Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Had first ESWT treatment today

Posted by Dan L on 9/07/01 at 13:47 (059395)

Today-7th Sept 2001-I made my first visit to Bayshore ESWT clinic.
I was met with an incredibly caring staff and professionalism.
Also, I had my first in a series of ESWT treatments. Too early to tell you about results but I will use the ESWT treatment experience page to keep you posted. Best wishes to all.

Re: Had first ESWT treatment today

Jack W. on 9/08/01 at 15:59 (059516)

Hi Dan: As of today September 8, 2001 I am no longer an ESWT virgin. I too was treated with a wonderfully friendly down to earth staff at Dr. Z's office. He is a great guy also. Of course it is way to early to tell about results but I am upbeat about my chances as I am sure you are. Keep me posted; lets hope we both have something to cheer about.

Re: Dan & Jack ---- Good for you!

Steve P on 9/09/01 at 18:32 (059656)

Hi Dan & Jack ---

So glad to hear you guys both took the plunge! I'm going to see Dr. Z for my 3rd zap the week after next. (It will have been 3 months since Zap #2).

The specific areas he treated with ESWT are now improved & are no longer the worst areas. I expect him to move on to new areas for the additional zaps. I'm very encouraged.

Be patient.......it make take a few treatments, but you have reason to be very hopeful.

best........Steve

Dan L on 9/10/01 at 12:30 (059730)

Thanks much!! I'm posting to the ESWT EXPERIENCE board to share
my results. Good luck all!!

Pauline on 9/10/01 at 16:23 (059758)

Dan,
I read your entry on the ESWT data board and I appreciate your give us an explaination of your entry. I know you said under satisfaction you give the staff a 10 across the board, but would you also include your satisfaction on how you are responding to the treatment and most importantly the end result. With the other postings that's what I thought satisfaction meant. I didn't realize that the satisfaction number was being used as a location and staff rating. I assumed it meant the patients satifaction with the end result of the treatment.

It sounds like you had a good experience and I know we will be waiting to hear the final results regarding your activity levels and satisfaction with the end result from the actual treatment.

Dan L on 9/12/01 at 18:13 (060021)

My satisfaction rating is how I feel about my results from ESWT teatments.
I simply made a point (under comments) that the staff gets a 10! You'll notice (so far) my 'official' satisfaction rating is below 10...for the treatment itself.
Read closely & look closely. You don't see a 10 rating for the results of the treatment. Best wishes!

Bob D on 9/12/01 at 21:37 (060049)

How many treatments are required?

Dan L on 9/13/01 at 07:39 (060097)

At Bayshore Clinic near Toronto, I received (every other day) ESWT treatments. This was spread out over a week (in my case). After each treatment and on the days between ESWT treatments, I received a laser treatment bottom of each feet. It claims to promote healing. Worthy of note, Bayshore Clinic has added an ultrasound device to their Siemens Sonocur (ESWT) machine. This allows them to pinpoint exactly where the exact spot is that should be treated. Because undamaged tissue does not respond (litterally move)to these shock waves, they can actually see when the plantar fascia is 'bouncing' as the shock waves hit it. The patient is allowed to see same. They KNOW they are treating the right spots by patient feedback ('Ouch! That's the most painful spot!')and watching fascia movement via the ultrasound. I had both feet treated for $900 total in US dollars. One foot would have been $600US. That's the complete total for all treatments. Best wishes to all.

Re: P.S.

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 09:47 (060120)

Dan,
Did you need a referral or tests before they treated you? How fast did you get your appointment. Toronto isn't a bad city to be stuck in, but I know you just want to get home.

Jack W. on 9/13/01 at 20:13 (060223)

This is my first post since first treatment. So far so good but I feel its way to early. Most cases healing starts one to six weeks from initial treatment. My worst pain usually set in towards the end of my daily runs. Haven't run since treatment last Sat. so I can't really read into the absence of pain. I do have occassional throbbing, but not too bad. Will post when I think there is a better reason to. Still very optomistic.

Pauline on 9/14/01 at 07:15 (060281)

Thanks Jack for the update. What's surprising to me is that so many people continue to run while having P.F. It's been my impression that staying off the feet and letting them rest was healing. Not completely off but certinly not running. I'd like to hear other opinions on how much stress should actually be put on the feet if your trying to cure P.F.?

