Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Son has heel spurs-achillies tendenitis?

Posted by Randy M on 9/01/01 at 17:44 (058732)

My son is fr basketball player a D-2 school. His Sr yr he took 2 cortisone shots! The first one really helped and we thought it was well! Have been to a Surgen & Foot doctor! He has slep with a night cast! We have stretched and took it easy but his first college practice it started hurting right away! He could redshirt and rest it for a whole yr but I
dont think rest will help! He is 6-7 230 lbs. We have told them no more cortisone but what to do? Im frustrated and do not know where to go! Im afraid hes not going to be able to play which is a shame! He loves basketball! But I dont want to risk him being seriously injured! Help! e-mail me at Mcgheebells55@aol.com

Re: Son has heel spurs-achillies tendenitis?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:17 (058800)

He needs a thorough biomechanical workup--even more important in athletes than the general population. I certainly hope stretching, casts and cortisone shots are not the only treatment he has had.
Ed

Randy M on 9/02/01 at 17:22 (058836)

Yes so far thats all we have done but were going to foot doctor on wed. He also takes celebrex! Were at the point of thinking about just bringing him home and him not playing ball! I live right outside Ft Smith Ark. He thought he would be allright. Ill ask about biomedichal-workup we have also been to a physical therapist. I just dont think hes going to be able to play ball! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated? He rests it and its better until he has to practice hard at this point were pretty much lost!
He has been in heel cups the whole time and they dont help!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:17 (058800)

He needs a thorough biomechanical workup--even more important in athletes than the general population. I certainly hope stretching, casts and cortisone shots are not the only treatment he has had.
Ed

Randy M on 9/02/01 at 17:22 (058836)

Yes so far thats all we have done but were going to foot doctor on wed. He also takes celebrex! Were at the point of thinking about just bringing him home and him not playing ball! I live right outside Ft Smith Ark. He thought he would be allright. Ill ask about biomedichal-workup we have also been to a physical therapist. I just dont think hes going to be able to play ball! Any ideas will be greatly appreciated? He rests it and its better until he has to practice hard at this point were pretty much lost!
He has been in heel cups the whole time and they dont help!