Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

torn Achilles tendon then Planter Fasciitis then?

Posted by Eddie Godshalk on 9/06/01 at 13:41 (059240)

I tore my Achilles tendon at work, walked on it for 2 weeks (ignorant) then in a fiberglass cast for 3 months. Upon taking the cast off and walking I think I tore another tendon and have Planter Fasciitis. Currently in physical therapy, where UltraSound and massages of the lower arch is VERY painful. Limping on the left side of foot (pain if I don't). Sporatic swelling, comes and goes.

My question is, should I put the cast back on? Where is the point where pain is good vs. not? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Eddie G
Realvalues@hotmail.com

Re: torn Achilles tendon then Planter Fasciitis then?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/06/01 at 15:32 (059259)

One of the biggest complications of achilles tendon tears is a tight or shortened achilles tendon. A tight achilles tendon, in turn places more strain on the plantar fascia and thus can lead to plantar fasciitis. Need to check on the potential degree of shortening on your achilles.

PS. There is a longstanding debate on conservative treatment vs. surgical repair of achilles tendon ruptures. I feel that there is less potential for shortening with surgical repair.
Ed

Re: torn Achilles tendon then Planter Fasciitis then?

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/06/01 at 15:32 (059259)

One of the biggest complications of achilles tendon tears is a tight or shortened achilles tendon. A tight achilles tendon, in turn places more strain on the plantar fascia and thus can lead to plantar fasciitis. Need to check on the potential degree of shortening on your achilles.

PS. There is a longstanding debate on conservative treatment vs. surgical repair of achilles tendon ruptures. I feel that there is less potential for shortening with surgical repair.
Ed