Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Surgery Decision

Posted by Ami P. on 9/06/01 at 07:18 (059198)

I have had constant problems with a heel spur for about a year now. I have had all the regular therapies including, can-walker, anti-inflamatory drugs, shots, special shoe inserts, etc. I am still suffering with pain. I am now waking in the night with throbbing pain in my heel and am having problem with my knee and back. I teach in an elementary school and am on my feet all day. I have to get some relief, somehow. My problem is deciding whether or not to have surgery and which surgery. My podiatrist is not encouraging me one way or the other. He has explained that there will be a lengthy recovery period, regardless of the type of surgery I choose.

Can someone just give me another personal opinion?

Re: Surgery Decision

BrianG on 9/06/01 at 10:43 (059227)

Hi Ami,

I had EPF (scope) surgery for my PF. It was a failure, but luckily I do not feel I was harmed. Some people say you can return to work sooner with this type of surgery. I'd get a second opinion, maybe from an Ortho doc. Good luck

BCG

Tammie on 9/06/01 at 13:20 (059232)

Hello,
I am so sorry you are having so much pain! It is very frustrating to say the least! I have had the min incision with pf release and spur removal. I understand your frustration and how you feel that you have tried everything, it seems true the saying if your feet hurt everything hurts. Have you read the heel book here yet it has a lot of information in it, have you taped? And have you checked into the ESWT treatment yet? There is a area here to read about that to. Several have went that route which is not actually a cutting surgery, and has great results for some. I know this is a big choice for you and most likly you feel overwelmed with it all. Please read all that you can on each option of treatment and talk to your dr. and if you want or have not yet get a nothers opinion. Surgery is long time healing and can take not only weeks and more weeks lol may take up to 6 mnths to a year and may not have the results you had hoped for and could be worse then before. I think that it is a choice for anyone but you must look and find all you can and be ready to acept the risks. I had it done in April it seemed like a long road, I am still off work but I must add I have had other problems with it and am recovering now from the tts surgery, so would not fair of me to say just how long it was for recovery! Whatever you choose be well informed! I hope that you can find some knowledge here as there are many people and Dr.s here who really care and try to give help! It is also a nice comforting place to turn to where people like you have gone thru and are still going thru the struggles to heal thy feet! Along with living with the emotional turmoil this brings with it. I would like to offer you a friendship hug and to wish you great sucsess in your journy! Please feel free to ask questions or just post at how you are doing and welcome!!!(((((((hugs )))))))))

Barbara TX on 9/06/01 at 16:15 (059270)

I chose Minimal Insicion Surgery (MIS). I believe that two of the doctors on the board (Zuckerman and Davis) do it. I only had the middle part of the pf released with complete spur removal. The nice thing about MIS is that the scar is amazingly small (no stitches). The insicion is located dead center in the middle of the heel. Some docors think that going in through the side puts more structures and nerves in the heel at risk (scar tissue, nerve entrapment, etc.). The bottom of the heel is the most naturally accessible spot, and if your doctor can work without an insertable scope, you only have one tiny hole. See a video of this procedure on the video page of heelspurs.com. Expect a 6 mo. or more recovery from this procedure as well. There is no getting off easy with surgery, I'm afraid. Good luck as you make your decision. Take your time and read lots! All the best, B.

Ami P. on 9/06/01 at 17:16 (059278)

Thank you. It is comforting to know that there are others that can relate to this pain. My family has been very supportive, but I know they can't quite understand. I will continue to investigate all procedures. I have another question concerning the TTS. My podiatrist wants me to have a nerve conduction study done because I am experiencing some numbness and tenderness. Have you had that done and did it tell you anything?

Tammie on 9/06/01 at 20:58 (059306)

