Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can you tell me what to expect next?

Posted by Tammie on 9/03/01 at 09:17 (058899)

Hi ,
I have gotton thru the first 3 days after surgery for the decompression of the post. nerve I think that is what it said on the paper. I have iced and elevated and have peeked inside bandage a bit there is a piece of (looks like fishing line) lol hanging out I couldnt see and stitches but am sure they are there. Not supposed to bear much weight thru the weekend till I see the doc on tues. Have crutches , hate them I sometimes use one , I have the pnemoutic walking cast I am supposed to use whenever up to go to the bathroom. I take it off when sitting or laying down as he told me to do that for added comfort . Which I am glad as the cast puts pressure on side of ankle and makes it hurt. I do have swelling, and pain but figure normal , now am wondering how I can help things be more of a positive healing . Have been having sharp jolts (hoping this to is normal) I guess since I dont know to much about this and feel like I have amnesia lol and cant remember allot of what was told to me,what I can expect during the healing process. If any one has tips I would be grateful , I think things are ok to this point , tho feel as not given very much for pain control, but maybe good in my case as it does make me keep still more, as I not only hear the foot talk I FEEL it ! So Thank in advance to any one who responds , and I guess I am looking for what to expect ahead.

Re: Can you tell me what to expect next?

cindyp on 9/03/01 at 09:45 (058904)

Well i had surgery on 7 June. I wasn't in a cast per set. Bandaged crutches and such until follow up in 3 weeks. Then stiches were out and stayed on crutches for another week. Waiting for soreness and swelling to leave. Then went to cane for another week or two. When all swelling and soreness was gone. I walked and was okay. Still get the occasional twinge and am a little sore on lateral side of foot but relatively okay. So I guess it sorta depends on how well you heel and such. I had a tumor and varicose vein removed as well. good luck and take it easy. do what dr. says and keep foot elevated.

SonnyK on 9/03/01 at 22:49 (058970)

Hang in there Tammie..I had my sugery on August 17 and I am now walking around without crutches in my 'bunion boot' as the nurse called it. I have an appointment to get my stiches out tomorrow. I never had any swelling or drainage. I have the 'piece of fishing line' too (in fact two pieces). I am almost thinking I may have staples in there...looks odd...will ask him what he did exactly when I see him. I had lots of pain but I kept my foot elevated and took the pain pills. He alshad me on muscle relaxers and antibiotics. I don't take anything now and do ocassionally get the sharp pains I used to get before the surgery. The insicion site is still tender to the touch. I didn't put any weight on my foot until a few days ago...it doesn't hurt as much as it feels weird or stiff. I just take my time and limp around the house. I had to get off the crutches because my shoulders and palms of my handswere killing me! Be careful not to use your armpits when you go on the crutches.I was in much pain all the time before the surgery so I hope this was worth it. I lived with not knowing what I had for a year (one Doc told me I had arthritis). I had a positve EMG in July and like I said, surgery on August 17. Right after the surgery, my Ortho told me to try to bear weight 4 days after surgery! I went by my own insticts as to when I felt OK enough to try to bear weight. I am just looking forward to seeing him tomorrow because when he explained things to me after my surgery, I was so out of it, I forgot what he said he did exactly. I didn't expect to be up and around this soon because I have read alot of horror stories here about long recoveries. I feel lucky so far but am taking one day at a time! Good Luck!

Re: Re:Thanks,Cindy and Sonny

Tammie on 9/04/01 at 08:07 (058989)

