Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

top of foot Pain

Posted by Peter Algazi on 9/06/01 at 17:22 (059280)

I had 2 stress fractures in my 3rd and 4th metatarsals on my right foot from running in High School 16 years ago. I have decided to give running another chance after all these years off. I am an athlete but just stopped high mileage running(40-60 miles a week in high school) for over 10 years. I thought easing back into it by walking hills and long distances for the last 4 months along with stretching and Yoga I could remain injury free. I had no problems of any kind from walking a Yoga and was feeling strong. I had lost 12 pounds down from 212 to 200 at 5 feet 11. Just 2 weeks ago I started adding runs in with the walks of just 3 to 5 miles a couple to three times a week. Just the other day I felt a pain on the top of my foot between the 4th and 5th metarsal. I only feel it from the top and when I press on it. There is no swelling just enough pain to give me a warning signal. I think it's nothing serious yet? Maybe Morton's Neuroma? But I am really concerned. I have good running shoes from Saucony with a wide toe box ment for stability and cushioning. I have today went out and bought an insole with heal and metarasal cushioning. I believe my foot arch is medium and I tend to Supinate my right foot more than my left. I was thinking about putting in a Wedge as well on the outside of my heal? Any suggestions. I would desperately love to be able to run and run healthy.
Thank you in advance for reading about my problem.

Re: top of foot Pain

BG CPed on 9/07/01 at 21:56 (059443)

DO NOT PUT A WEDGE UNDER LATERAL HEEL. If you supinate or not dont do it. You should get an evaluation before you try anything like that. You may well supinate, you may also have a leg length difference. Your history is obviously due to something biomechanical.

Posting in the forefoot may help, but get an eval first. I would also try a cushion shoe like new bal 878. If you supinate you dont need a motion control shoe. Make sure your arch length is taken into account when sizing shoe. It is not alway the same as the heel toe length. That can cause or irritate forefoot also.

Peter Algazi on 9/10/01 at 11:41 (059725)

Thanks for reading my problem. What do you mean by posting the forefoot?(Standing erect on it?).I have noticed the pain now mostly along the metatarsal line of my 5th toe(smallest one)and the space between that and the 4th. I have been rubbing it and icing. It doesn't hurt walking on it, just when I touch it and sometimes an itch forms in that location. I can run on it without pain but I don't like the direction I'm heading. If it's not a fracture do you think it may be some build up that is breaking up or other irritation? Do you think Calcium pills would be helpfull for me? What kind of doctor should do the evaluation? Thanks, Peter

BG CPed on 9/07/01 at 21:56 (059443)

DO NOT PUT A WEDGE UNDER LATERAL HEEL. If you supinate or not dont do it. You should get an evaluation before you try anything like that. You may well supinate, you may also have a leg length difference. Your history is obviously due to something biomechanical.

Posting in the forefoot may help, but get an eval first. I would also try a cushion shoe like new bal 878. If you supinate you dont need a motion control shoe. Make sure your arch length is taken into account when sizing shoe. It is not alway the same as the heel toe length. That can cause or irritate forefoot also.

Peter Algazi on 9/10/01 at 11:41 (059725)

Thanks for reading my problem. What do you mean by posting the forefoot?(Standing erect on it?).I have noticed the pain now mostly along the metatarsal line of my 5th toe(smallest one)and the space between that and the 4th. I have been rubbing it and icing. It doesn't hurt walking on it, just when I touch it and sometimes an itch forms in that location. I can run on it without pain but I don't like the direction I'm heading. If it's not a fracture do you think it may be some build up that is breaking up or other irritation? Do you think Calcium pills would be helpfull for me? What kind of doctor should do the evaluation? Thanks, Peter