Jack W. on 9/14/01 at 17:00 (060358)

Pauline: Ooops! I forgot to mention that I do NOT have PF, so therein may be the difference. I have calcification and inflamation at the point where the achilles tendon inserts into the calcaneus (I think the pods call it AICT). I also have a touch of Haglunds Deformity. I therefore have no pain at the bottom of my foot or at the bottom of the heel. My pain is to the right of the center of the heel. This condition has never really stopped me from running. What it has done is prevent me from running without pain and from running long distances. So, where I was used to running 12-18 miles with no pain I am now limited to about 7, at which point the pain sets in and gradually becomes more excruciating with every step. Dr. Z said this condition was treatable with ESWT so I went for it so as not to have surgery. Interestingly enough Dr. Z. said I could start running easy again a few days after the first treatment. I guess this is what I wanted to hear, but I have decided to not run for three weeks to give my foot the best possible chance of recovery. If this works I consider 3 weeks no running a small price to pay when weighing it against a six month recovery period with surgery.

Dan L on 9/15/01 at 09:04 (060432)

I called the clinic here in Markham (near Toronto)and had an appointment to fly up in 2 weeks from when I first called. Bayshore Clinic faxed a form to my Orthopadic Surgeon (consent form, I think) but that doctor did not fax it back. However, that was no real problem for clinic. They asked me lots of questions about my condition and history and proceeded with ESWT treatments. Plus I filled out some forms. FYI: Feet still hurt. I really can tell no difference yet. Again, can take 6 to 8 weeks to know true results. My last of three treatments was Sept.13th. (Today's the 15th)

Pauline on 9/15/01 at 11:25 (060455)

Dan,
I hope you'll keep posting on the data sheet so we can follow your progress. Since people go to differents sites for their ESWT it's nice to be able to hear about their results expecially if different machines are involved.

Gail B. on 9/30/01 at 15:19 (061918)

Dan,
I am glad you are posting your information about ESWT treatment. I have had surgery on both of my feet for PF. The first, left foot done via open surgery was successful and foot if pain-free for 2 years.YIPEEE... The left foot however was done in Dec of 2000, Endoscopically and has now become so bad that I can't walk. The muscle in the bottom of the foot is huge and soo painful. I have been to several doctors and they seem afraid to touch it, they don't hesitate to tell me I have a real mess. This past week I went to Nashville to the T.O.A. Clinic, Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance and they immediately starting discussing ESWT treatment. I filled out some forms and they are in the process of getting this approved with my insurance company. THey have the Issotron machine...but your idea of watching with ultrasound so they can see what they are doing, makes a lot of sense. I will ask/inquire about that! Thanks for your posting and I hope you have successs. I hope this is the answer for me...

Please keep the site updated with your progess...it is a big help to me and to many others.

I hope you made it home safely. I agree though that Toronto would be a nice place to be stuck.

Thanks again!
Gail

Dan L on 10/02/01 at 18:57 (062101)

Thanks for your kind comments and best of luck to ALL of us!! I'll continue to post my ESWT progress (or lack of). BYE!

Jack W. on 9/08/01 at 15:59 (059516)

Hi Dan: As of today September 8, 2001 I am no longer an ESWT virgin. I too was treated with a wonderfully friendly down to earth staff at Dr. Z's office. He is a great guy also. Of course it is way to early to tell about results but I am upbeat about my chances as I am sure you are. Keep me posted; lets hope we both have something to cheer about.

Steve P on 9/09/01 at 18:32 (059656)

Hi Dan & Jack ---

So glad to hear you guys both took the plunge! I'm going to see Dr. Z for my 3rd zap the week after next. (It will have been 3 months since Zap #2).

The specific areas he treated with ESWT are now improved & are no longer the worst areas. I expect him to move on to new areas for the additional zaps. I'm very encouraged.

Be patient.......it make take a few treatments, but you have reason to be very hopeful.

best........Steve

Dan L on 9/10/01 at 12:30 (059730)

Thanks much!! I'm posting to the ESWT EXPERIENCE board to share
my results. Good luck all!!

Pauline on 9/10/01 at 16:23 (059758)

Dan,
I read your entry on the ESWT data board and I appreciate your give us an explaination of your entry. I know you said under satisfaction you give the staff a 10 across the board, but would you also include your satisfaction on how you are responding to the treatment and most importantly the end result. With the other postings that's what I thought satisfaction meant. I didn't realize that the satisfaction number was being used as a location and staff rating. I assumed it meant the patients satifaction with the end result of the treatment.

It sounds like you had a good experience and I know we will be waiting to hear the final results regarding your activity levels and satisfaction with the end result from the actual treatment.

Dan L on 9/12/01 at 18:13 (060021)

My satisfaction rating is how I feel about my results from ESWT teatments.
I simply made a point (under comments) that the staff gets a 10! You'll notice (so far) my 'official' satisfaction rating is below 10...for the treatment itself.
Read closely & look closely. You don't see a 10 rating for the results of the treatment. Best wishes!

Bob D on 9/12/01 at 21:37 (060049)

How many treatments are required?