Hello I hope that you both are doing well it is good to hear from others to sort of see if things are going similar. I feel as tho I have so much into this and being my answer it alone makes me nervous. You understand what i mean ? I guess I did not expect pain I thought a final relief of the demom,and was angry and upset when I still felt pain and some of the old feelings like you foot comes alive . I was looking under the bandages yesterday exploring to why things were pulling and aching, I also found thanks to a mirror lol that I have stitches on the bottom of my foot? I dont know why he never mentioned that? Or maybe he did but I dont remember as I was groggy. My Dr. gave me his famous darvecet, and the mobic I think I had a iv with antibiotics. cant remember as I was rushed when I got there as he got there early and they sped thru getting me prepped, I mean one was putting iv in and anesthisia was asking the norm ??? and the dr. was drawing lines on my foot telling me to lay still and to tell him if that hurt thinking on it it must have been a bit comical, They all did stop when I said I feel like I am going to be sick lol, then they pushed the pen in to sign for the anesthesia, and a shot was put in Iv and thye said hubby give her a kiss and we started leaving that room and I was asleep till I woke in recovery. It was very fast checking in , I am glad tho as I was scared and nervous.But I did not digest much information. The doc called next day and told me to be good and please keep off the foot , only up 5 min at a time and he did not want me doing anything but being a couch potatoe till he seen me today tues. So am hoping he will give me more information also! I think all is ok I feel much better today and hope to feel much better tomorrow and the next day but I think it was all of the support here and the good friends and there wonderful words and cards of support! I would say the pain has eased up somewhat , I thank u for tellling me those jolts u felt and the electrical and tingling I think I was frightened that it did not work, but now thinking just a part of the healing! Thanks for the knowledge, and Sonny the fish line is just like I seem to have on side of my ankle to it looks strange! Take care and best wishes for a good recovery! Let me know how your post op goes! Yours is a long time after your surgery, I would have gone nuts worring hat long my dr. sees you 3 days after, but 4 do to a holiday! Good Luck to u!

CindyF on 9/04/01 at 10:33 (059000)

Hey Tammie...
Let me give you a little peice of advice....DON'T LET YOUT FOOT SWELL!!!
My foot got swollen like a football about 3 weeks after surgery....because I had to go out of town on a family emergency...and I drove 7 hours....and was unable to sit with it up much for 3 days...then the drive back....then a couple of days later I ended up with an infection....not sure if the swelling had anything to do with it...but I feel it did due to lack of blood flow to the area...
So here I am....6 weeks post op...still have the infection which has made a hole in my foot....unable to take the PT until it heals...not knowing how long that will be...unable to bear weight either...
So please....keep the foot up high....as much as possible...even weeks down the line....because my first couple of weeks I hardly had any swelling and the incision was healing well...then after the trip...and the swelling....boom...there was the infection...
I don't know if this had anything to do with it...because that same week I was diagnosed as a diabetic...and Doc thinks it could have been that too...but deep down...I feel it was the swelling...
It took me a week to get my foot back down to it's normal size....
Well..good luck on your healing....hope all goes well...
Oh...and I have those sudden electrical shock feelings in my foot also...which has gotten better as time goes by....
CindyF

Re: Thanks and I seen my pod today

tammie on 9/04/01 at 15:46 (059017)

Hi thank you again for the suggestions and advice it really is a nice way to feel a bit clamer to know things are normal and that others feel it to. Better then my doc saying yes mrs t what you are feeling is to be expected you have had surgeryand this is all about healing! Well I in fact did see him today, and it was a pleasant visit on the whole. I had allot of questions and things to tell him, lol I told him I cursed him out and wanted to make him a voodo doll and hoped he had pain like I had then as I was not to happy with him, he had humor and chuckled and said oh no ,I said yes I started forgiving you a little sunday , and a tinsy bit mond and a littl more today . He laughed and he told me that well he does not wish for me to have pain or does not want me to be miserable, but he does not want to mask any symtoms or to make me feel to good so that I get up and do things that I know I shouldnt! He wants me to stay with what i have and to be patient and to follow orders to the t and no cheating. No laundry he said no cooking no shopping no riding lawn tractor, he said do u get the picture? I said yeah no life right? My hubby laughed with him as the doc could not believe I would even consider riding lawn tractor, he said vibrations alone would play havic with my nerves. I told him when I feel a bit better I get bored and hate to sit, he said ok now again one more week of being very very good , no swelling no scar tissue, means better chance of good recovery. He was happy with wear we are at, (I am not lol) He says jolts and tingles are normal at this point , incision looked good weird there were two strings of line like sonny one on each end of incision, and a couple stitches on bottom of foot. he rewrapped wich felt like heaven not so tight, and he put air in walker boot cast which also made a big difference and showed me how to do it myself. Said crutches for a bit longer working on bearing a bit more weight a little at a time and next wed. stitches out and maybe will try a shoe, and get rid of crutches around that time to. Told me to call if I have any problems or if any thing feels unusual. So all in all he was happy and me well I am hopeful again! I felt a bit sheepish for telling him I cursed him all weekend but I was angry with him and it really hurt I wanted him to know that. He said one day at a time Tammie just one day at a time, gee you think he is telling me something lol? Poor guy I guess I have tortured him as much as he tortured me the last few months. And now he will see my son tomorrow, poor guy , son has another ingrown toenail with infection it was one his md doc removed once already, so time for the good guys to take a look. Gee he cant get away from our familiy yet. Well all I am tired but relieved and wanted to tell you all how things went as I have recieved so many beautiful letters of encouragement and support and questions. Please I will try to catch up a bit at a time lol as the doc says my foot is calling the shots not ME and to listen to it and do what it says so off i go to elevate and rest for a bit! Love to all and hugs to! Hope you have all had a beautiful sunny day it was gorgeous here so good to get out for a ride.

