Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis, ongoing!

Posted by Rachael T. on 9/08/01 at 08:29 (059457)

Hi! I have thoroughly read & appreciated this site - ever since April 1st when I was diagnosed w/ plantar fasciitis. Since that time, I have endured cort. shots, vioxx, celebrex, rigid orthotics, & pain! I've recently begun some 'phono' u/s & amalso frequenting a foot massage studio. I feel like I am getting better, I think! - but oh! - soooo slowly! Every little thing is a possible set back, it seems! Yesterday was one of those 'setback' days. I am a professional show horse trainer - & my dr. HAS gotten me thru the summer, busy season (only 1 more show to go this wkend!). But, my associate HAS truly gotten me thru the season in the business sense, with all the necessary work to keep a show string showing successfully! I have not ridden the last 5 weeks - in order to support the healing process. But, as you can guess yesterday was a set back day - I tried to ride -- riding only 4 horses in the previous 2 days & I ended up icing more than usual on the next day, after those rides! I imagine that my heels are taking a toll when I ride due to the 'heels acting as shock absorbers when riding' as well as Iron pressure, itself, & the dismount--even tho' I am cautious. I ask .... your advisement on the riding sport - when involved with this injury. I also must state that uneven barn 'terrain' (sawdust bedding in stalls & sawdust & sand mixture in riding arena - & a brick aisleway!) are not conducive to the injury either. Your thoughts & anyone else's would be appreciated & be a real support - yes, I am unhappy with this 'state of mind due to the feet & lack of riding!' Thanks!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis, ongoing!

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:35 (059533)

Are you using night splints? Is your achilles tendon tight? Straighten your knee and pull your foot back (up) towards your leg. How far past 90 degrees can your foot go toward your leg?
Ed

Rachael T. on 9/09/01 at 23:46 (059685)

Thank you for your prompt reply & for your advisement. In answer to your 1st question, No, I don't wear night splints. I asked my doctor about them & he said that it is difficult to sleep with them. I replied that it was difficult to walk with this pain. That was the end of our discussion regarding night splints. And, in regards to your 2nd question, I did the exercise you advised & had my husband check my flexibility level. On my left foot which is my bad foot - I can go about 8 degrees more than 90 & on the right foot, (the not so bad foot) I am capable of flexing 10 degrees beyond 90. What should be the 'flex degree level' for painfree, normal motion range? I also am now feeling some ankle pain & strain - wondering if it is the hard orthotics or otherwise. Thanks for your reply. I await anxiously to hear from you - so that I can continue my battle of the dreaded P.F.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/08/01 at 19:35 (059533)

Are you using night splints? Is your achilles tendon tight? Straighten your knee and pull your foot back (up) towards your leg. How far past 90 degrees can your foot go toward your leg?
Ed

Rachael T. on 9/09/01 at 23:46 (059685)

Thank you for your prompt reply & for your advisement. In answer to your 1st question, No, I don't wear night splints. I asked my doctor about them & he said that it is difficult to sleep with them. I replied that it was difficult to walk with this pain. That was the end of our discussion regarding night splints. And, in regards to your 2nd question, I did the exercise you advised & had my husband check my flexibility level. On my left foot which is my bad foot - I can go about 8 degrees more than 90 & on the right foot, (the not so bad foot) I am capable of flexing 10 degrees beyond 90. What should be the 'flex degree level' for painfree, normal motion range? I also am now feeling some ankle pain & strain - wondering if it is the hard orthotics or otherwise. Thanks for your reply. I await anxiously to hear from you - so that I can continue my battle of the dreaded P.F.