Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoe Help/Advice needed desperately!

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 07:13 (058758)

First, I thank everyone who posts on this site, as I have learned so much from reading everyone's messages!

Now for my situation: I wear a women's size 11 - have for years. However, as I have seen mentioned here before, I suspect with the PF I was diagnosed with 3 months ago, I need a bit larger size. Therein lies the problem...It has been hard always to find shoes, but now that is even harder! Narrow heel, wider across my foot, high arches, and now PF.

I have lived in my Arizona Birkenstocks for a month now thanks to finding out about them here and finding a store an hour away in Louisville. After dr. visit there Fri., I went back to store and got Bostons for the fall. I have to have a 43 in the Boston shoe so that it does not hurt my toes. That eliminates all the 'prettier', dressier type shoes they make for women only since they stop at a 42 and run a bit shorter than the 42 Arizonas, the salesperson said. My toes are almost at the end of those, but they are comfortable.

I teach first grade, so sandals and clogs are fine there. But, by husband is a minister, and there are many other events I attend where I have to have some dressier shoes. I have gotten by with sandals this summer, but cool weather is coming and also 3 weddings to attend. I don't want to set back my progress...Any suggestions??? Any other women with long feet who can advise? I have read of NAOTS, and Mesphistos, and Danskos on this site but don't know anything about any of them. Big sizes for women?? For years I have worn SAS shoes, wearing the open-toed slings for dress and sandals and the Softie mocassin type for school. Of course those soft shoes probably helped me develop PF. It's always been a challenge, but now...THANKS for any help.

Re: Shoe Help/Advice needed desperately!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:47 (058804)

Birkenstock has come up with some fairly dressy styles in the last couple of years so you amy want to obtain a catalog.

The Munro dress shoe is an extra depth dress shoe that does not look like an extra depth shoe--really stylish and professional looking. They accomodate the majority of orthotics. The Munro line is available at Nordstrom department store ( I am not sure who else carries them).
Ed

Barbara TX on 9/02/01 at 15:56 (058823)

Birk does indeed make dressier shoes now. You can go to Birkenstock.com to order a full catalog, and then to the German Birkenstock website (click on the blue link) if you need them more cheaply.

I think that Dansko clogs are dressy especially in black, glossy leather. Some can be had with a back panel as well, in many kinds of leathers. I am wearing a 44 right now (12-13?) and they indeed look very feminine. In fact, no guy who wants to look remotely like a guy would wear these.

You might also try the on-line company cloudwalkers.com, but make sure that your selected shoe has a footbed that is 'contoured' or 'European' - they will offer more support. Best to order a paper catalog from their site so you can get a good view of the footbeds. Lots of dressy stuff up to size 13.

If you have a Nordstroms near you, they can fit you with classy shoes as well (I think that they go up to size 14)... shoes like Munroe, Glacee', Via Spiga, etc. for really dressy events.

Good luck with your quest! They are out there, but it takes some work to find them. B.

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 16:39 (058829)

Thank you for your response. I had not heard of Munro shoes or Nordstrom (I am a small town/country 'girl') and found a site on the Internet for Nordstrom and am checking that out. Perhaps there is a store in Louisville, only an hour away. I will check on that, too. I appreciate the information!

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 16:43 (058830)

THANK YOU so much, Barbara! I think I have read on this message board that you are something of a 'shoe expert'! I appreciate your information and advice more than I can say. Does Birkenstock make these dressier shoes in sizes larger than a 42? I had understood from the salesperson at the Birkenstock store in Louisville that a 42 was as high as they went unless it was a 'unisex' shoe. Perhaps I misunderstood her, or perhaps she meant that was all she had in her store. I will check on the internet site as well. I look forward to also checking on the other shoes you mentioned. Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to help me!

Lisa S. on 9/02/01 at 17:13 (058834)

Hi Suzanne!! I'm a kindergarten teacher and I know what it's like to be on your feet all day and then some!! I was diagnosed with PF and heel spurs last November. Soon after I found this site and it has helped me tremendously. I wear Birkenstocks now all the time. Last Easter vacation I wore them all day every day (up until then I just slipped them on when I got home in the afternoons...). I received real relief from the pain when I began to wear them all the time. I wear the Arizonas, Granadas, and Bostons. I just purchased a pair of the Annapolis (Mary Jane style) for the start of the new school which begins this coming Wednesday. Do you have a Fall/Winter catalog? I noticed some of the styles do come larger than 42. ALSO, have you tried the Birkenstock inserts. I have used them at times in my regular shoes and they help somewhat although I much prefer just straight Birks. I saw a pair of black patent leather Bostons at a Birkenstock store at the beach this summer that I thought looked quite dressy - they were very shiny. Sorry this is so long...

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 22:13 (058871)

THANK YOU for writing! I will see about getting a Birkenstock catalog. I know you can understand, being a kindgergarten teacher! :-) We've been in school for a month now, and without the Arizonas I don't know how I would be making it! Bostons in a patent sound really nice...

Thanks again, and good luck to you in your new school year!

Mary Ann S on 9/02/01 at 22:29 (058873)

Do you know if the cloudwalkers have an arch support?

Nancy N on 9/03/01 at 09:35 (058903)

Just a note about Cloudwalkers--I've never worn them myself, but I know that they are sold at Avenue stores (a plus-size women's clothing store). You can find an Avenue store on their website, avenue.com, if you want to be able to try the shoes on before ordering them.

