Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel

Posted by Tracey A on 8/31/01 at 19:41 (058647)

Dear Doctors,
I've written to you before about planter fascia surgery. I had 2 surgeries last year and I am not better. I have permanent damage now. Went to new doctor this week and he thinks I have tarsal tunnel and has set up a nerve test for next Wednesday. I heard the test hurts, is that true? He also said I still have planter fascia in the foot that has been operated on twice and the start of it in my left foot. My question is should the other doctor have notice this and had the test done or is something that happened after the surgeries? I'm so confused about what's happening to my foot. Please any input would be great. Tracey

Re: Tarsal tunnel

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 19:50 (058649)

NCV testing utilizes needle electrodes so it can be uncomfortable but not frankly painful based on what most patients tell me. People have different pain thresholds though.

The plantar fascia is living tissue so it does re-establish itself after being cut. The manner in which it does so is variable. Would really need to see your foot to know what happened for sure.

Tarsal tunnel syndrome can come on insidiously and can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages.
Ed

Re: Tarsal tunnel

Ed Davis, DPM on 8/31/01 at 19:50 (058649)

NCV testing utilizes needle electrodes so it can be uncomfortable but not frankly painful based on what most patients tell me. People have different pain thresholds though.

The plantar fascia is living tissue so it does re-establish itself after being cut. The manner in which it does so is variable. Would really need to see your foot to know what happened for sure.

Tarsal tunnel syndrome can come on insidiously and can be difficult to diagnose in its early stages.
Ed