Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

saying hello

Posted by Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 16:40 (059520)

Dear Friends,
Yes, after a little over a month of reading this board as often as I can, I do feel I have made friends! I have learned so much and admire so many of you for your courage and unselfishness during tough times! Your willingness to reach out and help others is inspiring.
Finding this site has given me much needed information and hope for the future. It is a great encouragement to me! I am a 49 year old first grade teacher, wife of a minister, and mother of two daughters, ages 15 and 20. Of course, like everyone, I have lead a busy life, on my feet much of the time.
I guess PF sneaked up on me (never heard of it or knew anything about it!). I taught a week of intersession at another school during a break last Oct. and wondered why my feet and legs hurt, particularly my left heel. (newer school than mine with concrete floors; I am fortunate to be in a little school -very old- with wooden floors - new building though in another year...) Anyway, after that week, my heel stopped hurting and I forgot about it. Then I taught another intersession week the first of June, and the pain hit hard and would not go away.
Going to my family dr. the next week, he grabbed my foot, pressed hard, almost bringing tears to my eyes, and asked, 'Does it hurt here?' He then said it was PF, gave me a 1-page paper about it, and said, 'You won't get over this anytime soon.' That was it.
I limped (literally) through the summer, buying DMX Walkers (found out here they are not the best!), trying shoe inserts from the drug store, and trying to be tough. School began for us Aug. 1, and by that Friday night I was desperate. Everyone in the family was gone here and there, and I had an unusual evening alone. I got on the internet and typed in plantar fasciitis and this site came up. From here I learned about Birks, and many other helpful things, and I made an appointment with a podiatrist an hour away. I am getting better with a combination of things although it is slow, and I guess I am scared every day that it will get worse again where every step is torture and a trip upstairs to the library at school seems llike climbing a mountain.
But you all (I guess you can tell I'm from KY; if you could only hear me talk! ha) have been an inspiration to me, and I wanted to tell you a little about myself and THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. Sorry this is so long. It takes me so long to say anything! Guess I'm used to talking to first graders... :-)
My best wishes to all of you!

Re: saying hello

wendyn on 9/08/01 at 17:43 (059524)

Suzanne - we are a rather 'long winded' bunch here - so long posts are fine!! Glad to hear that you're getting the information you need to help yourself get better.

john h on 9/08/01 at 19:06 (059527)

suzzanne: you join a long list of sweet people on this board. you will surely find help here. this is the right place to be and there is no better information than you will find here. we need another southern voice here as we seemed to be ounumbered by the northern/western ladies and gentleman. welcome!

Carmel M on 9/08/01 at 19:11 (059528)

Suzanne, I just wanted to say hi, and I'm sorry for your pain but glad you found this message board. You will find a ton of good information as well as great support here!

By the way, I love your name! I have a very good friend named Suzanne.

Take care.
Carmel

nancy s. on 9/08/01 at 19:13 (059529)

johh, you're too much -- you know that texas is full of pf'ers, and then we have you in arkansas not to mention our master, scott, from alabama. i believe i'm the lone mainer on the board.
welcome, suzanne!

john h on 9/08/01 at 19:57 (059544)

nancy s: you are the 'lone mainer' how about the 'lone ranger' and i will be tonto. i did not know judy sent you those cat socks? i have a very special southern sock for you.

nancy s. on 9/08/01 at 20:06 (059551)

ok john, you can be tonto to me the lone mainer as long as you do good stuff such as pull me out of quicksand, like tonto did for the lone ranger (or 'long' ranger, as i thought was the name for many years.)
judy didn't send me those cat sox -- she brought them with her as a gift when she and her handsome husband visited us last summer, along with a few other goodies, generous as she is. that's why i'm wearing them in that picture of me with judy beside me in my husband's recliner.
you certainly have me wondering about that special southern sock you have for me. in other words, does it hurt? i like socks on my FEET, john.
nancy

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 20:59 (059555)

Thanks, Wendy! I've enjoyed yur pictures and the funny posts about them! :-)

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 21:00 (059556)

Thank you, John! You all are a nice group of people. And, yes, this is the right place to be!

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 21:02 (059557)

Thanks, Nancy! No matter where we are from, we are united in our quest for feet that don't hurt, aren't we? :-)

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 21:52 (059562)

Suzanne, like you, for me finding this board a year and a half ago was a godsend. It has been one of the most effective tools I've utilized for continued improvement and I wish you the same kind of success! Stay consistent with your power over your own treatment and you'll be happy in the long run.
P.S. I have a 20-year-old son......hmmmmmm :)

Donna M on 9/09/01 at 00:56 (059577)

Hi Suzanne and welcome! I found this site a few months ago and I was well into my bout with PF. I have learned so much more here than I did from any of my dr. visits or PT sessions. You have definitely found the 'place to be'!!
I used to live in KY. We lived in Paducah for 3 years. Beautiful state, and we made some really nice friends there. We moved back home to Alabama where we will reside forever!
Glad to have you aboard, just sorry you have pain! Sounds like you're on the right track though. Keep us informed of your progress!

