Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

which is worse plantar fascitis or tibialis posterior tendonitis?

Posted by sandy hendry on 9/05/01 at 22:13 (059175)

Hi, I seem to be facing a choice with my orthotics. Wear them and get posterior tibial pain or don't wear them and get more plantar fascitis pain. Is one of these a more serious problem than the other? I'm getting better after ditching hard plastic orthotics for softer less corrective ones cos I don't really have flat feet but maybe I should just wear none and try to battle with PF. What do you think? Try with no orthotics again?

Re: which is worse plantar fascitis or tibialis posterior tendonitis?

Julie on 9/06/01 at 05:38 (059194)

Sandy, that's not a very good choice to be faced with! If your orthotics are causing you any kind of pain, it means they need adjustment, so take them back to whoever prescribed them and ask him or her to work on them until they're right.

While that's being done, stick with Birks if you have them and like them, or a similar supportive shoe. But don't give up on them all together. If you need them for PF, you should have them. But they need to be right - i.e. make you better, not worse.

Richard, C.Ped on 9/06/01 at 08:19 (059202)

I would suggest taking them back to whoever made them or dispensed them. They need to watch you walk and stand with and without the orthtotics. Something is not right.
Richard

JudyS on 9/06/01 at 14:38 (059246)

Sandy, I have the very same issue you've described. I've decided that my next experiment is to try a good pair of New Balance running shoes without the orthotics and see how that goes. The NB are highly recommended here and the only reason I've not yet tried them is my concern that they may have too much motion-control for my high arches. Oh well, what's another $80.00 in the great PF footwear search!

sandy hendry on 9/06/01 at 21:53 (059323)

What sort of adjustment would they do. Less arch support? Less posting at the front? I threw out custom-fitted plastic ones cos they were too much and feel I am getting better now I have less aggressive soft ones but don't know how they would adjust these foam 'Formthotics' aside from taking out a wooly front foot posting they have. I like these orthotics a lot better than the custom-made plastic ones but they come with own mild version of what the old ones gave me on inside of ankles. I may experiment with just using the motion control asics I bought without any orthotic (by the way I agree motion control trainers make a big difference). Judy....let me know what you find. I've learned a lot from experiences of other people this site I think and am finally making a bit of progress after 6 months of pain walking. Let me check out this Birkenstock idea. Thanks again.

Julie on 9/07/01 at 03:30 (059337)

Sandy, if you haven't tried Birkenstocks, that would be a good move. If they agree with your feet, they could provide an answer. But I think you ought to persevere with the pedorthist who made your orthotics, too: you'd then have all your bases covered.

In case you haven't been reading the posts about buying Birkenstocks: make sure you get fitted properly first, in a store that stocks a good range of them. Many of us swear by the Arizonas, the original, classic sandal, but they make hundreds of other styles now.

(And so BG Cped doesn't bite my head off - BUY your first pair from the store that has taken the time and trouble to fit you. After that, you may want to buy them on line, cheaper.)

Beverly on 9/08/01 at 20:18 (059554)

Sandy,

I also have PF with PTT. It took several trys with orthodics (various soft versions), but my current set has helped my PTT more than any other problem I have. One thing I've learned is that it took both the right orthodics, right adjustment, and the right shoes. I wear Asics. (MC Plus). I've found they give me more support than other athletic shoes. IT is extremely frustrating to keep hunting down the right combination...
I wore Birks the first year of my PF. They helped my PF but didn't help my ankles at all. In the end, I had to give them up and switch to orthodics.
I do miss them dearly, and hope to wear them again occassionally.
Best luck,
Beverly

shelley f on 10/30/01 at 13:47 (063832)

I have chronic plantar fascitis and tibialis posterior tendonitis. The pf does not seem to be bothering me at this time . The ptt is a killer right now and I can't find any shoes that are comfortable. Tennis shoes are the worst for me. ANy suggestions? Desperate

Julie on 9/06/01 at 05:38 (059194)

Sandy, that's not a very good choice to be faced with! If your orthotics are causing you any kind of pain, it means they need adjustment, so take them back to whoever prescribed them and ask him or her to work on them until they're right.

While that's being done, stick with Birks if you have them and like them, or a similar supportive shoe. But don't give up on them all together. If you need them for PF, you should have them. But they need to be right - i.e. make you better, not worse.

Richard, C.Ped on 9/06/01 at 08:19 (059202)

I would suggest taking them back to whoever made them or dispensed them. They need to watch you walk and stand with and without the orthtotics. Something is not right.
Richard

JudyS on 9/06/01 at 14:38 (059246)

Sandy, I have the very same issue you've described. I've decided that my next experiment is to try a good pair of New Balance running shoes without the orthotics and see how that goes. The NB are highly recommended here and the only reason I've not yet tried them is my concern that they may have too much motion-control for my high arches. Oh well, what's another $80.00 in the great PF footwear search!

sandy hendry on 9/06/01 at 21:53 (059323)

What sort of adjustment would they do. Less arch support? Less posting at the front? I threw out custom-fitted plastic ones cos they were too much and feel I am getting better now I have less aggressive soft ones but don't know how they would adjust these foam 'Formthotics' aside from taking out a wooly front foot posting they have. I like these orthotics a lot better than the custom-made plastic ones but they come with own mild version of what the old ones gave me on inside of ankles. I may experiment with just using the motion control asics I bought without any orthotic (by the way I agree motion control trainers make a big difference). Judy....let me know what you find. I've learned a lot from experiences of other people this site I think and am finally making a bit of progress after 6 months of pain walking. Let me check out this Birkenstock idea. Thanks again.

Julie on 9/07/01 at 03:30 (059337)

Sandy, if you haven't tried Birkenstocks, that would be a good move. If they agree with your feet, they could provide an answer. But I think you ought to persevere with the pedorthist who made your orthotics, too: you'd then have all your bases covered.

In case you haven't been reading the posts about buying Birkenstocks: make sure you get fitted properly first, in a store that stocks a good range of them. Many of us swear by the Arizonas, the original, classic sandal, but they make hundreds of other styles now.

(And so BG Cped doesn't bite my head off - BUY your first pair from the store that has taken the time and trouble to fit you. After that, you may want to buy them on line, cheaper.)

Beverly on 9/08/01 at 20:18 (059554)

Sandy,

I also have PF with PTT. It took several trys with orthodics (various soft versions), but my current set has helped my PTT more than any other problem I have. One thing I've learned is that it took both the right orthodics, right adjustment, and the right shoes. I wear Asics. (MC Plus). I've found they give me more support than other athletic shoes. IT is extremely frustrating to keep hunting down the right combination...
I wore Birks the first year of my PF. They helped my PF but didn't help my ankles at all. In the end, I had to give them up and switch to orthodics.
I do miss them dearly, and hope to wear them again occassionally.
Best luck,
Beverly

shelley f on 10/30/01 at 13:47 (063832)

I have chronic plantar fascitis and tibialis posterior tendonitis. The pf does not seem to be bothering me at this time . The ptt is a killer right now and I can't find any shoes that are comfortable. Tennis shoes are the worst for me. ANy suggestions? Desperate