Laurie R on 9/04/01 at 15:57 (059019)

Dear Tammie , Things sound great for you right now. Thank you so much for the update. You hang in there ,I know you are bord ,but time will go by fast. Your recovery is the most important thing right now . We are all here for you ..Much love ,Laurie

Re: Laurie you are special

Tammie on 9/04/01 at 20:40 (059040)

((((((((((((((( HUGS)))))))))))))))))) to you my special friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will do fine! I smell good guys I got a shower and oh how good that felt best medicine around soap and water lol! It was quick but efficent a little dificult wrapped a trash bag around and taped with duct tape compliments of the hubby who says it is the BEST! I am off to bed soon took my meds like a good child and off to some slumber land I hope as it has been a long day!Hope you are all well and that the pain bug is hiding its ugly head for a bit! Soon you to go to Dr. Laurie right the pain clinic?

Re: Good deal Tammy

BrianG on 9/05/01 at 09:31 (059095)

You know Tammy, your husband is right, duct tape is the best!! I used a trash bag with duct tape, and then another one over the 1st one, again with duct tape. Not a drop of water got through. I'm still not happy with what your doc said about masking the pain, but he's calling the shots. Did you ask him why he told you he'd take care of your pain, when he obviously wasn't planning on helping. Darvocet is so week, it should be an OTC drug. Anyways, the worst is over and you now get a shower every day :*)

BCG

Laurie R on 9/05/01 at 11:37 (059103)

Hello to Brian and Tammie , I with you Brian on the Darvocet ,it is very weak. I think it is even weaker than plain asprin .I took it after one of my stomach surgeries and all it did was make me sick to my stomach .. Their are so many better pain meds..

Tammie as you know I was in about 6 or 7 different hard cast last year. I took showers everyday . Their is this thing called 'SEAL TIGHT' it is a cast and bandage protector . Brown medical makes it . They are about 19.00 , but if your doctor writes you a script for it your insurance company should pay for it . I have about 5 of them here ... They work wonderful and your foot or lower leg stays dry .... They are a God sent . They also have them on the brown medical site I think ..... Just a thought .

I know you are still in pain ,but you sound like you are doing better. Hang in there . You know we are here for you .....

Miss ya ,much love sweet lady ,Laurie

Re: you guys are the best medicine

Tammie on 9/05/01 at 12:24 (059109)

Well everyone , I am feeling pretty chirper, pain is well so so but doing better. I am not the brilliant one but I do like my doc lol I think he does care about me and the hubby thinks he is trying to protect me from myself, and to prove that point let me tell you this, ok today I am feeling a bit better and he was going to my work to get my check and then bank and grocery store , I begged him to let me go to said I wouldnt walk to awful much just to go into the grocery store and to go see my patients for a bit I miss them u know lol I feel new energy that ok now I am going to heal time to think about the life I am going to get back . Ok Now my hubby looked at me and said lady are you crazy did u not understand what the doc told u? He said tammy do you remember how you were crying to me about the pain last night you thought you overdid when you went out to dr, he said no wonder the dr. isnt going to give you anything u are a fool and you will take them and feel better and will be up and busy, hmmmmm I am ashamed of myself I apoligize I feel like the child punished lol. Anyways he is out and said when he gets to the grocery he will call me on cell phone and we can shop together lol what a nut case I am huh, ok got your laughs for the day, I am coming back you know. I am really finding it hard to sit around I hate tv, I am sick of reading and well have admit that phone talking has taking up some time, and I get on putor often as I can, still trying to figure something out to be more comfortable longer here, but then I would really drive you all crazy heheheh! So I found the shower wonderful and exhausting work trying to stand and hold on rail and all I took off the air cast before I showered but think I may try it on with the bag deal next time so I can bear some weight on it. Oh it did stay dry by the way so the duct tape rules!!!! So now how are you friends whats happening in your feet? I feel like a lot has gone by I am working on catching up. Well time to go something is telling me time is up

