Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Browsing before the next appt....

Posted by Dona on 9/02/01 at 09:50 (058775)

I had to reschedule my appt with a new ortho dr (due to a change in my work schedule), so I don't go until the 10th now. In the meantime, I'm browsing boards looking for more clues to discuss with the doc once I get there. Just a quick history: PF and a heel spur in right foot, cortisone injection in April, 'pins and needles' sensation about a week after, ankle 'locking up' with pain along top of foot by toes and along outside of foot, intermittent loss of feeling along sole of foot, some sort of mass visible at arch under ankle bone. The first dr said he thought it was TTS and told me to double the Vioxx and apply ice. That didn't do much but tear up my stomach even more, and I've found that heat works better than ice. (Hot towels are marvelous.) In the last month, I've found the pain is now fairly localized to the bones leading from my ankle to the outer three toes and the ankle, itself. When I get off my feet at night, I have aching in the arch and sometimes the sole. The loss of sensation is no longer a problem, but the mass is still there at my arch. I do have occasional tingles running thru my foot or up my leg for no reason, again, when not weight-bearing. I can feel a distinct tightness running side-to-side under my foot at the arch, but haven't found any good way to stretch that out yet. (I can stretch my foot any way I want and the pain stays to the side of the foot and in the ankle.) I used to limp quite a bit, especially when I first got going after any length of sitting but figured out it hurt if I limped or not, and I was tired of my knees taking the brunt of the awkward gait, so I try very hard to walk *normally.* I know there are no one set of 'typical' TTS symptoms, but does this sound similar or could I be looking at a whole new picture? Thanks for any information.
Dona

Re: Browsing before the next appt....

wendyn on 9/02/01 at 09:55 (058778)

Donna - could be - but of course I'm not a doctor. If I was in your shoes, I'd make sure that a full blood work up is done (B12, thyroid, lupus, RH factor, diabetes). I'd also like an MRI done of what ever that lump is. Any pins and needles, tingling, numbness usually indicates nerve involvement of some kind. If your situation was as 'simple' as a benign tumor pressing on a nerve - removal of it might just cure your problems!

Re: Browsing before the next appt....

wendyn on 9/02/01 at 09:55 (058778)

Donna - could be - but of course I'm not a doctor. If I was in your shoes, I'd make sure that a full blood work up is done (B12, thyroid, lupus, RH factor, diabetes). I'd also like an MRI done of what ever that lump is. Any pins and needles, tingling, numbness usually indicates nerve involvement of some kind. If your situation was as 'simple' as a benign tumor pressing on a nerve - removal of it might just cure your problems!