Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FINALLY some answers!!! Julie and Glenn

Posted by Carmen H on 9/04/01 at 11:23 (059004)

I went to the PT today and guess what she said to me wihtout my even mentioning it? Your ankle dorsiflexion only goes as far as neutral. Your hamstrings are EXTREMELY tight and this is obviously causing your fascia to tighten and strain. She couldn't believe how tight my fascia are......
She also said my pelvis being tilted DOES have something to do with my walk (the ortho and pods basically laughed at me when I sugeested this as part of my problem)causing foot problems and she is looking further into that. She said rolling your foot on a frozen bottle is NOT a good idea. Use a rolling pin or other hard cylinderical object. She has me doing a stretch for my hamstrings, fascia and piriformus. She said she thinks this stretching is REALLY going to make a huge difference and will help my feet heal faster.
I feel sooo much better. She didn't shake her head at my suggestions, she listened to what I said and she confirmed that all of my tight muscles are really aggravating the PF.
Yea hooo!!!! I finally have someone I can hopefully get some relief from!
I am not going back to the Injection happy POD and I am as she suggested 'Starting from scratch with therapy'
She also said icing like I was told to by my pod was NOT good...the muscles wasn't getting a chance to relax.
I got cortizone through that patch method (had that once before on my shoulder and it worked wonders!) and will be going back Thursday. She is also going to do ultrasound therapy as well.
I have 20 visits authorized by insurance and I am following her instructions to the tee so I think this will be the anser to my problems. Plus she said my shoes are perfect for PF. (Danskos and NB 840).
Thought you'd want to know.....!
Glenn I am so glad I read your posts and thanks so much for responding!!!! I am so grateful.

Re: FINALLY some answers!!! Julie and Glenn

tammie on 9/04/01 at 15:21 (059016)

Hi Carmen,
It might be none of my business and maybe I should keep my mouth shut but I would like to tell you a expierance I had, just to warn you to be careful! Not long ago, I had started pt for the tts stuff, it was for pain relief only and just ultrasound and the ionotopics or whatever the spelling is (like a tens unit) I went to pt the day after my pod visit which I had recieved a corisone shot and the script for pt. I gave the pt the script from my doc. which written on it was the above 2 items. She was a wonderful lady and we had some same ideas and she herself said she had the pf, so understood what entailed. Well after her measurements and her going over my body including shoes walking and checking my orthodics which she approved of also, she decided she thought I needed a much different program then what my doctor had ordered for me. This is all true I kid you not , she decided a more agressive stretching program and had me doing wall stretches and did some ankle rotations and toe lifts and some other things to , I questioned her to why she did not do the 2 items that the dr. had wrote down, as she had not. She said well she felt that they were not suited to my condition and that she prefered the agressive (stretching and such) approach and maybe we would add the others as we went along. Ok well I am a enthusiastic but a skeptical person, so I did what she told me but with a bit of aprehension, and stated I wished her to talk with my doctor about some of the things she wanted me to do as they caused pain. Let me tell you this, I suffered with allot of pain that night and for 3 more days after this one pt appointment. I called my doctor which I do not do really I dont, and cryed it was so bad, after questioning me about what types of pain and how I was dealing with it he got very angry, he had not prescribed this treatment and she went against his script! He was very angry, he said she could have done a great deal of damage by what she had me doing and right after the cortisone shot to which he says could have had terrible results to me, thankfully it was only pain and it was gone in a few days, tho I suffered needlessly. Now I will say he called her and gave her a new insight on how his scripts are to be followed and that if she had other thoughts or plans he would like to be consulted first to be sure they were consistant with his dx and treatment. I must say I did return to her tho she was apolegetic and I know she was sorry she and the others never since then have gone against him and said she was wrong and she should have consulted with hm first. Now this is longer then I wanted but I wanted to just tell you this so that tho it may have nothing to do with you at all and maybe your pt will be different and good but PLEASE dont write what your doc says off all together, it might save you some extra pain or maybe a worse injury. I want miracles to and well pt may be good but I also want a doc to back them up and be there if something goes wrong or makes more pain. Carmen you seem like such a good person and I am sorry if I am boring you or being skeptical or putting my 2cents in when unasked, but this message sent warning bells in my ears as when you are sore or not improving we tend to try anything anything to make it better and even write our docs off thinking they dont care or are unfeeling or want to get the knife out. Good luck on whatever you do and I hope the best in healing to u!!! I love reading what you write you are a go getter and you are not a sit back and let others do it kinda person, I like that, that was me to a long time ago. Hugs to u and hope your day is great! I always was under the impression ice was preventive to inflamation, and to eleviate swelling and there fore let the tissues heal better. I might not be right as i am not the brightest crayon in box I am still learning much, I dont understand why ice in a bottle is bad? I do not use that right now as I have a cast boot on but I do use it behind my knee where I was told to .

