Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Morton's Neuroma

Posted by Sandra on 9/07/01 at 17:10 (059412)

Since about 1995, I have experienced increasingly soul-destroying pain in my left foot. In 1999, I was diagnosed with Mortons and prescribed insoles. ALthough they helped at first, they don't help so much now and I can only fit them into trainer type shoes. (Really great for my office job.) Before, I could take off my shoe and rub my foot for relief but now the pain is so severe that I just can't touch my foot. On all the message boards the surgery cure seems worse than the disease. I just don't know what to do now and living in a small town in Germany doesn't increase my options much. Does anyone have anything good to say about the surgery results as I would travel anywhere at this point for relief. Any advice appreciated - thanks.

Re: Morton's Neuroma

Pauline on 9/08/01 at 13:13 (059495)

Sandra,
I am no doctor, so I can only share my own Morton's Neuroma treatment. I was diagnosed with one over 10 years ago. I had it treated by a doctor with a steroid injection. For me, this one injection took down the swelling and the pain.

My doctor advised against having surgery unless all else failed. I resigned myself to wearing wider shoes with lower heels when I dress up so as not to aggravate the neuroma and at other times I wear my new balance running shoe. I have found no need for surgery and have not had any problems since having the steroid injection.

Many doctors will inject alcohol to kill the nerve, which I personally feel in my case would have been over treatment because the steroid and a wider shoe with a lower heel did the trick. Once the nerve is killed by injecting it with alcohol or by surgery to remove the neuroma you will have numbness in the toe area. You should also know that nerves that are cut heal by forming neruomas so there is always the possibility you can cut out one neuroma and end up with two more. Depending on where those are located, within the tissue of the foot, will determine if they will end up causing you more pain.

I personally try to avoid foot surgery and think doctors make it sound like such a simple cure for many foot problems. Because of the complex nature of the foot I think the opposite is quite true.

I'd advise you to see a doctor who specializes in foot and ankle surgery and tell him you want a conservative approach in treating your neruoma. Since you've tried the orthotic which tried to shift your weight off the neruoma area isn't working now, maybe a steroid injection combined with wider, lower shoes may do the trick. Those narrow pointed shoes really caused women to pay dearly for wearing them. I wish you the best of luck.

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 12:58 (059629)

I'd like the doctors to sound-off on this one as well. I have a neuroma in both feet, worse in the left. I have had a series of eight sclerosing injections in the one space (between the 2nd & third toes), with no relief. The pain is quite extraordinary and I am opting for surgery. My doctor in Dallas tells me that they never go away once they begin. All sorts of shoe changes seem not to help. My pf started this cycle. I am interested to know if they re-form in the foot once they are cut out. Thanks! B.

Nancy M on 9/09/01 at 21:54 (059666)

I've had 3 neuromas removed, 2 in left foot between the 2nd and 3rd toes and 3rd and 4th toes and 1 in right foot between 2nd and 3rd toes. Surgeries were in June 1998 and July 1999. They have not reformed and no problems from the surgeries. I also had injections and PT before surgeries.

Nancy M in AZ

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 22:12 (059670)

Nancy - thanks for the info! I really want to do the healthiest thing long-term for my feet, but there things are really unbearable. They even keep me up at night! B.

Pauline on 9/11/01 at 16:55 (059897)

Barb,
I think Dr. Zuckerman tried to answer your post. It's on the surgery board under 'I'm a success story' It must have gotten mixed up. In any case he talks about Neruomas. I didn't want you to miss it. Hope your surgery works.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 18:42 (059913)

Thanks Pauline. Strange I posted it on this tread.

Barbara TX on 9/11/01 at 19:02 (059917)

Thanks for the heads-up Pauline, I will go there. B.

Re: Dr. Z - Morton's Neuroma

Barbara TX on 9/11/01 at 19:06 (059918)

Hello you, and welcome back from wherever you've been! I have found your post and thanks as usual. I don't have a morton's, because it is one space over. What might you call that? I will call it a BabsTX neuroma in honor of myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to know why they grow back. Thanks! B.