Yes familiy is a great help, but comes a time when it seems they to cannot understand how something that sounds simple can take so awful long to heal, they say gee heart surgery has quicker healing and so do broken bones and then you hear about well I had the worse surgery case you could have and I was healed quicker then you, it gets to be sad. Not all people take as long to heal some are healed quite quicker my doc says it is like 8 to 12 weeks for the basic healing then comes the long haul which can take up to a year to finish. I did not have the nerve test done he felt and the other dr. felt they had enough with the symptoms and the diagnosing shot in ankle area to do something about it as I was having a wicked time. Now I believe that I most likly should have had that test and maybe others but you see when you are in so much pain for so long sometimes you just give up and give in when there is any option to rid that pain. I felt confident in my Dr. I think he is good,had the pain given me some break I may have searched more and maybe had those tests. I was weak and listened to my familiy and my doctors and well myself to. I think if you can check it all out , there are many more knowledgable people here then me they can give you allot more help and info then I can . You can post under the ask dr. board you might get more input! Surgery should never be taken lightly or jumped into quickly as you know what they say, once it is cut you cant go back always. I fear those words . I am hoping I made the right decision in my case I am a week post op from the tts surgery today. And I wonder each day and worry and just pray that I made the right choice! Good luck it is a tough search! Keep posting ask all you can there are many areas for you to post under look around do some searches here on some of your questions. I spent hours and hours reading and reading.And still was

Re: Healing times

Julie on 9/07/01 at 03:22 (059336)

Tammie, tell your family that broken bones DO often heal faster than soft tissues, bruised muscles, ligaments and nerves. A sprained ankle can be worse, with longer-lasting effects, than a simple fracture. A frozen shoulder is a lot worse than a broken arm.

And if they think heart surgery really does 'heal faster', they ought to talk to someone who has had it. Sure, anyone who has had a bypass usually feels better immediately, but most will have very sore legs (where the veins have been taken from) for a long long time after the surgery.

When anyone has had foot surgery, the underlying tissues take a lot longer to heal than the incision site. And the foot is the only part of the body that has to bear the whole weight of the body, which does tend to prolong healing (surprise surprise!)

Re: Healing times/we know that

Tammie on 9/07/01 at 08:43 (059352)

Julie You are right I am sure . It is very hard to tell someone who does not understand or has never had a foot injury or something that took eons to heal! I joke around and just tell them well I guess I am just special , in the fact I get to enjoy the pain a bit longer then you did.Hehehe nasty I am sometimes, like anyone would want to take there time healing geeze do they think people like to hurt or not be able to do what they want . I get pretty good at ignoring ,I guess it comes from having my children they are good teachers at time hehehehe! No just joking, I love my familiy and friends and because of my love I overlook there insensitiveness at times ,and remember the things that makes them who they are to me! And then I remember to thank the good Lord for making us all unique!

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 21:13 (059436)

I've known a number of poor souls who've suffered chronic hurts for years: arthritis, weakened hearts, stuffed arteries, bad backs, trick knees, weak ankles . . . but their symptoms are less obvious, and so they probably get fewer raised eyebrows and redundant questions. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade places with any of 'em. I see this (PF) eventually going away completely.

Re: More thought

Glenn X on 9/08/01 at 09:04 (059461)

This is an incomplete (and insensitive) thought. I actually had a trick knee 30 years ago, and a weak (baDly strained) ankle 20 years ago. Eventually recovered completely from both, though at the time seriously wondered if I ever would. And I'll bet many of the folks I described wouldn't trade places with me either. The devil you know and all.

I saw a special on Discovery a couple of months ago showing some of the body's amazing repair tools. I learned there are 'bone scrubbers' of a sort that continue shaping and re-fining bone cells until they get 'em right. In effect, broken bones continue to heal up to a year or more, long after we've regained their full function. I'd be surprised if the body's other tissues didn't behave similarly, continuing the healing process for as long as it takes to get things right.

And as we recover and extend our range of activity, provided we do so in a patient, measured, sensible manner (avoiding serious re-injury) there seems no reason why we shouldn't be able to fully repair, and return to activities we once enjoyed . . . subject to whatever TRUE aging-related wear&tear limitations that apply. (I avoid learning about these).

Tammie on 9/08/01 at 09:42 (059468)