cindyp on 9/03/01 at 09:45 (058904)

Well i had surgery on 7 June. I wasn't in a cast per set. Bandaged crutches and such until follow up in 3 weeks. Then stiches were out and stayed on crutches for another week. Waiting for soreness and swelling to leave. Then went to cane for another week or two. When all swelling and soreness was gone. I walked and was okay. Still get the occasional twinge and am a little sore on lateral side of foot but relatively okay. So I guess it sorta depends on how well you heel and such. I had a tumor and varicose vein removed as well. good luck and take it easy. do what dr. says and keep foot elevated.

SonnyK on 9/03/01 at 22:49 (058970)

Hang in there Tammie..I had my sugery on August 17 and I am now walking around without crutches in my 'bunion boot' as the nurse called it. I have an appointment to get my stiches out tomorrow. I never had any swelling or drainage. I have the 'piece of fishing line' too (in fact two pieces). I am almost thinking I may have staples in there...looks odd...will ask him what he did exactly when I see him. I had lots of pain but I kept my foot elevated and took the pain pills. He alshad me on muscle relaxers and antibiotics. I don't take anything now and do ocassionally get the sharp pains I used to get before the surgery. The insicion site is still tender to the touch. I didn't put any weight on my foot until a few days ago...it doesn't hurt as much as it feels weird or stiff. I just take my time and limp around the house. I had to get off the crutches because my shoulders and palms of my handswere killing me! Be careful not to use your armpits when you go on the crutches.I was in much pain all the time before the surgery so I hope this was worth it. I lived with not knowing what I had for a year (one Doc told me I had arthritis). I had a positve EMG in July and like I said, surgery on August 17. Right after the surgery, my Ortho told me to try to bear weight 4 days after surgery! I went by my own insticts as to when I felt OK enough to try to bear weight. I am just looking forward to seeing him tomorrow because when he explained things to me after my surgery, I was so out of it, I forgot what he said he did exactly. I didn't expect to be up and around this soon because I have read alot of horror stories here about long recoveries. I feel lucky so far but am taking one day at a time! Good Luck!

Re: Re:Thanks,Cindy and Sonny

Tammie on 9/04/01 at 08:07 (058989)

Hello I hope that you both are doing well it is good to hear from others to sort of see if things are going similar. I feel as tho I have so much into this and being my answer it alone makes me nervous. You understand what i mean ? I guess I did not expect pain I thought a final relief of the demom,and was angry and upset when I still felt pain and some of the old feelings like you foot comes alive . I was looking under the bandages yesterday exploring to why things were pulling and aching, I also found thanks to a mirror lol that I have stitches on the bottom of my foot? I dont know why he never mentioned that? Or maybe he did but I dont remember as I was groggy. My Dr. gave me his famous darvecet, and the mobic I think I had a iv with antibiotics. cant remember as I was rushed when I got there as he got there early and they sped thru getting me prepped, I mean one was putting iv in and anesthisia was asking the norm ??? and the dr. was drawing lines on my foot telling me to lay still and to tell him if that hurt thinking on it it must have been a bit comical, They all did stop when I said I feel like I am going to be sick lol, then they pushed the pen in to sign for the anesthesia, and a shot was put in Iv and thye said hubby give her a kiss and we started leaving that room and I was asleep till I woke in recovery. It was very fast checking in , I am glad tho as I was scared and nervous.But I did not digest much information. The doc called next day and told me to be good and please keep off the foot , only up 5 min at a time and he did not want me doing anything but being a couch potatoe till he seen me today tues. So am hoping he will give me more information also! I think all is ok I feel much better today and hope to feel much better tomorrow and the next day but I think it was all of the support here and the good friends and there wonderful words and cards of support! I would say the pain has eased up somewhat , I thank u for tellling me those jolts u felt and the electrical and tingling I think I was frightened that it did not work, but now thinking just a part of the healing! Thanks for the knowledge, and Sonny the fish line is just like I seem to have on side of my ankle to it looks strange! Take care and best wishes for a good recovery! Let me know how your post op goes! Yours is a long time after your surgery, I would have gone nuts worring hat long my dr. sees you 3 days after, but 4 do to a holiday! Good Luck to u!