Julie on 9/04/01 at 16:30 (059021)

That sounds more promising, Carmen: good luck. I know you'll follow directions to a T!

john h on 9/04/01 at 16:38 (059022)

tammie: i clearly remember the doctor who performed the electrical studies on my foot for tts. that was his primary job as an orthopedic surgeon diagnoising tts. he informed me to be very careful with any pt on a foot with true tts. he said you could do some serious damage if someone were to vigorous in working with the foot. he said in most milder cases that conservative treatment would suffice.

Re: Hi Tammie~

Carmen H on 9/04/01 at 17:19 (059024)

Of course your two cents are important!!! I value your opinion as I do everyone on here. I certainly appreciate your concern and think it has validity. However, I would worry more if I had found a POD that had sent me in the right direction before going to the PT. I haven't YET found that POD and the one that was doing the injections was not taking heed when I explained the Hip(Piriformus) problems I had and still was treating. This is directly related to the tilt in my pelvis and the way I walk. He didn't seem to think treating those things in conjunction with the PF was important. I really HATE that you suffered such an ordeal when you went to PT! How terrible for you. I KNOW how defeated you must have felt. I feel very comfortable at this point with the PT's suggestions as she sees a number of PF sufferers every week and I was referred to her by an orthopedic and an exercise Physiologist that feel I would benefit from getting my hamstrings and Piri. straightened out. The iontopics (sp?) was used in my shoulder injury a few years ago and I had relief in two weeks so I know that method works for some things. I honestly don't ahve anything to write off by my doc...I mean he didn't give me anything that was working. I was aggressively icing for 12 weeks and had no relief at all....the reason she said a frozen bottle isn't effective is because the muscle is trying to loosen up and ice keeps it from being inflammed but doesn't loosen it (like warmth or heat would) and allow it to start stretching. MAkes sense to me....I think with increased flexibility in my hamstrings (you wouldn't BELIEVE how tight they are fomr surgery in dec.) and increased length in my ankle dorsiflexion I am on the right track.
The PT was actually the director of the Therapy clinic and she did my evaluation and first couple of treatments. She also recommended the night splint as well which I have already. I will be alternating feet though as they are too expensive to buy another! whew! This condition sucks the wallet dry!
Your input is important Tammie.....I value it very much so pelase don't think other wise. I only wish you had a better experience then you did.
I don't have TTS either so maybe that was part of it for you?
At any rate I wish you GREAT relief and success in your healing. Thank you for your words of wisdom and for sharing your concerns.

Re: Oh I forgot to tell you this too....

Carmen on 9/04/01 at 17:56 (059027)

Tammie~

I am doing ALL seated stretches and no weight bearing at all in this stage of PF. All stretches are to 'feel the stretch' but not to pain. We're trying to get some flexibility back in my ankles....

Glenn X on 9/04/01 at 21:42 (059053)

Carmen: What a great helping of optimism! Sounds like you REALLY found someone to partner with in confidence. Feels good, don't it?

I appreciate the thanks, and you're welcome. You might recall that Dr. Ed is the guy that really turned ME on to this direction. I'd been dinking around with stretching, but he woke me up to the value of flexibility, fitted me with night splints, pointed me at his PT for specifics, and gave me a targeted angle to shoot for. Increased flexibility has been my mission since.

But that's not the whole solution -- at least not for me. Once my fascia's well on its way to healing and I'm mobile again, I've got bones to re-dense, leg and foot muscles to re-strengthen, and Dr. Ed will be doing bio-mechanical interventions to prevent a re-occurence: custom orthotics, shoes, etc. I ain't done 'til I'm dancing again.