Oh you are so right Glenn, I have also seem many of thease poor souls also as I work in geriatrics they be elderly but they do suffer great pains! I also have a hubby with Rhum. Arthritis and have seen him suffer and keep on going so I would think he would be more intuned to the longer effect but then I guess we sometimes are overwelmed in our own pains that we cannot deal with anothers! My hubby really is a great guy considering all he has been thru and he is young yet and has much he would like to do but deals with his limitations when they are surfaced.I try never to cmpare anyones pain ans people precieve pain in many ways not only the phisical side there are many other sides to the pain felt. I have learned a lot in the nursing area tho I am not a nurse . Caring for the elderly has taught me so very much that I thank the good lord each day for giving me the gift of doing my type of work.I am a lucky one as I love my job not all can say that. I know that going thru what little pains and aches and the forced resting time has shown me what allot of my people have been thru and are facing in there last days so will carry this back with me with a new and invigored energy! I sometimes think some of the pain I feel is from the fact I cannot be productive, I feel useless as my stupid foot will not allow me to help with where I am needed, but then we have been thru this and I am doing much better as I have new hope!!!! Glenn are you able to work with your feet? And may I ask do you love your job ? It is quite interesting to how people deal with the inflictions of there pain. I can give up my exercise or my joy of walking and playing in the leaves this fall and being like a nut but I am not willing to give up my job yet! It is like a runner who has to give up there love.Im going back I have not come this far to quit, or acept any other possibilities!!! Hehehe No way.You have a lot of good knowledge I like to read what you post it is good to see many people here with so much to offer I only hope thatI can give back a smidgen of what i have been given!

Tammie on 9/08/01 at 10:17 (059470)

But then if you asked them would they trade there illness with anyone else , most would say no I would not want to put anyone thru what i am going thru! Most people are that way think about it, I think that in pain there are many levels not just the physical side there are other areas to and another important one would be the emotional side , I kinda see where this is left out in treatments of most illness, they see the physical side but forget to treat the other pain which may interfere with the healing side of physical .Especially with any long term pain in any thing Like this There was a elderly fellow that broke his hip badly and had to have a hip replacement, he would cry when he was in his room I would try to talk to him about it and asked is your hip hurting anre u having pain he would say yes so he would get a pain shot but still he cryed in pain. Would try to ask can you tell me about it he would say angry NO said I am having pain. I would say ok is something bothering you or would you like me to leave, he would say I just want to go home,so we would talk about it and do u know what the mans real pain was? His pain was he had a cat at home that he loved and was worried it was missing him and his worry was would he be able to ever return to his home. Him being older now he was in his early 60 so would not consider him elderly but in his mind he seen himself never returning to his home and only at the age of 60. We had many good chats after that and talked with freinds to sneak his cat in for a visit , and do u know this man made a remarkable recovery and with allot less pain and seemed to ask allot less for pain meds. But how often are we to busy to address thease issues, and to look for reasons other then the physical that we may see. I have done alot of thinking and reading since I have been home and feel renewed energy and like I have gotton alot of good knowledge here, u see I do not retain things well I wanted to be a nurse but I just am not good at retaining knowledge unless I use it all the time, I am a person that is hands on and from the heart lol I often worry that I have some other memory desease lol. But I may not retain the medical termenology and such but from the emotional level of what you have taught me here I took to heart and it will work and help others with I hope.What I am trying to say badly of course is I have a hard time with the learning of the physical and terminology of a injury or illness but I can do well with the heart and the emotional side of it,I think that is what i am trying to spit out lol.I do hope and as I read back on some of my posts I feel angry at myself and embarresed, as I do sound like a big whiny baby who feels like I am the only dumped on sort ('') I am not that way really , I had the emotional issue of not knowing and understanding of what was happening and the lenghth of time involved and for the people who seen thru seen the issue that really upset me , the worry of will I be able to return to my love no not running or even playing , but still to me it is like that for me I relate it to that I want to just know that someday sometime I will be able to do what i love best,which is my work to u but to me it is my fun my extened life so to speak. So if I come out as being forever whiny lol yes I suppose I have been the pf thing stole my (candy) so to speak and I like so many of you am trying hard to deal with that and get around things with fixing the physical problem also. Gosh this is longer then intended as usual, can you tell I am really bored and lonely I am sorry really I am it is hard sitting I hate it and the mind works in overdrive as noone to listen to me, so on this note off I go to bother someone else! Thanks for posts that made me think again. As I thought you might be refering to me that I should be grateful for not having a serious illness, Believe me I am each day I thank the lord for protecting me and giving me such a long life with few illnesses , as I have been healthy never needing a dr. till this besides the normal female stuff (') I am grateful and am learning about how it is really to be a patient . Yuck dont like it at all.

Re: Thanks Tammie -- You help more than you realize.

Glenn X on 9/08/01 at 13:13 (059496)

Tammie: I find your posts illuminating! I don't often respond to them becauseI'd get repetitive with my thanks.

As you can tell from my own focus I'm sorta pre-occupied with 'problem-solving' my recovery. For me, that seems to call on way more left-brain activity: Plans, measures, steps, re-evaluations. It's stuff that works for me, but is pretty two-dimensional.

