Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis - on going?

Posted by Rachael T on 9/08/01 at 08:38 (059458)

Hi - I posted on this board as well as 'ask the dr.' - but I must first say that I have read & appreciated this site since the dreaded P.F. has hit - late March/early April! I write for advisement as well as support & to 'vent!' I am a prof. show horse trainer who rides - or did ride lots! For the last 5 weeks or so, I've not ridden at all - till this past week when I had 2 rides on 2 consecutive days - only to 'pay for it' on the next day, which was yesterday -- which is why I am probably writing. I thought before that I wouldn't write - I'd chin up & bear it! Well, here I am! The heels are natural shock absorbers if kept in a 'down' position when riding - pressuring one's ball on the iron is also a necessity when riding; needless to say - the dismount is a bit of a jump landing, even though I do it cautiously! Adding all of that to the uneven barn terrain, sawdust bedding in stalls, sawdust & sand mixture in the riding arena, & a brick aisleway -- all not conducive to p.f. I guess I am wondering if anyone involves themselves in this sport w/ p.f. I am presently taking Vioxx, bromelain, gluc., taping per this site, & have begun u/s 'phono' - & foot massage. Your thoughts on a prognosis & any suggestions!!?!??
Thank you!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and horseriding - Denise A?

Nancy N on 9/08/01 at 09:20 (059462)

Rachael--

I am pretty sure that Dr. Z's ESWT coordinator, Denise, is into riding. I changed the subject of your post in the hope that she will see it and offer you some advice.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - on going?

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:59 (059479)

after going through all kinds of taping routines i got to believe Julie's two strip method is one you can stick with and works. the more elaborate they become the less you are to use them. the size and quality of the tape do matter so use 1 1/2' leuko tape (flesh colored if your are stylish or just plane unpretentious white if you are English).

john h on 9/08/01 at 11:01 (059480)

just what someone with PF needs is a horse to step on their foot. that hurts! as for me, get me back to my Harley Davidson with the wind blowing into my face.

Julie on 9/08/01 at 11:22 (059485)

It isn't 'my' method, John - I learned it here from our revered webmaster. Part 2 of the heel pain book tells it all. But I'm certainly am afficionado, and for the reason you say: the simpler the method (as long as it's effective) the more likely one is to persevere with it. And it's cheaper, too.

I happen to think white tape is VERY stylish!

Re: John has a hog?

Barbara TX on 9/08/01 at 13:14 (059497)

Do you really have a bike? What are we doing looking for airfares to N.J.? You could just pick me up in big D and we can bike there like hippies. Better yet, Judy can hitch out from SD, and we can form a posse. B.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:07 (059500)

heaven help my judy! scott will surely visit me with a foul for crediting you with his work of art.. ok scott you are given 'full' credit for my taping although not the flesh colored leuko tape which i found on my own.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:09 (059501)

after two near fatal crashes on my hogs i gave them up for flying which is a lot safer. never did have those leather pants.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:10 (059502)

after two near fatal crashes on my hogs i gave them up for flying which is a lot safer. never did have those leather pants. forgot to add that judy would look real good on the back seat of the hog with that rose tatto. what do you bring to the table barb?

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:27 (059505)

should have been heaven help me 'julie'. some sort of psycho thing with sissy judy.

Julie on 9/08/01 at 14:42 (059510)

But, I - Julie - surely get the credit for the Leuko tape.

john h on 9/08/01 at 15:35 (059515)

You are hereby given full credit for the 'white leuko tape'!

deniseA on 9/08/01 at 21:38 (059561)

Hey! I'm not a Dr. I just play one on TV. (Showing my age with that one.)

Seriously, one thing I was thinking about that may help with the dismount jump is stirrup extenders. You can saddlebag them until it's time to get off, throw them in your stirrup and climb down without the leap. They sell them in every catalog, State Line, etc. They drop you about 8 inches lower. You could probably step off at that level.

Great boots would be really important. Probably could get the inside of your riding boots taken care of by one of the Doc's here. Psssst, I happen to know a good one.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to add ESWT as a possible solution since we're among friends.

Anyway, that's all I have. Now I have to hand you back to the Dr.'s.

Enjoy your riding...as they say nothing warms the inside of a person more than the outside of a horse!
Denise

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:00 (059564)

re: confessions of a formerly young, somewhat irresponsible girl....I once rode a Really Big motorcycle from San Diego to Tulsa, OK. It was cold.

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:03 (059565)

I find the words 'psycho' 'sissy' and 'Judy' used together very alarming!
who you callin' sissy, sissy?

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:07 (059566)

Oh my goodness, Denise! Where have you been? We're missing you!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - on going?/Well John!!

Donna M on 9/09/01 at 00:33 (059576)

I knew you sounded 'cool'!! Should have known you had been a Harley owner!! We used to have a 'Sportster'!! (((Sigh))) Those were the days.

By the way I have searched for where you said you posted the addy for the leuko tape and have never found it. Do you mind putting it on again?
Thanks, Donna

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:03 (059618)

why am i not supprised you rode that hog judy? i can see barb on one also. scott no way. i see him on his trip in a Vet with the top down. I bet you do not remember the competition for the Harley? the Indian.

