Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Went to work for one day

Posted by Stephanie A on 9/06/01 at 19:49 (059299)

I went back to work monday, actually I lasted the whole shift but boy was it painful. You would think after 3 1/2months I would be able to do it.
I just need to vent a little.
Went back to the doctor (the good one) and he popped my cubiod into place, waited about fifteen minutes then wanted me to get up and walk, I could not even stand on it let alone walk, he gave me a cortisone shot in the joint and taped a piece of thick gauze to the bottom of my foot and wants to see me in a week, he put me on restrictions at work (no standing longer than 20 minutes in an hour,no working longer than 8 hours a day and not more than 5 days a week) Well not easy to do when you are on your feet 8 hours a day sometimes 16, and work 6 days on and 2 off, personnel just about laughed at me, he said he would check with my unit director and call me, he called a said sorry but we can not accommadate you. So he extended my leave another week. It made me angry, I want to go to work, I would do anything to get out of this house. Some people may like having the whole summer off but not ME, I have never been off this long since I started working.
I also told the doctor that the other doctor did not think that it was the same thing as he did (they work in the same office) And if he (the other doctor) would of listened to me complain about where my pain was 4 1/2 weeks ago it would be better by now. Thank God the other doctors wife had twins so he was not there so I got to see the good doctor. Today it does feel a little better, I did get the rebound from the cortisone last night, but that is gone now. I just hope I can go to work next week. Thanks for letting me vent.

Re: Went to work for one day

Mike M on 9/09/01 at 11:31 (059615)

Stephanie

Had to reply. I had my PF/TTS done in Feb (7th) went back to work April 9th, knew I was facing another op for scar tissue removal which was done June 22nd. Now back to work, light duty, 4 hr days.
As with your employer, I know what your talking about.
I return to my doc tomorrow ~ it's been one month of light duty.
My employer wants to re-evaluate my position with them if I'm continued on light duty past tomorrow.
My work days have been changed as has my work times.
I ask myself, 'Can I get thru an 8 hr work day with the tasks I am to do?'
My reply is 'NO'
I have trouble getting thru the 4 hr days, but have done it, even 8 straight work days ~ welcome back to light duty.
I work in a building that is very humid (water treatment plant) concrete floors, and six flights of steps ~ some of which I am up and down 8 times in one hour.
My work schedule has been changed by my employer that when I work, I am at the facility by myself. (I used to work days with at least one other employee on site at the same time)
My duties (computer support) have been taken from me and now I do janitorial duties ~ floor sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.
But I do it, what else is one to do?
I personally feel it is discrimination against me because I am on light duty.
I have worked for this employer 3 months shy of 15 years, and had enough sick time built up to cover me everyday I was off.
Truthfully we need a venting board for the after effects of surgery ~ not the pain we deal with, but the economics we deal with from our employers.

Mike M

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 12:11 (059621)

Mike that is awful, I feel really bad for u! I have heard of this so often it is sad that the people who really deserve the understanding seem to get the bad end of the stick! My mom always has told me , u give your best for all those years and never abuse the system u never miss work u do all they ask plus and then when u need there understanding and maybe some light duty or a sick day or something and they abuse you for it as you are not supposed to get sick or anything. They tend to see u as super human and should not cause them any inconvience! That is really the pits I am sorry this is happening to u is there any way to do something> Do you have a grievence board? I think that is terrible I hope things get better for you! Good Luck!

Mike M on 9/10/01 at 07:40 (059696)

I work for a city government ~ that's the kicker. But it is in small town Appalachian USA. Where they believe their laws superceed the US laws.
Someone told me I could, if so inclined, get an attorney and file a discrimination suite against them - RE: the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
However, how long does that take and what would one gain?
I'm trained (college educated and Microsoft certified) in computers - support, building and programming. So for now I sweep and mop floors.
What to do next?
You wouldn't believe how many resumes one can send out!
Loyalty? Yeah, that went right out with the dishwater.
My dad always said ~ 'Your just a body, a number to an employer. As long as your warm they want you'
Keep in touch and let me know how your doing.
I go back to the doc later today.

Wishing you luck,
Mike M

Tammie on 9/10/01 at 08:00 (059698)

Mike ,
Yes I can see what you are saying and I also understand what your dad says , it is sad but seems to be true of the majority work force.
I really can't understand how they think sometimes, I mean hard working and dedicated people are not a dime a dozen and that should
account for something? Well whne you are gone they will miss you, if u find another job. But then you to have to suffer more as you lose your
so called extra benifits like senority and vacation time etc. I am fortuanate I believe I have good employers but then at times they are inpatient with me
but believe it is also do to the lack of knowledge about my problems with my feet. They do not see how it can take so long to heel them
as with 2 surgeries now, they thought I should be back 2 days after this last one. As they said with carpal tunnel the girls come back in 2 days.
I told them I will gladly come back find something I can do with my leg propped up and make it so I dont have to do much walking and
I will be in today if the Dr. will agree. Of course not much of that kinda work for nurses aide . But the real test will be when I am ready to return how they will treat me then. But in any case I hear you and it does seem to be on the whole like allot of business. I am wishing you the best of luck
And hope you recieve some good news from your dr. will keep u in my thoughts and prayers today and let us know how things go.

Glenn X on 9/10/01 at 21:38 (059800)

Mike: I'm not a legal source, but were I you I'd first contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) for advice. They can certainly help you better understand your rights, and might help you pursue your cause. They could also help put your employer on more formal notice re the unconscionable stance they've taken to your plight. You'll find taking a more active role on behalf of what you feel is right will help too. So go get 'em!