Dan L on 9/13/01 at 07:39 (060097)

At Bayshore Clinic near Toronto, I received (every other day) ESWT treatments. This was spread out over a week (in my case). After each treatment and on the days between ESWT treatments, I received a laser treatment bottom of each feet. It claims to promote healing. Worthy of note, Bayshore Clinic has added an ultrasound device to their Siemens Sonocur (ESWT) machine. This allows them to pinpoint exactly where the exact spot is that should be treated. Because undamaged tissue does not respond (litterally move)to these shock waves, they can actually see when the plantar fascia is 'bouncing' as the shock waves hit it. The patient is allowed to see same. They KNOW they are treating the right spots by patient feedback ('Ouch! That's the most painful spot!')and watching fascia movement via the ultrasound. I had both feet treated for $900 total in US dollars. One foot would have been $600US. That's the complete total for all treatments. Best wishes to all.

Pauline on 9/13/01 at 09:47 (060120)

Dan,
Did you need a referral or tests before they treated you? How fast did you get your appointment. Toronto isn't a bad city to be stuck in, but I know you just want to get home.

Jack W. on 9/13/01 at 20:13 (060223)

This is my first post since first treatment. So far so good but I feel its way to early. Most cases healing starts one to six weeks from initial treatment. My worst pain usually set in towards the end of my daily runs. Haven't run since treatment last Sat. so I can't really read into the absence of pain. I do have occassional throbbing, but not too bad. Will post when I think there is a better reason to. Still very optomistic.

Pauline on 9/14/01 at 07:15 (060281)

Thanks Jack for the update. What's surprising to me is that so many people continue to run while having P.F. It's been my impression that staying off the feet and letting them rest was healing. Not completely off but certinly not running. I'd like to hear other opinions on how much stress should actually be put on the feet if your trying to cure P.F.?

Jack W. on 9/14/01 at 17:00 (060358)

Pauline: Ooops! I forgot to mention that I do NOT have PF, so therein may be the difference. I have calcification and inflamation at the point where the achilles tendon inserts into the calcaneus (I think the pods call it AICT). I also have a touch of Haglunds Deformity. I therefore have no pain at the bottom of my foot or at the bottom of the heel. My pain is to the right of the center of the heel. This condition has never really stopped me from running. What it has done is prevent me from running without pain and from running long distances. So, where I was used to running 12-18 miles with no pain I am now limited to about 7, at which point the pain sets in and gradually becomes more excruciating with every step. Dr. Z said this condition was treatable with ESWT so I went for it so as not to have surgery. Interestingly enough Dr. Z. said I could start running easy again a few days after the first treatment. I guess this is what I wanted to hear, but I have decided to not run for three weeks to give my foot the best possible chance of recovery. If this works I consider 3 weeks no running a small price to pay when weighing it against a six month recovery period with surgery.

Dan L on 9/15/01 at 09:04 (060432)

I called the clinic here in Markham (near Toronto)and had an appointment to fly up in 2 weeks from when I first called. Bayshore Clinic faxed a form to my Orthopadic Surgeon (consent form, I think) but that doctor did not fax it back. However, that was no real problem for clinic. They asked me lots of questions about my condition and history and proceeded with ESWT treatments. Plus I filled out some forms. FYI: Feet still hurt. I really can tell no difference yet. Again, can take 6 to 8 weeks to know true results. My last of three treatments was Sept.13th. (Today's the 15th)

Pauline on 9/15/01 at 11:25 (060455)

Dan,
I hope you'll keep posting on the data sheet so we can follow your progress. Since people go to differents sites for their ESWT it's nice to be able to hear about their results expecially if different machines are involved.

Gail B. on 9/30/01 at 15:19 (061918)

Dan,
I am glad you are posting your information about ESWT treatment. I have had surgery on both of my feet for PF. The first, left foot done via open surgery was successful and foot if pain-free for 2 years.YIPEEE... The left foot however was done in Dec of 2000, Endoscopically and has now become so bad that I can't walk. The muscle in the bottom of the foot is huge and soo painful. I have been to several doctors and they seem afraid to touch it, they don't hesitate to tell me I have a real mess. This past week I went to Nashville to the T.O.A. Clinic, Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance and they immediately starting discussing ESWT treatment. I filled out some forms and they are in the process of getting this approved with my insurance company. THey have the Issotron machine...but your idea of watching with ultrasound so they can see what they are doing, makes a lot of sense. I will ask/inquire about that! Thanks for your posting and I hope you have successs. I hope this is the answer for me...

Please keep the site updated with your progess...it is a big help to me and to many others.

I hope you made it home safely. I agree though that Toronto would be a nice place to be stuck.

Thanks again!
Gail

Dan L on 10/02/01 at 18:57 (062101)

Thanks for your kind comments and best of luck to ALL of us!! I'll continue to post my ESWT progress (or lack of). BYE!