You help me stay plugged into the emotional path to recovery. Your simple story about the man worried about his cat . . .

'His pain was he had a cat at home that he loved and was worried it was missing him and his worry was would he be able to ever return to his home.'

Absolutely poetic! And where you continue:

'We had many good chats after that and talked with friends to sneak his cat in for a visit , and do u know this man made a remarkable recovery and with allot less pain and seemed to ask allot less for pain meds.'

This is some of the best treatment advice I've read on heelspurs.

I'm often asked to rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10. And I'm always stumped for an answer. Your cat story helps me understand why. The most relevant pain I feel is not in my feet.

Perhaps too my path to fuller recovery lies some four feet above my soles. In the days ahead I'll 'problem-solve' there a bunch more.

I love my work, and have been able to continue with it throughout, though I spend more time at my desk than I would like. I hope before too long you are able to completely return to what you love best. The world certainly needs more thoughtful, caring care-givers such as yourself.

Re: Thanks Glenn

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 17:18 (059652)

Thank u! You are very sweet and made me feel better! Thank u and I do hope that u will get thru all of your areas pf healing! It is sure a test of several different levels for each of us! Continued sucess with searching for your answers! Thank u again. Gosh you write things nice lol hm maybe I should work on this for my next project.

Paula G. on 9/12/01 at 07:58 (059948)

Ami, I was where you are. I decided I really did not have a lot to lose at this point and I opted for the surgery, which I am having in two days.
My doctor told me worst case scenerio also. I don't think they want you to be too optimistic just in case...I have had this for two years now and done just about every treatment that there is, and I have done all I can do. There are many times God chooses to use doctors and surgery as a means of healing. I choose to use the knowledge my doctor has and go for it. If this is a success, I am planning the other foot done in about a year, at least.
Whatever you decide, decide for yourself not what has or has not worked for someone else.

patricia h on 10/13/01 at 12:10 (062920)

Hi, I am scheduled to have pf surgery day after tomorrow. I have tried everything under the sun to relieve my foot pain. I have lived with this for about 2 years. I can endure no more. An amputation at this point would be welcomed. If there is anyone out there who has had a successful foot surgery, please write. I have heard so much negative that I am thinking of calling off the surgery. If I don't hear some positives re: this surgery, I may opt to not do it. I have had many frustrating situations in my live of 47 years, but this is so...........hard to live with. I am used to holding two jobs and being a very physically active person.

BrianG on 9/06/01 at 10:43 (059227)

Hi Ami,

I had EPF (scope) surgery for my PF. It was a failure, but luckily I do not feel I was harmed. Some people say you can return to work sooner with this type of surgery. I'd get a second opinion, maybe from an Ortho doc. Good luck

BCG

Tammie on 9/06/01 at 13:20 (059232)

Hello,
I am so sorry you are having so much pain! It is very frustrating to say the least! I have had the min incision with pf release and spur removal. I understand your frustration and how you feel that you have tried everything, it seems true the saying if your feet hurt everything hurts. Have you read the heel book here yet it has a lot of information in it, have you taped? And have you checked into the ESWT treatment yet? There is a area here to read about that to. Several have went that route which is not actually a cutting surgery, and has great results for some. I know this is a big choice for you and most likly you feel overwelmed with it all. Please read all that you can on each option of treatment and talk to your dr. and if you want or have not yet get a nothers opinion. Surgery is long time healing and can take not only weeks and more weeks lol may take up to 6 mnths to a year and may not have the results you had hoped for and could be worse then before. I think that it is a choice for anyone but you must look and find all you can and be ready to acept the risks. I had it done in April it seemed like a long road, I am still off work but I must add I have had other problems with it and am recovering now from the tts surgery, so would not fair of me to say just how long it was for recovery! Whatever you choose be well informed! I hope that you can find some knowledge here as there are many people and Dr.s here who really care and try to give help! It is also a nice comforting place to turn to where people like you have gone thru and are still going thru the struggles to heal thy feet! Along with living with the emotional turmoil this brings with it. I would like to offer you a friendship hug and to wish you great sucsess in your journy! Please feel free to ask questions or just post at how you are doing and welcome!!!(((((((hugs )))))))))

Barbara TX on 9/06/01 at 16:15 (059270)

