wrong choice. It is absolutely not the wrong choice especially when you've practiced all the other options first. It is, as is all else we try, a very good choice when you've taken the time to educate yourself thoroughly....as you clearly have. You have studied and practiced all of your options well and should approach surgery with a solid, strong frame of mind. Do not hate surgery as that will inhibit your healing. See it as the wisest choice you can make and remember that a good majority of surgeries are very successful. We just happen to see more of the problematic cases here, that's all. You'll have the surgery, you'll wisely give it a good deal of time to heal properly, and you will probably be much the better off for it and be chasing those babies around in due time! Keep us informed, OK?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 14:52 (058601)

Paula - I was wondering what you were up too... boy, do I understand the struggle to decide about surgery! Before my surgery I was TERRIFIED because I had read so many 'horror stories.' Still, I'm glad that they made me really think about the type of surgery I wanted. I even got to see it performed (on the video page of heelspurs.com, that is), and it was also important to me that the spur was removed, and most of the fascia left intact for support. I had done everything, including ESWT, and I had reached the mental end of the line. When my doctor and I decided that ESWT hadn't worked for me, I had a good cry and he took the spur out. I have really little children too. I have been disabled 1/3 of my three year old's life. I had to take the chance.

I think one of the most important things to be honest about is healing time. Sometimes it can take up to six months or more to know if the surgery was successful. That way you aren't freaking out if you aren't better in three months. Take great comfort in the fact that your doctor is conservative and that surgery is his last option. It is also a comfort to think that most people who have successful surgeries aren't cruising the internet - they are out walking around.

So, those are my wisdoms... decide carefully about the type of surgery you have for your unique foot, keep your healing time in mind, and remember that you have a good chance at success.

I'm pulling for you! Let me know what happens. B.

Re: Thanks

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 15:46 (058615)

Thanks Barbara. Yes, I am having a partial release done and he is taking the heel spur also. He is doing the inner side incision and told me I probably won't notice anything for a few months. Doctors tend to tell you the worst with which to measure, not the best. Which I understand.
Thank you for the support. I am nervous but anxious. Thanks to everyone on this board, I walked into this doctor informed. I knew everything of what he said when he was saying it. Knowledge is power.
I figure it has been almost two years with the constant pain. I can wait a few months to see if surgery is successful. I already told my husband I will follow this doctor's instructions to the letter!
So, how are you doing Barbara? When did you finally have surgery?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 18:00 (058632)

Paula - I had surgery on June 15. I am just now beginning to walk around the house from room to room without crutches, but I also have neuromas in both feet that are also very painful. I'm getting those taken care of at the end of Sept. My incision was dead center on the bottom of my heel. It healed super-quickly (the insicion, that is). Lots of rest helped that. I had at least four days were I did absolutely nothing. That is hard to do when you have little kids, but so worth it! you have a great attitude - you'll do great! B.

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 18:49 (058641)

Oh Barbara, I have a wonderful husband who is taking some time off work to be home with me to help. June 15th? Just now getting around w/o crutches?
I can't remember what my doctor told me. A few weeks at least with two crutches then I can graduate to one. Oh boy!
Glad to hear you are doing better. I also suffer from bunions near the big toe and the small toe of that same foot. I think the orthotics I was using for a short time caused the smaller bunion. It pushed all the pressure to the outer part of my foot..

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 22:07 (058666)

Paula - with a supportive husband, your recovery time will be so much better. You are right, I think, to realize that uneven presure in your foot causes other problems. After two years of pf, I could walk around and appear to be walking normally, but I wasn't stepping on my heel - that is how good the body is at protecting parts that hurt. In a long term case, it spawns other problems (like neuromas and bunions). I think that the reason that I was on the crutches so long is that the heel surgery just made me put more pressure on the front of my foot, and my old, compensating pain was back full force. You have to protect the whole foot after surgery, not just the heel. B.

john h on 9/02/01 at 13:10 (058797)

Paula: i have had surgery and still walking. It was not my first choice but if i had not tried it i would always have wondering. At some point in your foot problems you have to make a choice to do nothing or to do something.

john h on 9/04/01 at 09:46 (058998)

aside from the doctor the most important part of surgery for me was selecting which type: open, mis, baxter procedure, endoscopic. i would say to anyone, clearly understand those procedures and the pluses and minues for each and ask you doctor how many has he performed. this is a very personal choice and one you must make. in any event, it is not a long or dangerous surgery as surgeries go. the outcome will depend on you and your doctor. so paula go get um girl. you are going to be ok.

Julie on 8/31/01 at 13:56 (058592)

Paula, it has been a long hard haul for you, hasn't it? I can't say anything about surgery, not having had it, but I do hope that you will be one of the many lucky ones, that the surgery will be well done, that you'll rec over quickly and completely, and that it will leave you much, much better off.

