Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

need quick stats....

Posted by Carmen H on 9/02/01 at 09:41 (058774)

Can someone giveme a quick run down on some stats?
What percentage of people that go to a POD have PF?
What % of insurance co's cover Orthotics?
What % of people get better from conservative treatment (NO surgery or shots)?
What % of people quit or lose their jobs b/c of this?

How many doctors do people see before they find one that works?
Just general ideas for these things....I know definite numbers aren't possible.

Thanks!!!!

Re: need quick stats....

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:14 (058799)

Can give you some guesstimates based on my personal practice experience.
About 20 to 25% of the patients I see have plantar fasciitis. About 75% of the insurers in my area cover orthotics--this can vary significantly with geography. Conservative treatment gets better than 90% of patients better, although, most doctors would include shots with conservative treatment. ESWT is new but, by its nature, I would classify it as a conservative treatment. I really am unable even to take an educated guess as to how many people lose or quit their jobs because of PF. Individuals who make their living on their feet are more likely to miss work than people with desk jobs. Another factor would be the amount of time it takes for people to obtain effective or definitive treatment; it appears that there is some geopgraphic variation on this too. The majority of my patients with plantar fasciitis work while obtaining treatment. Some may be on light duty. Most of the patients I see who are missing work are individuals in whom the symptoms were allowed to progress for a fairly long time period before definitive treatment was initiated (ie. individuals who ignored the symptoms hoping they would get better or individuals who had symptomatic treatment only).
Ed
Ed

Re: thanks and wow

Carmen H on 9/02/01 at 18:16 (058842)

Wow your answers are very different from the POD I first went to. He said (in Atlanta GA) 80% of his patients that he sees have PF. 90% of the people's insurance won't cover orthotics!~

Forgive me but where do you practice again? I am on low brain cells today....ha

john h on 9/06/01 at 10:05 (059223)

the only percentage i remember reading Carmen was that 90% of those diagnosed with PF get better and get on with their lives with conservative treatment. I have seen numbers of 6-9 million cases of PF each year. I do not have any idea of the accuracy of these numbers. I vaguely remember that about 2-3% of diagnosed cases become chronic requiring treatments such as surgery. Problem wtih stats is that if 'you' are one of the ones who is a hardcore chronic PF patient the 90% that get well with conservative treatment is totally irrelevant to you.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/02/01 at 13:14 (058799)

Can give you some guesstimates based on my personal practice experience.
About 20 to 25% of the patients I see have plantar fasciitis. About 75% of the insurers in my area cover orthotics--this can vary significantly with geography. Conservative treatment gets better than 90% of patients better, although, most doctors would include shots with conservative treatment. ESWT is new but, by its nature, I would classify it as a conservative treatment. I really am unable even to take an educated guess as to how many people lose or quit their jobs because of PF. Individuals who make their living on their feet are more likely to miss work than people with desk jobs. Another factor would be the amount of time it takes for people to obtain effective or definitive treatment; it appears that there is some geopgraphic variation on this too. The majority of my patients with plantar fasciitis work while obtaining treatment. Some may be on light duty. Most of the patients I see who are missing work are individuals in whom the symptoms were allowed to progress for a fairly long time period before definitive treatment was initiated (ie. individuals who ignored the symptoms hoping they would get better or individuals who had symptomatic treatment only).
Ed
Ed

Re: thanks and wow

Carmen H on 9/02/01 at 18:16 (058842)

Wow your answers are very different from the POD I first went to. He said (in Atlanta GA) 80% of his patients that he sees have PF. 90% of the people's insurance won't cover orthotics!~

Forgive me but where do you practice again? I am on low brain cells today....ha

john h on 9/06/01 at 10:05 (059223)

the only percentage i remember reading Carmen was that 90% of those diagnosed with PF get better and get on with their lives with conservative treatment. I have seen numbers of 6-9 million cases of PF each year. I do not have any idea of the accuracy of these numbers. I vaguely remember that about 2-3% of diagnosed cases become chronic requiring treatments such as surgery. Problem wtih stats is that if 'you' are one of the ones who is a hardcore chronic PF patient the 90% that get well with conservative treatment is totally irrelevant to you.