Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Orthotics

Posted by Stephanie L. on 9/07/01 at 16:43 (059408)

I was diagnosed with plantar fasciitis several years ago and tried numerous different things including the anti-inflammatory pills, stretches and icing. Finally they recommended either getting a steroid injection or having orthotics made for my shoes. I opted for the orthotics. I went to a podiatrist and had casts made etc. and I wear them faithfully. I have also stopped doing any high impact exercising, but I do walk quite frequently. while my pain has decreased, it has not gone far! Is it worth my time to continue with these or would you recommend one of the shoe inserts talked about on this website? I am also considering the night splints. Would a combination be best? Thanks.

Re: Orthotics

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:41 (059537)

Custom orthotics will generally be better than a generic insert if the orthotics are well made. How long have you had the orthotics? Have they been adjusted by your doctor? night splints will help if your achilles tendon is tight. A tight achilles-gastrosoleus complex is one of the big culprits in difficult plantar fasciitis cases. are you getting physical therapy?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/01 at 21:33 (059559)

How long have you been wearing your inserts? Sometimes one steriod injection in conjunction with continous wearing of orthosis can move you past your present pain point and on to a dramatic pain free life. So think about the steriod injection.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:41 (059537)

Custom orthotics will generally be better than a generic insert if the orthotics are well made. How long have you had the orthotics? Have they been adjusted by your doctor? night splints will help if your achilles tendon is tight. A tight achilles-gastrosoleus complex is one of the big culprits in difficult plantar fasciitis cases. are you getting physical therapy?
Ed

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/08/01 at 21:33 (059559)

How long have you been wearing your inserts? Sometimes one steriod injection in conjunction with continous wearing of orthosis can move you past your present pain point and on to a dramatic pain free life. So think about the steriod injection.