I chose Minimal Insicion Surgery (MIS). I believe that two of the doctors on the board (Zuckerman and Davis) do it. I only had the middle part of the pf released with complete spur removal. The nice thing about MIS is that the scar is amazingly small (no stitches). The insicion is located dead center in the middle of the heel. Some docors think that going in through the side puts more structures and nerves in the heel at risk (scar tissue, nerve entrapment, etc.). The bottom of the heel is the most naturally accessible spot, and if your doctor can work without an insertable scope, you only have one tiny hole. See a video of this procedure on the video page of heelspurs.com. Expect a 6 mo. or more recovery from this procedure as well. There is no getting off easy with surgery, I'm afraid. Good luck as you make your decision. Take your time and read lots! All the best, B.

Ami P. on 9/06/01 at 17:16 (059278)

Thank you. It is comforting to know that there are others that can relate to this pain. My family has been very supportive, but I know they can't quite understand. I will continue to investigate all procedures. I have another question concerning the TTS. My podiatrist wants me to have a nerve conduction study done because I am experiencing some numbness and tenderness. Have you had that done and did it tell you anything?

Tammie on 9/06/01 at 20:58 (059306)

Yes familiy is a great help, but comes a time when it seems they to cannot understand how something that sounds simple can take so awful long to heal, they say gee heart surgery has quicker healing and so do broken bones and then you hear about well I had the worse surgery case you could have and I was healed quicker then you, it gets to be sad. Not all people take as long to heal some are healed quite quicker my doc says it is like 8 to 12 weeks for the basic healing then comes the long haul which can take up to a year to finish. I did not have the nerve test done he felt and the other dr. felt they had enough with the symptoms and the diagnosing shot in ankle area to do something about it as I was having a wicked time. Now I believe that I most likly should have had that test and maybe others but you see when you are in so much pain for so long sometimes you just give up and give in when there is any option to rid that pain. I felt confident in my Dr. I think he is good,had the pain given me some break I may have searched more and maybe had those tests. I was weak and listened to my familiy and my doctors and well myself to. I think if you can check it all out , there are many more knowledgable people here then me they can give you allot more help and info then I can . You can post under the ask dr. board you might get more input! Surgery should never be taken lightly or jumped into quickly as you know what they say, once it is cut you cant go back always. I fear those words . I am hoping I made the right decision in my case I am a week post op from the tts surgery today. And I wonder each day and worry and just pray that I made the right choice! Good luck it is a tough search! Keep posting ask all you can there are many areas for you to post under look around do some searches here on some of your questions. I spent hours and hours reading and reading.And still was

Re: Healing times

Julie on 9/07/01 at 03:22 (059336)

Tammie, tell your family that broken bones DO often heal faster than soft tissues, bruised muscles, ligaments and nerves. A sprained ankle can be worse, with longer-lasting effects, than a simple fracture. A frozen shoulder is a lot worse than a broken arm.

And if they think heart surgery really does 'heal faster', they ought to talk to someone who has had it. Sure, anyone who has had a bypass usually feels better immediately, but most will have very sore legs (where the veins have been taken from) for a long long time after the surgery.

When anyone has had foot surgery, the underlying tissues take a lot longer to heal than the incision site. And the foot is the only part of the body that has to bear the whole weight of the body, which does tend to prolong healing (surprise surprise!)

Tammie on 9/07/01 at 08:43 (059352)

Julie You are right I am sure . It is very hard to tell someone who does not understand or has never had a foot injury or something that took eons to heal! I joke around and just tell them well I guess I am just special , in the fact I get to enjoy the pain a bit longer then you did.Hehehe nasty I am sometimes, like anyone would want to take there time healing geeze do they think people like to hurt or not be able to do what they want . I get pretty good at ignoring ,I guess it comes from having my children they are good teachers at time hehehehe! No just joking, I love my familiy and friends and because of my love I overlook there insensitiveness at times ,and remember the things that makes them who they are to me! And then I remember to thank the good Lord for making us all unique!

Glenn X on 9/07/01 at 21:13 (059436)

I've known a number of poor souls who've suffered chronic hurts for years: arthritis, weakened hearts, stuffed arteries, bad backs, trick knees, weak ankles . . . but their symptoms are less obvious, and so they probably get fewer raised eyebrows and redundant questions. Nonetheless, I wouldn't trade places with any of 'em. I see this (PF) eventually going away completely.