You seem way OK for now, but it wouldn't hurt to keep your antenna tuned for a doctor to match the skills of your physical therapist. Having reserves to call on, just in case, can be good.

I'd be interested to know what your PT does with/for you. BEST!!!

Re: Amen to that, Glenn

Julie on 9/05/01 at 01:24 (059064)

EOM

Re: Good deal

BrianG on 9/05/01 at 09:00 (059084)

Hi Carmen,

Glad your starting to turn the corner. Can you tell me about the cortisone patches. Do you put them right on your heel itself? Can you use them more often, than the recommended 3 shots? Good luck

BCG

Re: To Carmen

Barbara TX on 9/05/01 at 09:15 (059090)

What model/kind of Dansko do you have that she liked so much? Could you describe it to us? Thanks! B.

Re: Danskos

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 13:23 (059114)

They are the Dansko clogs with the backing on them so my foot doesn't slip out. I have had three docs look at them and they all said the same thing 'perfect shoes for your condition...great support'.
Here's the link directly to that shoe. I have black and brown and going for the summer colors next year. These are perfect for winter (as I am kinda a nature gal and enjoy clogs and sandals and overalls...no more sandals for me though). check it out! The Walking Co. carries them for $104.00. Worth every penny for me. Hope this helps!

http://www.dansko.com/womens-closed-back.html

Re: Brian-Cortizone patches

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 13:26 (059115)

The patches were put on in my first therapy session with PT. They are little rubber patches (much like a smokers patch I guess) and they ground it on your leg somewhere and administer the cortizone through these little electric currents. It feels like a tiny little itty bitty pricking sensation. Kind of like prickly heat but doesn't hurt a bit. Took about 23 minutes at a low level.
On my shoulder I used to monitor the strength depending on how much prikcling I could stand and I would lay there for 30 minutes resting and relaxing while my shoulder got treated. I swore by that shoulder treatment in conjunction with stretches. I hada rotator cuff injury and 2 weeks later I was 80% better. I hope this has the same effect as that. Stretching is key though!

nancy s. on 9/05/01 at 14:35 (059120)

hi, the technical term for what you're describing is iontophoresis. i had it done during my long pt for pf and other foot tendonitises, and i believe it helped. best of luck to you, i hope it helps you too.
nancy

Re: Thanks Nancy

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 16:21 (059130)

That darn word is always hard to remember! Thanks Nancy!

nancy s. on 9/05/01 at 19:20 (059157)

yes carmen, that word is a winner. i've seen it spelled about 43 different ways in my almost two years on the board. i pity anyone who tries to do a search on it!
nancy
p.s. yes, you are a regular -- say 'oh no' and then celebrate!

BrianG on 9/06/01 at 09:59 (059221)

Yes, thanks. It's not at all what I was thinking. I believe I've had it done while in PT. What haven't I had done !!! :*(

BCG

JudyS on 9/06/01 at 13:36 (059238)

Glenn....I love that! ' I ain't done till I'm dancin' again'. My thoughts exactly!
Perhaps our first annual PF conference (if it ever occurs :) ) should include a first annual PF Ball. Anyone got a dance card?

Barbara TX on 9/06/01 at 16:04 (059266)

Thanks for the link! I think I have the same shoe you do... I got mine in an outlet in Oxford, PA (anyone who is going to visit Dr. Z - the outlet is worth the trip and the drive is beautiful). I didn't know there were so many styles. The selection is limited at the outlet, but the price is right. B.

john h on 9/06/01 at 19:13 (059290)

if you are willing to dance on the bar then you can add me to your dance card. that is where i shine.

john h on 9/07/01 at 11:09 (059372)

i had iontophoresis for tendonitis of the achilles many years ago. i had a large knot on the achilles the size of a walnut and could barely walk. the ultimate cure was very deep and painful massage by the PT followed by whrilpool and stretching. It took about 3 weeks and i was back to running. i mean the physical thearapist who was a very strong guy really put some heavy duty massage on the very tender achilles and i had to bite my towell to keep from yelling (did not want to appear to be a sissy like judy).