Re: Leuko Tape for Donna

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:09 (059619)

Donna: call GNR Health System Inc toll free at 1-800-523-0912 and ask for item D-BE76168, 15 yds 1 1/2' leuko tape at $7.75. It is a stylish flesh tone (julie)! also ask them for their catalog. it is very good. their website is http://www.ptcatalog.com

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 12:51 (059627)

I am afraid that your lack of leather pants is the deal-breaker. B.

john h on 9/09/01 at 13:58 (059639)

hey barb! i still have my leather flight jacket and pilots helmet. will that work? what will you wear? those birk bostons you wear are not going to get it with the biker chicks. we will both get beat up if you show up in those. i do not think they dig New Balance with or without orthotics either. afterthought: how about those 'hog' socks? i like that!

Nancy N on 9/08/01 at 09:20 (059462)

Rachael--

I am pretty sure that Dr. Z's ESWT coordinator, Denise, is into riding. I changed the subject of your post in the hope that she will see it and offer you some advice.

john h on 9/08/01 at 10:59 (059479)

after going through all kinds of taping routines i got to believe Julie's two strip method is one you can stick with and works. the more elaborate they become the less you are to use them. the size and quality of the tape do matter so use 1 1/2' leuko tape (flesh colored if your are stylish or just plane unpretentious white if you are English).

john h on 9/08/01 at 11:01 (059480)

just what someone with PF needs is a horse to step on their foot. that hurts! as for me, get me back to my Harley Davidson with the wind blowing into my face.

Julie on 9/08/01 at 11:22 (059485)

It isn't 'my' method, John - I learned it here from our revered webmaster. Part 2 of the heel pain book tells it all. But I'm certainly am afficionado, and for the reason you say: the simpler the method (as long as it's effective) the more likely one is to persevere with it. And it's cheaper, too.

I happen to think white tape is VERY stylish!

Barbara TX on 9/08/01 at 13:14 (059497)

Do you really have a bike? What are we doing looking for airfares to N.J.? You could just pick me up in big D and we can bike there like hippies. Better yet, Judy can hitch out from SD, and we can form a posse. B.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:07 (059500)

heaven help my judy! scott will surely visit me with a foul for crediting you with his work of art.. ok scott you are given 'full' credit for my taping although not the flesh colored leuko tape which i found on my own.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:09 (059501)

after two near fatal crashes on my hogs i gave them up for flying which is a lot safer. never did have those leather pants.

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:10 (059502)

after two near fatal crashes on my hogs i gave them up for flying which is a lot safer. never did have those leather pants. forgot to add that judy would look real good on the back seat of the hog with that rose tatto. what do you bring to the table barb?

john h on 9/08/01 at 14:27 (059505)

should have been heaven help me 'julie'. some sort of psycho thing with sissy judy.

Julie on 9/08/01 at 14:42 (059510)

But, I - Julie - surely get the credit for the Leuko tape.

john h on 9/08/01 at 15:35 (059515)

You are hereby given full credit for the 'white leuko tape'!

deniseA on 9/08/01 at 21:38 (059561)

Hey! I'm not a Dr. I just play one on TV. (Showing my age with that one.)

Seriously, one thing I was thinking about that may help with the dismount jump is stirrup extenders. You can saddlebag them until it's time to get off, throw them in your stirrup and climb down without the leap. They sell them in every catalog, State Line, etc. They drop you about 8 inches lower. You could probably step off at that level.

Great boots would be really important. Probably could get the inside of your riding boots taken care of by one of the Doc's here. Psssst, I happen to know a good one.

I suppose it doesn't hurt to add ESWT as a possible solution since we're among friends.

Anyway, that's all I have. Now I have to hand you back to the Dr.'s.

Enjoy your riding...as they say nothing warms the inside of a person more than the outside of a horse!
Denise

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:00 (059564)

re: confessions of a formerly young, somewhat irresponsible girl....I once rode a Really Big motorcycle from San Diego to Tulsa, OK. It was cold.

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:03 (059565)

I find the words 'psycho' 'sissy' and 'Judy' used together very alarming!
who you callin' sissy, sissy?

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 22:07 (059566)

Oh my goodness, Denise! Where have you been? We're missing you!

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - on going?/Well John!!

Donna M on 9/09/01 at 00:33 (059576)

I knew you sounded 'cool'!! Should have known you had been a Harley owner!! We used to have a 'Sportster'!! (((Sigh))) Those were the days.

By the way I have searched for where you said you posted the addy for the leuko tape and have never found it. Do you mind putting it on again?
Thanks, Donna

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:03 (059618)

why am i not supprised you rode that hog judy? i can see barb on one also. scott no way. i see him on his trip in a Vet with the top down. I bet you do not remember the competition for the Harley? the Indian.

Re: Leuko Tape for Donna

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:09 (059619)

Donna: call GNR Health System Inc toll free at 1-800-523-0912 and ask for item D-BE76168, 15 yds 1 1/2' leuko tape at $7.75. It is a stylish flesh tone (julie)! also ask them for their catalog. it is very good. their website is http://www.ptcatalog.com

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 12:51 (059627)

I am afraid that your lack of leather pants is the deal-breaker. B.

john h on 9/09/01 at 13:58 (059639)

hey barb! i still have my leather flight jacket and pilots helmet. will that work? what will you wear? those birk bostons you wear are not going to get it with the biker chicks. we will both get beat up if you show up in those. i do not think they dig New Balance with or without orthotics either. afterthought: how about those 'hog' socks? i like that!