Nancy C. on 10/18/01 at 13:29 (063231)

Hi Nancy,
I have just had a neuroma surgically removed from my foot 2 weeks ago today. The sutures came out this morning . It is very sore and I was told it would be for a week or two. But I read that some people can walk on it right after the surgery with no pain. Could you tell me how you did after the surgery ? I can't find much info on the first few weeks following the surgery. Thanks muchly.

Pauline on 9/08/01 at 13:13 (059495)

Sandra,
I am no doctor, so I can only share my own Morton's Neuroma treatment. I was diagnosed with one over 10 years ago. I had it treated by a doctor with a steroid injection. For me, this one injection took down the swelling and the pain.

My doctor advised against having surgery unless all else failed. I resigned myself to wearing wider shoes with lower heels when I dress up so as not to aggravate the neuroma and at other times I wear my new balance running shoe. I have found no need for surgery and have not had any problems since having the steroid injection.

Many doctors will inject alcohol to kill the nerve, which I personally feel in my case would have been over treatment because the steroid and a wider shoe with a lower heel did the trick. Once the nerve is killed by injecting it with alcohol or by surgery to remove the neuroma you will have numbness in the toe area. You should also know that nerves that are cut heal by forming neruomas so there is always the possibility you can cut out one neuroma and end up with two more. Depending on where those are located, within the tissue of the foot, will determine if they will end up causing you more pain.

I personally try to avoid foot surgery and think doctors make it sound like such a simple cure for many foot problems. Because of the complex nature of the foot I think the opposite is quite true.

I'd advise you to see a doctor who specializes in foot and ankle surgery and tell him you want a conservative approach in treating your neruoma. Since you've tried the orthotic which tried to shift your weight off the neruoma area isn't working now, maybe a steroid injection combined with wider, lower shoes may do the trick. Those narrow pointed shoes really caused women to pay dearly for wearing them. I wish you the best of luck.

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 12:58 (059629)

I'd like the doctors to sound-off on this one as well. I have a neuroma in both feet, worse in the left. I have had a series of eight sclerosing injections in the one space (between the 2nd & third toes), with no relief. The pain is quite extraordinary and I am opting for surgery. My doctor in Dallas tells me that they never go away once they begin. All sorts of shoe changes seem not to help. My pf started this cycle. I am interested to know if they re-form in the foot once they are cut out. Thanks! B.

Nancy M on 9/09/01 at 21:54 (059666)

I've had 3 neuromas removed, 2 in left foot between the 2nd and 3rd toes and 3rd and 4th toes and 1 in right foot between 2nd and 3rd toes. Surgeries were in June 1998 and July 1999. They have not reformed and no problems from the surgeries. I also had injections and PT before surgeries.

Nancy M in AZ

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 22:12 (059670)

Nancy - thanks for the info! I really want to do the healthiest thing long-term for my feet, but there things are really unbearable. They even keep me up at night! B.

Pauline on 9/11/01 at 16:55 (059897)

Barb,
I think Dr. Zuckerman tried to answer your post. It's on the surgery board under 'I'm a success story' It must have gotten mixed up. In any case he talks about Neruomas. I didn't want you to miss it. Hope your surgery works.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 18:42 (059913)

Thanks Pauline. Strange I posted it on this tread.

Barbara TX on 9/11/01 at 19:02 (059917)

Thanks for the heads-up Pauline, I will go there. B.

Re: Dr. Z - Morton's Neuroma

Barbara TX on 9/11/01 at 19:06 (059918)

Hello you, and welcome back from wherever you've been! I have found your post and thanks as usual. I don't have a morton's, because it is one space over. What might you call that? I will call it a BabsTX neuroma in honor of myself.

Anyway, I just wanted to know why they grow back. Thanks! B.

Nancy C. on 10/18/01 at 13:29 (063231)

Hi Nancy,
I have just had a neuroma surgically removed from my foot 2 weeks ago today. The sutures came out this morning . It is very sore and I was told it would be for a week or two. But I read that some people can walk on it right after the surgery with no pain. Could you tell me how you did after the surgery ? I can't find much info on the first few weeks following the surgery. Thanks muchly.