Barbara TX on 9/03/01 at 11:05 (058912)

Suanne - actually, Beverly TX is the regular shoe expert, and I just handle the 'larger models.' Here at heelspurs.com we effectively distribute the labor! The folks at Birkenstock carry 'unisex' pretty far... for example, the Valencia in this fall's catalog is a cute t-strap, and it goes up to a 47. The Napa is a slide with a Mary Jane strap that goes to a 43, and in the prettier sandals, most all go up to a 43, not a 42. You are right to rely upon the catalog, not a salesperson. But if you are ordering from Germany, try to test drive a pair in an American store - it is a hastle returning shoes to Germany (but they will do it). You can also purchase the Birk footbed alone in the back of the catalog if you really love it, and put it in some (flat) shoe that you like.

If you find anything interesting in the larger shoes sizes, let me know. I'm always looking too! Good luck. B.

Suzanne D on 9/03/01 at 17:22 (058945)

THANKS! I will let you know what I find.

Suzanne D on 9/03/01 at 17:23 (058946)

I appreciate this information. I'll check out the Avenue website. Thank goodness for the internet!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:47 (058804)

Birkenstock has come up with some fairly dressy styles in the last couple of years so you amy want to obtain a catalog.

The Munro dress shoe is an extra depth dress shoe that does not look like an extra depth shoe--really stylish and professional looking. They accomodate the majority of orthotics. The Munro line is available at Nordstrom department store ( I am not sure who else carries them).
Ed

Barbara TX on 9/02/01 at 15:56 (058823)

Birk does indeed make dressier shoes now. You can go to Birkenstock.com to order a full catalog, and then to the German Birkenstock website (click on the blue link) if you need them more cheaply.

I think that Dansko clogs are dressy especially in black, glossy leather. Some can be had with a back panel as well, in many kinds of leathers. I am wearing a 44 right now (12-13?) and they indeed look very feminine. In fact, no guy who wants to look remotely like a guy would wear these.

You might also try the on-line company cloudwalkers.com, but make sure that your selected shoe has a footbed that is 'contoured' or 'European' - they will offer more support. Best to order a paper catalog from their site so you can get a good view of the footbeds. Lots of dressy stuff up to size 13.

If you have a Nordstroms near you, they can fit you with classy shoes as well (I think that they go up to size 14)... shoes like Munroe, Glacee', Via Spiga, etc. for really dressy events.

Good luck with your quest! They are out there, but it takes some work to find them. B.

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 16:39 (058829)

Thank you for your response. I had not heard of Munro shoes or Nordstrom (I am a small town/country 'girl') and found a site on the Internet for Nordstrom and am checking that out. Perhaps there is a store in Louisville, only an hour away. I will check on that, too. I appreciate the information!

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 16:43 (058830)

THANK YOU so much, Barbara! I think I have read on this message board that you are something of a 'shoe expert'! I appreciate your information and advice more than I can say. Does Birkenstock make these dressier shoes in sizes larger than a 42? I had understood from the salesperson at the Birkenstock store in Louisville that a 42 was as high as they went unless it was a 'unisex' shoe. Perhaps I misunderstood her, or perhaps she meant that was all she had in her store. I will check on the internet site as well. I look forward to also checking on the other shoes you mentioned. Once again, I appreciate your taking the time to help me!

Lisa S. on 9/02/01 at 17:13 (058834)

Hi Suzanne!! I'm a kindergarten teacher and I know what it's like to be on your feet all day and then some!! I was diagnosed with PF and heel spurs last November. Soon after I found this site and it has helped me tremendously. I wear Birkenstocks now all the time. Last Easter vacation I wore them all day every day (up until then I just slipped them on when I got home in the afternoons...). I received real relief from the pain when I began to wear them all the time. I wear the Arizonas, Granadas, and Bostons. I just purchased a pair of the Annapolis (Mary Jane style) for the start of the new school which begins this coming Wednesday. Do you have a Fall/Winter catalog? I noticed some of the styles do come larger than 42. ALSO, have you tried the Birkenstock inserts. I have used them at times in my regular shoes and they help somewhat although I much prefer just straight Birks. I saw a pair of black patent leather Bostons at a Birkenstock store at the beach this summer that I thought looked quite dressy - they were very shiny. Sorry this is so long...

Suzanne D on 9/02/01 at 22:13 (058871)

THANK YOU for writing! I will see about getting a Birkenstock catalog. I know you can understand, being a kindgergarten teacher! :-) We've been in school for a month now, and without the Arizonas I don't know how I would be making it! Bostons in a patent sound really nice...

Thanks again, and good luck to you in your new school year!

Mary Ann S on 9/02/01 at 22:29 (058873)

Do you know if the cloudwalkers have an arch support?

Nancy N on 9/03/01 at 09:35 (058903)

Just a note about Cloudwalkers--I've never worn them myself, but I know that they are sold at Avenue stores (a plus-size women's clothing store). You can find an Avenue store on their website, avenue.com, if you want to be able to try the shoes on before ordering them.

Barbara TX on 9/03/01 at 11:05 (058912)

Suanne - actually, Beverly TX is the regular shoe expert, and I just handle the 'larger models.' Here at heelspurs.com we effectively distribute the labor! The folks at Birkenstock carry 'unisex' pretty far... for example, the Valencia in this fall's catalog is a cute t-strap, and it goes up to a 47. The Napa is a slide with a Mary Jane strap that goes to a 43, and in the prettier sandals, most all go up to a 43, not a 42. You are right to rely upon the catalog, not a salesperson. But if you are ordering from Germany, try to test drive a pair in an American store - it is a hastle returning shoes to Germany (but they will do it). You can also purchase the Birk footbed alone in the back of the catalog if you really love it, and put it in some (flat) shoe that you like.

If you find anything interesting in the larger shoes sizes, let me know. I'm always looking too! Good luck. B.

Suzanne D on 9/03/01 at 17:22 (058945)

THANKS! I will let you know what I find.

Suzanne D on 9/03/01 at 17:23 (058946)

I appreciate this information. I'll check out the Avenue website. Thank goodness for the internet!