CindyF on 9/04/01 at 10:33 (059000)

Hey Tammie...
Let me give you a little peice of advice....DON'T LET YOUT FOOT SWELL!!!
My foot got swollen like a football about 3 weeks after surgery....because I had to go out of town on a family emergency...and I drove 7 hours....and was unable to sit with it up much for 3 days...then the drive back....then a couple of days later I ended up with an infection....not sure if the swelling had anything to do with it...but I feel it did due to lack of blood flow to the area...
So here I am....6 weeks post op...still have the infection which has made a hole in my foot....unable to take the PT until it heals...not knowing how long that will be...unable to bear weight either...
So please....keep the foot up high....as much as possible...even weeks down the line....because my first couple of weeks I hardly had any swelling and the incision was healing well...then after the trip...and the swelling....boom...there was the infection...
I don't know if this had anything to do with it...because that same week I was diagnosed as a diabetic...and Doc thinks it could have been that too...but deep down...I feel it was the swelling...
It took me a week to get my foot back down to it's normal size....
Well..good luck on your healing....hope all goes well...
Oh...and I have those sudden electrical shock feelings in my foot also...which has gotten better as time goes by....
CindyF

tammie on 9/04/01 at 15:46 (059017)

Hi thank you again for the suggestions and advice it really is a nice way to feel a bit clamer to know things are normal and that others feel it to. Better then my doc saying yes mrs t what you are feeling is to be expected you have had surgeryand this is all about healing! Well I in fact did see him today, and it was a pleasant visit on the whole. I had allot of questions and things to tell him, lol I told him I cursed him out and wanted to make him a voodo doll and hoped he had pain like I had then as I was not to happy with him, he had humor and chuckled and said oh no ,I said yes I started forgiving you a little sunday , and a tinsy bit mond and a littl more today . He laughed and he told me that well he does not wish for me to have pain or does not want me to be miserable, but he does not want to mask any symtoms or to make me feel to good so that I get up and do things that I know I shouldnt! He wants me to stay with what i have and to be patient and to follow orders to the t and no cheating. No laundry he said no cooking no shopping no riding lawn tractor, he said do u get the picture? I said yeah no life right? My hubby laughed with him as the doc could not believe I would even consider riding lawn tractor, he said vibrations alone would play havic with my nerves. I told him when I feel a bit better I get bored and hate to sit, he said ok now again one more week of being very very good , no swelling no scar tissue, means better chance of good recovery. He was happy with wear we are at, (I am not lol) He says jolts and tingles are normal at this point , incision looked good weird there were two strings of line like sonny one on each end of incision, and a couple stitches on bottom of foot. he rewrapped wich felt like heaven not so tight, and he put air in walker boot cast which also made a big difference and showed me how to do it myself. Said crutches for a bit longer working on bearing a bit more weight a little at a time and next wed. stitches out and maybe will try a shoe, and get rid of crutches around that time to. Told me to call if I have any problems or if any thing feels unusual. So all in all he was happy and me well I am hopeful again! I felt a bit sheepish for telling him I cursed him all weekend but I was angry with him and it really hurt I wanted him to know that. He said one day at a time Tammie just one day at a time, gee you think he is telling me something lol? Poor guy I guess I have tortured him as much as he tortured me the last few months. And now he will see my son tomorrow, poor guy , son has another ingrown toenail with infection it was one his md doc removed once already, so time for the good guys to take a look. Gee he cant get away from our familiy yet. Well all I am tired but relieved and wanted to tell you all how things went as I have recieved so many beautiful letters of encouragement and support and questions. Please I will try to catch up a bit at a time lol as the doc says my foot is calling the shots not ME and to listen to it and do what it says so off i go to elevate and rest for a bit! Love to all and hugs to! Hope you have all had a beautiful sunny day it was gorgeous here so good to get out for a ride.