Re: A New Twist

Mike M on 9/11/01 at 08:20 (059844)

Thanks for the info. Believe me I did cruise the 'Net and found an attorney to e-mail with the problems I have been facing.
Now heres the new twist.
Yesterday I saw my surgeon, who continued my light duty status with 2 additions ~ taking Neurotin now and 3X a week a TENS unit. If no improvement in 3 weeks, I will see a neurologist to determine if the area where I broke my foot/ankle may have entrapped the sorel nerve during the healing (calcification) process.
I just had a phone call from my employer, they want to meet with me tomorrow to re-evaluate my position...
Cute, huh?

Mike M

Mike M on 9/09/01 at 11:31 (059615)

Stephanie

Had to reply. I had my PF/TTS done in Feb (7th) went back to work April 9th, knew I was facing another op for scar tissue removal which was done June 22nd. Now back to work, light duty, 4 hr days.
As with your employer, I know what your talking about.
I return to my doc tomorrow ~ it's been one month of light duty.
My employer wants to re-evaluate my position with them if I'm continued on light duty past tomorrow.
My work days have been changed as has my work times.
I ask myself, 'Can I get thru an 8 hr work day with the tasks I am to do?'
My reply is 'NO'
I have trouble getting thru the 4 hr days, but have done it, even 8 straight work days ~ welcome back to light duty.
I work in a building that is very humid (water treatment plant) concrete floors, and six flights of steps ~ some of which I am up and down 8 times in one hour.
My work schedule has been changed by my employer that when I work, I am at the facility by myself. (I used to work days with at least one other employee on site at the same time)
My duties (computer support) have been taken from me and now I do janitorial duties ~ floor sweeping, mopping, dusting, etc.
But I do it, what else is one to do?
I personally feel it is discrimination against me because I am on light duty.
I have worked for this employer 3 months shy of 15 years, and had enough sick time built up to cover me everyday I was off.
Truthfully we need a venting board for the after effects of surgery ~ not the pain we deal with, but the economics we deal with from our employers.

Mike M

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 12:11 (059621)

Mike that is awful, I feel really bad for u! I have heard of this so often it is sad that the people who really deserve the understanding seem to get the bad end of the stick! My mom always has told me , u give your best for all those years and never abuse the system u never miss work u do all they ask plus and then when u need there understanding and maybe some light duty or a sick day or something and they abuse you for it as you are not supposed to get sick or anything. They tend to see u as super human and should not cause them any inconvience! That is really the pits I am sorry this is happening to u is there any way to do something> Do you have a grievence board? I think that is terrible I hope things get better for you! Good Luck!

Mike M on 9/10/01 at 07:40 (059696)

I work for a city government ~ that's the kicker. But it is in small town Appalachian USA. Where they believe their laws superceed the US laws.
Someone told me I could, if so inclined, get an attorney and file a discrimination suite against them - RE: the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act)
However, how long does that take and what would one gain?
I'm trained (college educated and Microsoft certified) in computers - support, building and programming. So for now I sweep and mop floors.
What to do next?
You wouldn't believe how many resumes one can send out!
Loyalty? Yeah, that went right out with the dishwater.
My dad always said ~ 'Your just a body, a number to an employer. As long as your warm they want you'
Keep in touch and let me know how your doing.
I go back to the doc later today.

Wishing you luck,
Mike M

Tammie on 9/10/01 at 08:00 (059698)

Mike ,
Yes I can see what you are saying and I also understand what your dad says , it is sad but seems to be true of the majority work force.
I really can't understand how they think sometimes, I mean hard working and dedicated people are not a dime a dozen and that should
account for something? Well whne you are gone they will miss you, if u find another job. But then you to have to suffer more as you lose your
so called extra benifits like senority and vacation time etc. I am fortuanate I believe I have good employers but then at times they are inpatient with me
but believe it is also do to the lack of knowledge about my problems with my feet. They do not see how it can take so long to heel them
as with 2 surgeries now, they thought I should be back 2 days after this last one. As they said with carpal tunnel the girls come back in 2 days.
I told them I will gladly come back find something I can do with my leg propped up and make it so I dont have to do much walking and
I will be in today if the Dr. will agree. Of course not much of that kinda work for nurses aide . But the real test will be when I am ready to return how they will treat me then. But in any case I hear you and it does seem to be on the whole like allot of business. I am wishing you the best of luck
And hope you recieve some good news from your dr. will keep u in my thoughts and prayers today and let us know how things go.

Glenn X on 9/10/01 at 21:38 (059800)

Mike: I'm not a legal source, but were I you I'd first contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) for advice. They can certainly help you better understand your rights, and might help you pursue your cause. They could also help put your employer on more formal notice re the unconscionable stance they've taken to your plight. You'll find taking a more active role on behalf of what you feel is right will help too. So go get 'em!

Re: A New Twist

Mike M on 9/11/01 at 08:20 (059844)

Thanks for the info. Believe me I did cruise the 'Net and found an attorney to e-mail with the problems I have been facing.
Now heres the new twist.
Yesterday I saw my surgeon, who continued my light duty status with 2 additions ~ taking Neurotin now and 3X a week a TENS unit. If no improvement in 3 weeks, I will see a neurologist to determine if the area where I broke my foot/ankle may have entrapped the sorel nerve during the healing (calcification) process.
I just had a phone call from my employer, they want to meet with me tomorrow to re-evaluate my position...
Cute, huh?

Mike M