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 20:49 (059431)

Judy: Dancin' was one of the horsees that threw me. Figure until I get back on that nag, I ain't conquered my fear. Put me down for something latin.

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 20:56 (059433)

Performer or observor?

JudyS on 9/07/01 at 22:25 (059446)

so sorry, Glenn, no latin here! And no nag either (I hope!). But I'll be happy to make you number one on my dance card for your basic shuffle whenever you say the word!

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:54 (059477)

glenn: i have you down for 'The Last Tango' in Paris with the lovely Julie.

Re: FINALLY some answers!!! Julie and Glenn & dancing

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:56 (059478)

i am still up to the Hokey Pokey! i can put both those feet in now and shake them all about!

Re: Tango

Julie on 9/08/01 at 11:19 (059484)

I will accept the invitation with pleasure, Glenn, but you'll have to teach me tango.

tammie on 9/04/01 at 15:21 (059016)

Hi Carmen,
It might be none of my business and maybe I should keep my mouth shut but I would like to tell you a expierance I had, just to warn you to be careful! Not long ago, I had started pt for the tts stuff, it was for pain relief only and just ultrasound and the ionotopics or whatever the spelling is (like a tens unit) I went to pt the day after my pod visit which I had recieved a corisone shot and the script for pt. I gave the pt the script from my doc. which written on it was the above 2 items. She was a wonderful lady and we had some same ideas and she herself said she had the pf, so understood what entailed. Well after her measurements and her going over my body including shoes walking and checking my orthodics which she approved of also, she decided she thought I needed a much different program then what my doctor had ordered for me. This is all true I kid you not , she decided a more agressive stretching program and had me doing wall stretches and did some ankle rotations and toe lifts and some other things to , I questioned her to why she did not do the 2 items that the dr. had wrote down, as she had not. She said well she felt that they were not suited to my condition and that she prefered the agressive (stretching and such) approach and maybe we would add the others as we went along. Ok well I am a enthusiastic but a skeptical person, so I did what she told me but with a bit of aprehension, and stated I wished her to talk with my doctor about some of the things she wanted me to do as they caused pain. Let me tell you this, I suffered with allot of pain that night and for 3 more days after this one pt appointment. I called my doctor which I do not do really I dont, and cryed it was so bad, after questioning me about what types of pain and how I was dealing with it he got very angry, he had not prescribed this treatment and she went against his script! He was very angry, he said she could have done a great deal of damage by what she had me doing and right after the cortisone shot to which he says could have had terrible results to me, thankfully it was only pain and it was gone in a few days, tho I suffered needlessly. Now I will say he called her and gave her a new insight on how his scripts are to be followed and that if she had other thoughts or plans he would like to be consulted first to be sure they were consistant with his dx and treatment. I must say I did return to her tho she was apolegetic and I know she was sorry she and the others never since then have gone against him and said she was wrong and she should have consulted with hm first. Now this is longer then I wanted but I wanted to just tell you this so that tho it may have nothing to do with you at all and maybe your pt will be different and good but PLEASE dont write what your doc says off all together, it might save you some extra pain or maybe a worse injury. I want miracles to and well pt may be good but I also want a doc to back them up and be there if something goes wrong or makes more pain. Carmen you seem like such a good person and I am sorry if I am boring you or being skeptical or putting my 2cents in when unasked, but this message sent warning bells in my ears as when you are sore or not improving we tend to try anything anything to make it better and even write our docs off thinking they dont care or are unfeeling or want to get the knife out. Good luck on whatever you do and I hope the best in healing to u!!! I love reading what you write you are a go getter and you are not a sit back and let others do it kinda person, I like that, that was me to a long time ago. Hugs to u and hope your day is great! I always was under the impression ice was preventive to inflamation, and to eleviate swelling and there fore let the tissues heal better. I might not be right as i am not the brightest crayon in box I am still learning much, I dont understand why ice in a bottle is bad? I do not use that right now as I have a cast boot on but I do use it behind my knee where I was told to .

