Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

still having pain

Posted by Pamela F on 9/05/01 at 17:31 (059138)

I had PF release with removal of a heel spur on 06/19/01. Since that time, the surgical site has healed nicely, & I have had physical therapy. My problem is the pain that I still have. The pain is most severe after physical therapy, and after I walk for any length of time. The pain goes from my heel up the medial side of my ankle, and also up the lateral side of my foot. Shouldn't the pain be gone, and shouldn't I be able to walk long distances/times by now? Has anyone experienced this? What should I do now? Or is this normal? Thank You.

Re: still having pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/01 at 18:44 (059152)

The ups and downs of heel spur surgical pain can be very scarely and disappointing to the patients. IT is important to know that this is just how much time it takes for the muscles, bones etc to heal. Rest., No bare feet and eliminating long period of time on your feet is very important.
stretching is very important during this time fram

Re: still having pain--need info

Pamela F on 9/07/01 at 09:45 (059355)

I went to the Doctor yesterday, and he stated that I now have lateral column syndrome. He stated that I should try to walk as much as possible until I start to get pain (not discomfort). He also stated that I should be able to return to work in a couple of weeks.(I am on my feet walking from 8 to 16 hours a day at work) He wants me to wear an athletic shoes. This all seems different from what I have been reading. Am I missing something? I can hardly walk for 30 minutes. My doctor stated that exercise and warm epsom soaks are the best cure for this. I really feel that he is not being realistic about recovery. thank you

Re: still having pain

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/05/01 at 18:44 (059152)

The ups and downs of heel spur surgical pain can be very scarely and disappointing to the patients. IT is important to know that this is just how much time it takes for the muscles, bones etc to heal. Rest., No bare feet and eliminating long period of time on your feet is very important.
stretching is very important during this time fram

Re: still having pain--need info

Pamela F on 9/07/01 at 09:45 (059355)

I went to the Doctor yesterday, and he stated that I now have lateral column syndrome. He stated that I should try to walk as much as possible until I start to get pain (not discomfort). He also stated that I should be able to return to work in a couple of weeks.(I am on my feet walking from 8 to 16 hours a day at work) He wants me to wear an athletic shoes. This all seems different from what I have been reading. Am I missing something? I can hardly walk for 30 minutes. My doctor stated that exercise and warm epsom soaks are the best cure for this. I really feel that he is not being realistic about recovery. thank you