Glenn X on 9/08/01 at 09:04 (059461)

This is an incomplete (and insensitive) thought. I actually had a trick knee 30 years ago, and a weak (baDly strained) ankle 20 years ago. Eventually recovered completely from both, though at the time seriously wondered if I ever would. And I'll bet many of the folks I described wouldn't trade places with me either. The devil you know and all.

I saw a special on Discovery a couple of months ago showing some of the body's amazing repair tools. I learned there are 'bone scrubbers' of a sort that continue shaping and re-fining bone cells until they get 'em right. In effect, broken bones continue to heal up to a year or more, long after we've regained their full function. I'd be surprised if the body's other tissues didn't behave similarly, continuing the healing process for as long as it takes to get things right.

And as we recover and extend our range of activity, provided we do so in a patient, measured, sensible manner (avoiding serious re-injury) there seems no reason why we shouldn't be able to fully repair, and return to activities we once enjoyed . . . subject to whatever TRUE aging-related wear&tear limitations that apply. (I avoid learning about these).

Tammie on 9/08/01 at 09:42 (059468)

Oh you are so right Glenn, I have also seem many of thease poor souls also as I work in geriatrics they be elderly but they do suffer great pains! I also have a hubby with Rhum. Arthritis and have seen him suffer and keep on going so I would think he would be more intuned to the longer effect but then I guess we sometimes are overwelmed in our own pains that we cannot deal with anothers! My hubby really is a great guy considering all he has been thru and he is young yet and has much he would like to do but deals with his limitations when they are surfaced.I try never to cmpare anyones pain ans people precieve pain in many ways not only the phisical side there are many other sides to the pain felt. I have learned a lot in the nursing area tho I am not a nurse . Caring for the elderly has taught me so very much that I thank the good lord each day for giving me the gift of doing my type of work.I am a lucky one as I love my job not all can say that. I know that going thru what little pains and aches and the forced resting time has shown me what allot of my people have been thru and are facing in there last days so will carry this back with me with a new and invigored energy! I sometimes think some of the pain I feel is from the fact I cannot be productive, I feel useless as my stupid foot will not allow me to help with where I am needed, but then we have been thru this and I am doing much better as I have new hope!!!! Glenn are you able to work with your feet? And may I ask do you love your job ? It is quite interesting to how people deal with the inflictions of there pain. I can give up my exercise or my joy of walking and playing in the leaves this fall and being like a nut but I am not willing to give up my job yet! It is like a runner who has to give up there love.Im going back I have not come this far to quit, or acept any other possibilities!!! Hehehe No way.You have a lot of good knowledge I like to read what you post it is good to see many people here with so much to offer I only hope thatI can give back a smidgen of what i have been given!

Tammie on 9/08/01 at 10:17 (059470)

But then if you asked them would they trade there illness with anyone else , most would say no I would not want to put anyone thru what i am going thru! Most people are that way think about it, I think that in pain there are many levels not just the physical side there are other areas to and another important one would be the emotional side , I kinda see where this is left out in treatments of most illness, they see the physical side but forget to treat the other pain which may interfere with the healing side of physical .Especially with any long term pain in any thing Like this There was a elderly fellow that broke his hip badly and had to have a hip replacement, he would cry when he was in his room I would try to talk to him about it and asked is your hip hurting anre u having pain he would say yes so he would get a pain shot but still he cryed in pain. Would try to ask can you tell me about it he would say angry NO said I am having pain. I would say ok is something bothering you or would you like me to leave, he would say I just want to go home,so we would talk about it and do u know what the mans real pain was? His pain was he had a cat at home that he loved and was worried it was missing him and his worry was would he be able to ever return to his home. Him being older now he was in his early 60 so would not consider him elderly but in his mind he seen himself never returning to his home and only at the age of 60. We had many good chats after that and talked with freinds to sneak his cat in for a visit , and do u know this man made a remarkable recovery and with allot less pain and seemed to ask allot less for pain meds. But how often are we to busy to address thease issues, and to look for reasons other then the physical that we may see. I have done alot of thinking and reading since I have been home and feel renewed energy and like I have gotton alot of good knowledge here, u see I do not retain things well I wanted to be a nurse but I just am not good at retaining knowledge unless I use it all the time, I am a person that is hands on and from the heart lol I often worry that I have some other memory desease lol. But I may not retain the medical termenology and such but from the emotional level of what you have taught me here I took to heart and it will work and help others with I hope.What I am trying to say badly of course is I have a hard time with the learning of the physical and terminology of a injury or illness but I can do well with the heart and the emotional side of it,I think that is what i am trying to spit out lol.I do hope and as I read back on some of my posts I feel angry at myself and embarresed, as I do sound like a big whiny baby who feels like I am the only dumped on sort ('') I am not that way really , I had the emotional issue of not knowing and understanding of what was happening and the lenghth of time involved and for the people who seen thru seen the issue that really upset me , the worry of will I be able to return to my love no not running or even playing , but still to me it is like that for me I relate it to that I want to just know that someday sometime I will be able to do what i love best,which is my work to u but to me it is my fun my extened life so to speak. So if I come out as being forever whiny lol yes I suppose I have been the pf thing stole my (candy) so to speak and I like so many of you am trying hard to deal with that and get around things with fixing the physical problem also. Gosh this is longer then intended as usual, can you tell I am really bored and lonely I am sorry really I am it is hard sitting I hate it and the mind works in overdrive as noone to listen to me, so on this note off I go to bother someone else! Thanks for posts that made me think again. As I thought you might be refering to me that I should be grateful for not having a serious illness, Believe me I am each day I thank the lord for protecting me and giving me such a long life with few illnesses , as I have been healthy never needing a dr. till this besides the normal female stuff (') I am grateful and am learning about how it is really to be a patient . Yuck dont like it at all.

