Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

peroneal tendonitis?

Posted by CatherineL on 9/06/01 at 09:16 (059211)

I have had PF/Heel spurs for almost 1 1/2yrs now. I posted on the dr board with a very frustrated post. I am no better now that back then.

I got the script for Vioxx filled and started back on that again which has improved the pain level greatly. I can walk again.

I've read posts on peroneal tendonitis and was wondering what it is.

I'm curious since I have a high arch, underpronate and have extreme pain around the edges of my heels.

Been seen by 2 drs, 2 phisiotherapists and not been diagnosed with this, but curious.

Thanx
Catherine

Re: peroneal tendonitis?

Carmel M on 9/06/01 at 12:41 (059230)

Catherine, That is exactly my question too! I just saw my Pod on Tuesday and was describing my pain areas and told him of pain around the edge or what I call the 'rim' of my heel. He said something about achilles tendonitis, but when I did a search on that it seems like most pain from the achilles would be higher up on the back of the heel near the ankle bone.

I've had PF for over two years now and after all the usual treatments, we are going to try PT. I plan on asking the therapist about the pain on the edge of my heal. I don't see the therapist until next Tuesday, but if I find out anything I'll post it to you. In the meantime I hope someone reads this and has some info for us.

Carmel

ellen w on 9/06/01 at 13:26 (059234)

Last year I had achilles tendonitis and retrocalcaneal bursitis. At first my doctor only diagnosed AT; he completely missed the bursitis problem. It was only after the AT resolved (lots of pt with a strong focus on deep tissue massage) and I still had a lot of heel pain that he diagnosed the second problem. My pain from the bursitis 'wandered' all over my heel and back portion of my foot --one day it would be on the left, another on the right or exact middle back, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, plus the heel was red and almost rock hard. Also had problems with throbbing pain at night.

You might ask your doctor to check on retrocalcaneal bursitis as a possible diagnosis -- the inflammed bursa sack was visible on an x-ray, though my doctor also ordered an MRI to confirm it. The pain was caused by the inflammed sack pressing against a tendon.

It took a lot (months) of treatment. initially, PT, ice, NSAIDS didn't help. The first thing that really worked was an oral steroid (5-day dose pack). This didn't have a longterm effect, but short-term, brought the inflammation way down -- demonstrating, my doctor said, that I would NOT need surgery. A week or two after the dose pack, the stiffness/pain returned, but not quite to the same level, and I believe it got my leg started on a path toward healing. Subsequent treatment included more work to reduce the inflammation (MSM, no carbonated sodas, icing), more PT (stretching the ankle against therabands seemed to help).

FYI, this was my left leg. My right leg is now having a problem with PF. Sigh.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/06/01 at 15:19 (059254)

There are two peroneal tendons, peroneus longus and peroneus brevis. They are on the outside of the foot and ankle. They act to roll the ankle and foot inwards. Inflammation of either tendon is termed peroneal tendinitis.
Ed

CatherineL on 9/06/01 at 16:31 (059275)

Thanx for all the replies. Sounds like I have more going on than thought.

Dr Ed,
What would the symptoms be?

CL

Carmel M on 9/06/01 at 12:41 (059230)

Catherine, That is exactly my question too! I just saw my Pod on Tuesday and was describing my pain areas and told him of pain around the edge or what I call the 'rim' of my heel. He said something about achilles tendonitis, but when I did a search on that it seems like most pain from the achilles would be higher up on the back of the heel near the ankle bone.

I've had PF for over two years now and after all the usual treatments, we are going to try PT. I plan on asking the therapist about the pain on the edge of my heal. I don't see the therapist until next Tuesday, but if I find out anything I'll post it to you. In the meantime I hope someone reads this and has some info for us.

Carmel

ellen w on 9/06/01 at 13:26 (059234)

Last year I had achilles tendonitis and retrocalcaneal bursitis. At first my doctor only diagnosed AT; he completely missed the bursitis problem. It was only after the AT resolved (lots of pt with a strong focus on deep tissue massage) and I still had a lot of heel pain that he diagnosed the second problem. My pain from the bursitis 'wandered' all over my heel and back portion of my foot --one day it would be on the left, another on the right or exact middle back, sometimes higher, sometimes lower, plus the heel was red and almost rock hard. Also had problems with throbbing pain at night.

You might ask your doctor to check on retrocalcaneal bursitis as a possible diagnosis -- the inflammed bursa sack was visible on an x-ray, though my doctor also ordered an MRI to confirm it. The pain was caused by the inflammed sack pressing against a tendon.

It took a lot (months) of treatment. initially, PT, ice, NSAIDS didn't help. The first thing that really worked was an oral steroid (5-day dose pack). This didn't have a longterm effect, but short-term, brought the inflammation way down -- demonstrating, my doctor said, that I would NOT need surgery. A week or two after the dose pack, the stiffness/pain returned, but not quite to the same level, and I believe it got my leg started on a path toward healing. Subsequent treatment included more work to reduce the inflammation (MSM, no carbonated sodas, icing), more PT (stretching the ankle against therabands seemed to help).

FYI, this was my left leg. My right leg is now having a problem with PF. Sigh.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/06/01 at 15:19 (059254)

There are two peroneal tendons, peroneus longus and peroneus brevis. They are on the outside of the foot and ankle. They act to roll the ankle and foot inwards. Inflammation of either tendon is termed peroneal tendinitis.
Ed

CatherineL on 9/06/01 at 16:31 (059275)

Thanx for all the replies. Sounds like I have more going on than thought.

Dr Ed,
What would the symptoms be?

CL