Laurie R on 9/04/01 at 15:57 (059019)

Dear Tammie , Things sound great for you right now. Thank you so much for the update. You hang in there ,I know you are bord ,but time will go by fast. Your recovery is the most important thing right now . We are all here for you ..Much love ,Laurie

Re: Laurie you are special

Tammie on 9/04/01 at 20:40 (059040)

((((((((((((((( HUGS)))))))))))))))))) to you my special friend!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will do fine! I smell good guys I got a shower and oh how good that felt best medicine around soap and water lol! It was quick but efficent a little dificult wrapped a trash bag around and taped with duct tape compliments of the hubby who says it is the BEST! I am off to bed soon took my meds like a good child and off to some slumber land I hope as it has been a long day!Hope you are all well and that the pain bug is hiding its ugly head for a bit! Soon you to go to Dr. Laurie right the pain clinic?

BrianG on 9/05/01 at 09:31 (059095)

You know Tammy, your husband is right, duct tape is the best!! I used a trash bag with duct tape, and then another one over the 1st one, again with duct tape. Not a drop of water got through. I'm still not happy with what your doc said about masking the pain, but he's calling the shots. Did you ask him why he told you he'd take care of your pain, when he obviously wasn't planning on helping. Darvocet is so week, it should be an OTC drug. Anyways, the worst is over and you now get a shower every day :*)

BCG

Laurie R on 9/05/01 at 11:37 (059103)

Hello to Brian and Tammie , I with you Brian on the Darvocet ,it is very weak. I think it is even weaker than plain asprin .I took it after one of my stomach surgeries and all it did was make me sick to my stomach .. Their are so many better pain meds..

Tammie as you know I was in about 6 or 7 different hard cast last year. I took showers everyday . Their is this thing called 'SEAL TIGHT' it is a cast and bandage protector . Brown medical makes it . They are about 19.00 , but if your doctor writes you a script for it your insurance company should pay for it . I have about 5 of them here ... They work wonderful and your foot or lower leg stays dry .... They are a God sent . They also have them on the brown medical site I think ..... Just a thought .

I know you are still in pain ,but you sound like you are doing better. Hang in there . You know we are here for you .....

Miss ya ,much love sweet lady ,Laurie

Re: you guys are the best medicine

Tammie on 9/05/01 at 12:24 (059109)

Well everyone , I am feeling pretty chirper, pain is well so so but doing better. I am not the brilliant one but I do like my doc lol I think he does care about me and the hubby thinks he is trying to protect me from myself, and to prove that point let me tell you this, ok today I am feeling a bit better and he was going to my work to get my check and then bank and grocery store , I begged him to let me go to said I wouldnt walk to awful much just to go into the grocery store and to go see my patients for a bit I miss them u know lol I feel new energy that ok now I am going to heal time to think about the life I am going to get back . Ok Now my hubby looked at me and said lady are you crazy did u not understand what the doc told u? He said tammy do you remember how you were crying to me about the pain last night you thought you overdid when you went out to dr, he said no wonder the dr. isnt going to give you anything u are a fool and you will take them and feel better and will be up and busy, hmmmmm I am ashamed of myself I apoligize I feel like the child punished lol. Anyways he is out and said when he gets to the grocery he will call me on cell phone and we can shop together lol what a nut case I am huh, ok got your laughs for the day, I am coming back you know. I am really finding it hard to sit around I hate tv, I am sick of reading and well have admit that phone talking has taking up some time, and I get on putor often as I can, still trying to figure something out to be more comfortable longer here, but then I would really drive you all crazy heheheh! So I found the shower wonderful and exhausting work trying to stand and hold on rail and all I took off the air cast before I showered but think I may try it on with the bag deal next time so I can bear some weight on it. Oh it did stay dry by the way so the duct tape rules!!!! So now how are you friends whats happening in your feet? I feel like a lot has gone by I am working on catching up. Well time to go something is telling me time is up