Julie on 9/04/01 at 16:30 (059021)

That sounds more promising, Carmen: good luck. I know you'll follow directions to a T!

john h on 9/04/01 at 16:38 (059022)

tammie: i clearly remember the doctor who performed the electrical studies on my foot for tts. that was his primary job as an orthopedic surgeon diagnoising tts. he informed me to be very careful with any pt on a foot with true tts. he said you could do some serious damage if someone were to vigorous in working with the foot. he said in most milder cases that conservative treatment would suffice.

Re: Hi Tammie~

Carmen H on 9/04/01 at 17:19 (059024)

Of course your two cents are important!!! I value your opinion as I do everyone on here. I certainly appreciate your concern and think it has validity. However, I would worry more if I had found a POD that had sent me in the right direction before going to the PT. I haven't YET found that POD and the one that was doing the injections was not taking heed when I explained the Hip(Piriformus) problems I had and still was treating. This is directly related to the tilt in my pelvis and the way I walk. He didn't seem to think treating those things in conjunction with the PF was important. I really HATE that you suffered such an ordeal when you went to PT! How terrible for you. I KNOW how defeated you must have felt. I feel very comfortable at this point with the PT's suggestions as she sees a number of PF sufferers every week and I was referred to her by an orthopedic and an exercise Physiologist that feel I would benefit from getting my hamstrings and Piri. straightened out. The iontopics (sp?) was used in my shoulder injury a few years ago and I had relief in two weeks so I know that method works for some things. I honestly don't ahve anything to write off by my doc...I mean he didn't give me anything that was working. I was aggressively icing for 12 weeks and had no relief at all....the reason she said a frozen bottle isn't effective is because the muscle is trying to loosen up and ice keeps it from being inflammed but doesn't loosen it (like warmth or heat would) and allow it to start stretching. MAkes sense to me....I think with increased flexibility in my hamstrings (you wouldn't BELIEVE how tight they are fomr surgery in dec.) and increased length in my ankle dorsiflexion I am on the right track.
The PT was actually the director of the Therapy clinic and she did my evaluation and first couple of treatments. She also recommended the night splint as well which I have already. I will be alternating feet though as they are too expensive to buy another! whew! This condition sucks the wallet dry!
Your input is important Tammie.....I value it very much so pelase don't think other wise. I only wish you had a better experience then you did.
I don't have TTS either so maybe that was part of it for you?
At any rate I wish you GREAT relief and success in your healing. Thank you for your words of wisdom and for sharing your concerns.

Re: Oh I forgot to tell you this too....

Carmen on 9/04/01 at 17:56 (059027)

Tammie~

I am doing ALL seated stretches and no weight bearing at all in this stage of PF. All stretches are to 'feel the stretch' but not to pain. We're trying to get some flexibility back in my ankles....

Glenn X on 9/04/01 at 21:42 (059053)

Carmen: What a great helping of optimism! Sounds like you REALLY found someone to partner with in confidence. Feels good, don't it?

I appreciate the thanks, and you're welcome. You might recall that Dr. Ed is the guy that really turned ME on to this direction. I'd been dinking around with stretching, but he woke me up to the value of flexibility, fitted me with night splints, pointed me at his PT for specifics, and gave me a targeted angle to shoot for. Increased flexibility has been my mission since.

But that's not the whole solution -- at least not for me. Once my fascia's well on its way to healing and I'm mobile again, I've got bones to re-dense, leg and foot muscles to re-strengthen, and Dr. Ed will be doing bio-mechanical interventions to prevent a re-occurence: custom orthotics, shoes, etc. I ain't done 'til I'm dancing again.

You seem way OK for now, but it wouldn't hurt to keep your antenna tuned for a doctor to match the skills of your physical therapist. Having reserves to call on, just in case, can be good.

I'd be interested to know what your PT does with/for you. BEST!!!

Re: Amen to that, Glenn

Julie on 9/05/01 at 01:24 (059064)

EOM

Re: Good deal

BrianG on 9/05/01 at 09:00 (059084)

Hi Carmen,

Glad your starting to turn the corner. Can you tell me about the cortisone patches. Do you put them right on your heel itself? Can you use them more often, than the recommended 3 shots? Good luck

BCG

Re: To Carmen

Barbara TX on 9/05/01 at 09:15 (059090)

What model/kind of Dansko do you have that she liked so much? Could you describe it to us? Thanks! B.