Re: Thanks Tammie -- You help more than you realize.

Glenn X on 9/08/01 at 13:13 (059496)

Tammie: I find your posts illuminating! I don't often respond to them becauseI'd get repetitive with my thanks.

As you can tell from my own focus I'm sorta pre-occupied with 'problem-solving' my recovery. For me, that seems to call on way more left-brain activity: Plans, measures, steps, re-evaluations. It's stuff that works for me, but is pretty two-dimensional.

You help me stay plugged into the emotional path to recovery. Your simple story about the man worried about his cat . . .

'His pain was he had a cat at home that he loved and was worried it was missing him and his worry was would he be able to ever return to his home.'

Absolutely poetic! And where you continue:

'We had many good chats after that and talked with friends to sneak his cat in for a visit , and do u know this man made a remarkable recovery and with allot less pain and seemed to ask allot less for pain meds.'

This is some of the best treatment advice I've read on heelspurs.

I'm often asked to rate my pain on a scale from 1 to 10. And I'm always stumped for an answer. Your cat story helps me understand why. The most relevant pain I feel is not in my feet.

Perhaps too my path to fuller recovery lies some four feet above my soles. In the days ahead I'll 'problem-solve' there a bunch more.

I love my work, and have been able to continue with it throughout, though I spend more time at my desk than I would like. I hope before too long you are able to completely return to what you love best. The world certainly needs more thoughtful, caring care-givers such as yourself.

Re: Thanks Glenn

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 17:18 (059652)

Thank u! You are very sweet and made me feel better! Thank u and I do hope that u will get thru all of your areas pf healing! It is sure a test of several different levels for each of us! Continued sucess with searching for your answers! Thank u again. Gosh you write things nice lol hm maybe I should work on this for my next project.

Paula G. on 9/12/01 at 07:58 (059948)

Ami, I was where you are. I decided I really did not have a lot to lose at this point and I opted for the surgery, which I am having in two days.
My doctor told me worst case scenerio also. I don't think they want you to be too optimistic just in case...I have had this for two years now and done just about every treatment that there is, and I have done all I can do. There are many times God chooses to use doctors and surgery as a means of healing. I choose to use the knowledge my doctor has and go for it. If this is a success, I am planning the other foot done in about a year, at least.
Whatever you decide, decide for yourself not what has or has not worked for someone else.

patricia h on 10/13/01 at 12:10 (062920)

Hi, I am scheduled to have pf surgery day after tomorrow. I have tried everything under the sun to relieve my foot pain. I have lived with this for about 2 years. I can endure no more. An amputation at this point would be welcomed. If there is anyone out there who has had a successful foot surgery, please write. I have heard so much negative that I am thinking of calling off the surgery. If I don't hear some positives re: this surgery, I may opt to not do it. I have had many frustrating situations in my live of 47 years, but this is so...........hard to live with. I am used to holding two jobs and being a very physically active person.