My very best to you.

Julie

JudyS on 8/31/01 at 14:49 (058600)

Paula, while you've read much here about the pros and cons of surgery, that by no means indicates that surgery is the wrong choice. It is absolutely not the wrong choice especially when you've practiced all the other options first. It is, as is all else we try, a very good choice when you've taken the time to educate yourself thoroughly....as you clearly have. You have studied and practiced all of your options well and should approach surgery with a solid, strong frame of mind. Do not hate surgery as that will inhibit your healing. See it as the wisest choice you can make and remember that a good majority of surgeries are very successful. We just happen to see more of the problematic cases here, that's all. You'll have the surgery, you'll wisely give it a good deal of time to heal properly, and you will probably be much the better off for it and be chasing those babies around in due time! Keep us informed, OK?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 14:52 (058601)

Paula - I was wondering what you were up too... boy, do I understand the struggle to decide about surgery! Before my surgery I was TERRIFIED because I had read so many 'horror stories.' Still, I'm glad that they made me really think about the type of surgery I wanted. I even got to see it performed (on the video page of heelspurs.com, that is), and it was also important to me that the spur was removed, and most of the fascia left intact for support. I had done everything, including ESWT, and I had reached the mental end of the line. When my doctor and I decided that ESWT hadn't worked for me, I had a good cry and he took the spur out. I have really little children too. I have been disabled 1/3 of my three year old's life. I had to take the chance.

I think one of the most important things to be honest about is healing time. Sometimes it can take up to six months or more to know if the surgery was successful. That way you aren't freaking out if you aren't better in three months. Take great comfort in the fact that your doctor is conservative and that surgery is his last option. It is also a comfort to think that most people who have successful surgeries aren't cruising the internet - they are out walking around.

So, those are my wisdoms... decide carefully about the type of surgery you have for your unique foot, keep your healing time in mind, and remember that you have a good chance at success.

I'm pulling for you! Let me know what happens. B.

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 15:46 (058615)

Thanks Barbara. Yes, I am having a partial release done and he is taking the heel spur also. He is doing the inner side incision and told me I probably won't notice anything for a few months. Doctors tend to tell you the worst with which to measure, not the best. Which I understand.
Thank you for the support. I am nervous but anxious. Thanks to everyone on this board, I walked into this doctor informed. I knew everything of what he said when he was saying it. Knowledge is power.
I figure it has been almost two years with the constant pain. I can wait a few months to see if surgery is successful. I already told my husband I will follow this doctor's instructions to the letter!
So, how are you doing Barbara? When did you finally have surgery?

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 18:00 (058632)

Paula - I had surgery on June 15. I am just now beginning to walk around the house from room to room without crutches, but I also have neuromas in both feet that are also very painful. I'm getting those taken care of at the end of Sept. My incision was dead center on the bottom of my heel. It healed super-quickly (the insicion, that is). Lots of rest helped that. I had at least four days were I did absolutely nothing. That is hard to do when you have little kids, but so worth it! you have a great attitude - you'll do great! B.

Paula G. on 8/31/01 at 18:49 (058641)

Oh Barbara, I have a wonderful husband who is taking some time off work to be home with me to help. June 15th? Just now getting around w/o crutches?
I can't remember what my doctor told me. A few weeks at least with two crutches then I can graduate to one. Oh boy!
Glad to hear you are doing better. I also suffer from bunions near the big toe and the small toe of that same foot. I think the orthotics I was using for a short time caused the smaller bunion. It pushed all the pressure to the outer part of my foot..

Barbara TX on 8/31/01 at 22:07 (058666)

Paula - with a supportive husband, your recovery time will be so much better. You are right, I think, to realize that uneven presure in your foot causes other problems. After two years of pf, I could walk around and appear to be walking normally, but I wasn't stepping on my heel - that is how good the body is at protecting parts that hurt. In a long term case, it spawns other problems (like neuromas and bunions). I think that the reason that I was on the crutches so long is that the heel surgery just made me put more pressure on the front of my foot, and my old, compensating pain was back full force. You have to protect the whole foot after surgery, not just the heel. B.

john h on 9/02/01 at 13:10 (058797)

Paula: i have had surgery and still walking. It was not my first choice but if i had not tried it i would always have wondering. At some point in your foot problems you have to make a choice to do nothing or to do something.

john h on 9/04/01 at 09:46 (058998)

aside from the doctor the most important part of surgery for me was selecting which type: open, mis, baxter procedure, endoscopic. i would say to anyone, clearly understand those procedures and the pluses and minues for each and ask you doctor how many has he performed. this is a very personal choice and one you must make. in any event, it is not a long or dangerous surgery as surgeries go. the outcome will depend on you and your doctor. so paula go get um girl. you are going to be ok.