Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

need sneakers, but don't know what to get

Posted by rk on 8/31/01 at 13:50 (058591)

I just found out I have Sever's Disease in my left foot, which I suppose is something like plantar fasciitis, and for now I am on crutches for the week and am being advised to keep off of it. I'm 18 years old, and I have a feeling that it has a lot to do with the shoes I wear - usually sandals or sneakers that are made for looks and not for support. I'm leaving for college in Boston in about 2 weeks, and I know that I will be doing A LOT of walking around campus and the city. I was wondering what type of sneakers would be good for my condition. I have heard good things about New Balance and Nike, but I don't know what to do. Has anyone had experience with this also and can make any recommendations? Thanks!

Re: need sneakers, but don't know what to get

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 14:08 (058594)

Sever's disease is calcaneal apohysitis---inflammation of the growth plate in the heel. The growth plate closes by age 13 to 14. It is virtually impossible to have Sever's disease at age 18.
Ed

BrianG on 8/31/01 at 16:08 (058622)

Hi rk,

I guess no matter what you have, your going to want good sneakers. I like New Balance 854's. They have roll bar technology, which helps the sneakers to bend in the right places. Check them out at the New Balance web site. Good luck in Beantown.
BCG

BG CPED on 8/31/01 at 20:21 (058655)

Dr Davis is right on the severs (not like my opinion matters) You could have achilles tendonitis near the insertion. If you have been playing any sports or started wearing low heeled shoes or sandals and did lots of walking that could set it off. It is not common at your age but if you have grown in height in last year that can stretch that area also.

I would wear a good running shoe or cross trainer. Not big on most Nike, I would look for New Balance, they have many styles and come in widths. Find a local Pedorthist that sells shoes or at least go to a good running shoe store. Big box retail dont usually have anybody to help so the shoe you pick is hit or miss. Also avoid the Reebok DMX very unstable shoe in most models.

Also going barefoot or in socks will probably make it worse, try to wear a sport sandal in the house. If your going away to college it will feel better. You will be drinking and sitting on the couch with Playstation, also sleeping in, should give the achilles a good rest

rk on 9/01/01 at 10:32 (058703)

Gee, I guess it's time for a new doctor, then, huh?

Re: Stay away from Nike

Carmen H on 9/02/01 at 18:22 (058844)

I DO NOT recommend Nike of any type. I believe if I had stayed away from Nike I would be a lot better off. They killed my feet and out me over the edge.
Good luck.
Don't go barefoot.
Read, Read, Read about this condition and take care of your feet....even after the condition gets better.

sandy hendry on 9/03/01 at 03:20 (058882)

The advice on this site worked well for me so far...ie don't go for the soft shoes Nike seems to favor with all their air bubbles showing! Three days in some Asics gt2060 and my feet feel a lot better. they have a rigid heelcup and harder cushioning on the inside of the heel. Some shoe like that might be worth trying. I must say though that running shoes hurt my ankles and TP and flat shoes hurt my heels...dunno why that is.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 14:08 (058594)

Sever's disease is calcaneal apohysitis---inflammation of the growth plate in the heel. The growth plate closes by age 13 to 14. It is virtually impossible to have Sever's disease at age 18.
Ed

BrianG on 8/31/01 at 16:08 (058622)

Hi rk,

I guess no matter what you have, your going to want good sneakers. I like New Balance 854's. They have roll bar technology, which helps the sneakers to bend in the right places. Check them out at the New Balance web site. Good luck in Beantown.
BCG

BG CPED on 8/31/01 at 20:21 (058655)

Dr Davis is right on the severs (not like my opinion matters) You could have achilles tendonitis near the insertion. If you have been playing any sports or started wearing low heeled shoes or sandals and did lots of walking that could set it off. It is not common at your age but if you have grown in height in last year that can stretch that area also.

I would wear a good running shoe or cross trainer. Not big on most Nike, I would look for New Balance, they have many styles and come in widths. Find a local Pedorthist that sells shoes or at least go to a good running shoe store. Big box retail dont usually have anybody to help so the shoe you pick is hit or miss. Also avoid the Reebok DMX very unstable shoe in most models.

Also going barefoot or in socks will probably make it worse, try to wear a sport sandal in the house. If your going away to college it will feel better. You will be drinking and sitting on the couch with Playstation, also sleeping in, should give the achilles a good rest

rk on 9/01/01 at 10:32 (058703)

Gee, I guess it's time for a new doctor, then, huh?

Re: Stay away from Nike

Carmen H on 9/02/01 at 18:22 (058844)

I DO NOT recommend Nike of any type. I believe if I had stayed away from Nike I would be a lot better off. They killed my feet and out me over the edge.
Good luck.
Don't go barefoot.
Read, Read, Read about this condition and take care of your feet....even after the condition gets better.

sandy hendry on 9/03/01 at 03:20 (058882)

The advice on this site worked well for me so far...ie don't go for the soft shoes Nike seems to favor with all their air bubbles showing! Three days in some Asics gt2060 and my feet feel a lot better. they have a rigid heelcup and harder cushioning on the inside of the heel. Some shoe like that might be worth trying. I must say though that running shoes hurt my ankles and TP and flat shoes hurt my heels...dunno why that is.