Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel spurs

Posted by Sandra B on 9/08/01 at 06:27 (059453)

Yes, I have them but what appears to cause me more pain is the area where the achilles tendon attaches itself to the foot. Mine is quite sore I wear orthotics careful with the shoes I wear but nothing seems to help the soreness. It is swollen & extremely painfull to touch, & I have had injections but they dont really help.
So what else can I do to help?
thanks

Re: Heel spurs

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:38 (059534)

Do you have a diagnosis? AICT? Be very cautious about injections of cortisone about the achilles tendon--they can lead to rupture of the tendon. A safer alternative may be iontophoresis in which an electrode is uded to diffuse a small amount of crtisone into the area. How tight is your achilles tendon?
Ed

Sandra B on 9/09/01 at 06:19 (059591)

Yes, I have had the cortisone injections, & in regards to tightness at times extremely tight that it effects the way I walk until my feet warm up.
I have been recently making a concerted effort to do stretching exercises but at times I feel like a cripple & im sure i look like one. If I dont wear my orthotics, my god dont i know it.
Any other suggestions Im not keen on operations on the spurs as they no doubt will grow back
cheers
sandra

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/09/01 at 23:03 (059680)

Consider using the night splints---at least 6 weeks or consistent use, longer may be better though. Consider a good physical therapy program.
Ed

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:38 (059534)

Do you have a diagnosis? AICT? Be very cautious about injections of cortisone about the achilles tendon--they can lead to rupture of the tendon. A safer alternative may be iontophoresis in which an electrode is uded to diffuse a small amount of crtisone into the area. How tight is your achilles tendon?
Ed

Sandra B on 9/09/01 at 06:19 (059591)

Yes, I have had the cortisone injections, & in regards to tightness at times extremely tight that it effects the way I walk until my feet warm up.
I have been recently making a concerted effort to do stretching exercises but at times I feel like a cripple & im sure i look like one. If I dont wear my orthotics, my god dont i know it.
Any other suggestions Im not keen on operations on the spurs as they no doubt will grow back
cheers
sandra

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/09/01 at 23:03 (059680)

Consider using the night splints---at least 6 weeks or consistent use, longer may be better though. Consider a good physical therapy program.
Ed