Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

haglunds deformity

Posted by karen F on 8/31/01 at 18:49 (058640)

I had surgery for haglund's deformity in December 2000. The pain had begun in May and did not respond to anti inflamatories injectiona and visco heel pads. I am on my feet at lot at work and I was in terrible pain and couldn't wear shoes. Doctor finally recomended surgery. Surgery went fine I also had a hammertoe corrected. The bone was removed from back of heel the tendon was not disturbes. I was in an orthopedic boot, no cast, and I was off work for four weeks. I am still in considerable pain. I can only wear backless shoes which are not very supportive for my feet. I can't walk more than a few hundred feet. My doctor is a reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon who teaches in at Dr. Sholls. He has recommended stretching exercises and anti inflamatories. I have a large heel spur that he feels is not the cause of the pain. The pain occurs when I move foot and also on the bottom of my foot at the outer edge of the heel. Sometimes the back of my heel is super senstive to the touch. I t still has a bump on the back. I've had two trigger point injections recently a month apart. The first one helped a lot the second not at all. I am getting desperate as I had been exercising regularly for my diabetes and had lost weight. NOw I have gained back all I'd lost and can't walk, my preferred exercise. This foot pain is affecting the rest of my health. What do I do? Karen F.

Re: haglunds deformity

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 18:59 (058642)

The sequence of events is not clear. Was it May of 2000 when the pain started? What is the bump on the back? Is it visible on X-ray?
Ed

anne on 8/31/01 at 20:29 (058656)

HI Karen
What doctor did you see and where do you live? I ask b/c I had work done by a reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon in Boston and wonder if it is the same one.
Good luck and feel better.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/31/01 at 21:18 (058661)

Karen,

It is possible that not enough bone was removed from the Haglands area, especially if the tendon was not disturbed. You mention you are a diabetic, this could have had a role in the surgeon's decision to be more conservative in the amount of bone resected and therefore not having to deal with the tendon. Age is also a factor in healing, you didn't mention your age or weight or if he/she determined in you had any shortening in the achilles tendon. It is really impossible to tell with out examining you. I am in the Chicago area, if you would like another opinion. I am board certified in surgery and orthopedics and have trained many residents. My office number is (630) 852-8650 if you have any questions or would like to make an appointment.

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 18:59 (058642)

The sequence of events is not clear. Was it May of 2000 when the pain started? What is the bump on the back? Is it visible on X-ray?
Ed

anne on 8/31/01 at 20:29 (058656)

HI Karen
What doctor did you see and where do you live? I ask b/c I had work done by a reconstructive foot and ankle surgeon in Boston and wonder if it is the same one.
Good luck and feel better.

Dr. Marlene Reid on 8/31/01 at 21:18 (058661)

Karen,

It is possible that not enough bone was removed from the Haglands area, especially if the tendon was not disturbed. You mention you are a diabetic, this could have had a role in the surgeon's decision to be more conservative in the amount of bone resected and therefore not having to deal with the tendon. Age is also a factor in healing, you didn't mention your age or weight or if he/she determined in you had any shortening in the achilles tendon. It is really impossible to tell with out examining you. I am in the Chicago area, if you would like another opinion. I am board certified in surgery and orthopedics and have trained many residents. My office number is (630) 852-8650 if you have any questions or would like to make an appointment.