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 13:23 (059114)

They are the Dansko clogs with the backing on them so my foot doesn't slip out. I have had three docs look at them and they all said the same thing 'perfect shoes for your condition...great support'.
Here's the link directly to that shoe. I have black and brown and going for the summer colors next year. These are perfect for winter (as I am kinda a nature gal and enjoy clogs and sandals and overalls...no more sandals for me though). check it out! The Walking Co. carries them for $104.00. Worth every penny for me. Hope this helps!

http://www.dansko.com/womens-closed-back.html

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 13:26 (059115)

The patches were put on in my first therapy session with PT. They are little rubber patches (much like a smokers patch I guess) and they ground it on your leg somewhere and administer the cortizone through these little electric currents. It feels like a tiny little itty bitty pricking sensation. Kind of like prickly heat but doesn't hurt a bit. Took about 23 minutes at a low level.
On my shoulder I used to monitor the strength depending on how much prikcling I could stand and I would lay there for 30 minutes resting and relaxing while my shoulder got treated. I swore by that shoulder treatment in conjunction with stretches. I hada rotator cuff injury and 2 weeks later I was 80% better. I hope this has the same effect as that. Stretching is key though!

nancy s. on 9/05/01 at 14:35 (059120)

hi, the technical term for what you're describing is iontophoresis. i had it done during my long pt for pf and other foot tendonitises, and i believe it helped. best of luck to you, i hope it helps you too.
nancy

Carmen H on 9/05/01 at 16:21 (059130)

That darn word is always hard to remember! Thanks Nancy!

nancy s. on 9/05/01 at 19:20 (059157)

yes carmen, that word is a winner. i've seen it spelled about 43 different ways in my almost two years on the board. i pity anyone who tries to do a search on it!
nancy
p.s. yes, you are a regular -- say 'oh no' and then celebrate!

BrianG on 9/06/01 at 09:59 (059221)

Yes, thanks. It's not at all what I was thinking. I believe I've had it done while in PT. What haven't I had done !!! :*(

BCG

JudyS on 9/06/01 at 13:36 (059238)

Glenn....I love that! ' I ain't done till I'm dancin' again'. My thoughts exactly!
Perhaps our first annual PF conference (if it ever occurs :) ) should include a first annual PF Ball. Anyone got a dance card?

Barbara TX on 9/06/01 at 16:04 (059266)

Thanks for the link! I think I have the same shoe you do... I got mine in an outlet in Oxford, PA (anyone who is going to visit Dr. Z - the outlet is worth the trip and the drive is beautiful). I didn't know there were so many styles. The selection is limited at the outlet, but the price is right. B.

john h on 9/06/01 at 19:13 (059290)

if you are willing to dance on the bar then you can add me to your dance card. that is where i shine.

john h on 9/07/01 at 11:09 (059372)

i had iontophoresis for tendonitis of the achilles many years ago. i had a large knot on the achilles the size of a walnut and could barely walk. the ultimate cure was very deep and painful massage by the PT followed by whrilpool and stretching. It took about 3 weeks and i was back to running. i mean the physical thearapist who was a very strong guy really put some heavy duty massage on the very tender achilles and i had to bite my towell to keep from yelling (did not want to appear to be a sissy like judy).

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 20:49 (059431)

Judy: Dancin' was one of the horsees that threw me. Figure until I get back on that nag, I ain't conquered my fear. Put me down for something latin.

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 20:56 (059433)

Performer or observor?

JudyS on 9/07/01 at 22:25 (059446)

so sorry, Glenn, no latin here! And no nag either (I hope!). But I'll be happy to make you number one on my dance card for your basic shuffle whenever you say the word!

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:54 (059477)

glenn: i have you down for 'The Last Tango' in Paris with the lovely Julie.

Re: FINALLY some answers!!! Julie and Glenn & dancing

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:56 (059478)

i am still up to the Hokey Pokey! i can put both those feet in now and shake them all about!

Re: Tango

Julie on 9/08/01 at 11:19 (059484)

I will accept the invitation with pleasure, Glenn, but you'll have to teach me tango.