Julie on 9/09/01 at 01:56 (059585)

Hello Suzanne

What a nice introduction. Thanks for telling us about yourself. You are very very welcome here. I think your relief at finding heelspurs.com has been felt by us all. I know how lucky I was to stumble on it within a fortnight of the onset of my pf a year ago, and I'm convinced I'd have had a worse case and a longer healing time without that quick discovery. We all feel we've made friends, and it's nice to have a new friend on board now.

I'm in London, England (as you probably guessed from the use of 'fortnight' ). As one of the most wordy posters here (also a teacher - hmmm) I can reassure you that you'll never hear me complaining about a long post.

Watch out for that John H, though. He's our resident tease. Always pulling (gently, of course) on our achilles tendons.

Keep posting.

All the best, Julie

Re: i am also from kentucky ( louisville )

linda A on 9/09/01 at 07:02 (059595)

hello to my new Ky feet sufferer . where do you live in ky ? i don't post often , but i do enjoy reading the message boards . it helps me w/ my depression ( bi-polar ) . i just read john's adventure on hiking a mountain ( way to go john ! ). i wasn't a serious hiker . i use to hit the dirt trails in cherokee park every day carrying a lightweight backpack , which included the # 1 essential ( water--- john ). very hot and humid in ky . the trails are often used by mountain bikers ( did that also ) , so i was often jumping out of the way . my poor feet throbb too much at work , so i had give up my recreational activities . i don't think john could handle our KY moonshine , maybe our mint julip . what in the heck are the so called 'VAPORS ' .

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:37 (059596)

Linda, I live out in the country south of Elizabethtown. Sorry to hear that your feet throb at work and that you can't enjoy walking. I used to enjoy walking - nothing more than a mile - but it was fun. I am afraid to do that now, and I miss it.

I think I missed any comments on the 'vapors', and I may not be correct, but it seems I used to hear of 'a case of the vapors' meaning some lady was feeling faint - fanning herself no doubt and trying to be ladylike about it (as in the days of Gone With the Wind).

Hope your feet feel better soon!

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:46 (059598)

Thanks you, Donna, and also for your nice comments about KY. I haven't been to Alabama, but I hear it is a beautiful state!

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:48 (059599)

Thank you, Julie, and my best to you as well! London seems to me the place of storybook dreams and fairy tales. So nice to 'meet' someone from there!

Julie on 9/09/01 at 07:57 (059601)

Not to disillusion you, Suzanne, but London is really a great big noisy and very dirty city, with an awful lot of uninspired and uninspiring architecture mixed up with its former grandeur. It seemed quiet and civilized and beautiful to me after New York (where I grew up) but 40 years after my 'emigration' it has changed a lot for the worse, while - as I understand it - New York has changed for the better. Never mind (as they, or rather we, say here). I like it here, and am happy.

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 09:26 (059606)

Hello and ditto to the fact that this is a wonderful place to come , for not only advise on feet but also friendship which is also the best! It is a beautiful place to make long and caring friends, who greatly understand our plights! I seen you were in Ky, My son has just transfered to the college EKU there somewhere! It broke my heart as he is so far away he was about 45 min away at a small college here but visited Ky EKU and loved it and the people and the profs so he is spreading his wings there. He told me that people were wonderful and not as stuffy as his last college was. And told me we must come to see the beauty of Ky for a visit, I am looking foward to this soon, got to mend the feet first as he says Mom lots of walking lots.So Welcome and hope to see your posts .

JudyS on 9/09/01 at 11:00 (059613)

Linda - I'm so glad you're posting with your reading now - I know you'll get a lot out of it as we all have. What sort of work do you do that makes your feet throb? Is it impossible to sit down with your job?

Re: i am also from kentucky for Linda

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:27 (059625)

Linda you are very wrong about the moon shine. In south georgia it was delivered to your door like milk. my first experience with moon shine did not go well. i had heard it would burn very easily. i poured some in a plate and tried to set it afire. no luck after repeated tries. i picked up the plate and burned the devil out of myself as it had been burning very clear all along which is a characteristic of good moonshine. if you can drink moonshine then you pass the john h test for world class toughness. i assume it must be 200 proof. by the way it was delivered in 1 quart mayo jars. i also vistied a distillery in the south georgia swamps. i was looked upon with a lot of suspicion and was happy to get out of there anc continue with my fishing.

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 13:01 (059630)

Thanks for introducing yourself - as you can see we are delighted to have you, and the Southern woman contingent needs a little boost here! Welcome. B.

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:45 (059634)

Tammie, how are you doing? I am trying very hard to keep everyone and what they have written straight! Didn't you have surgery not too long ago? I hope you are noticing improvement with each passing day! (And if I have that mixed up, please forgive me!)

The daughter of my classroom assistant graduated from EKU last spring. It is a good school and is about two hours or so from where I live. I hope you feel up to traveling this fall to see him. Autumn is a nice time to visit KY for the beauty of the trees and to escape the heat and humidity of the summer!

Thanks for replying... :-)

Re: to Tammie

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:47 (059635)

How are you feeling, Tammie? I hope I don't have this mixed up (I have been trying to keep everyone and what they have written straight in my mind!) Didn't you have surgery recently? I hope you are seeing improvement with each passing day.

The daughter of my classroom assistant graduated from EKU last spring. It is a good school and about 2 hours from where I live. I hope you feel up to traveling to go see him this fall. Autumn is a nice time to visit with the beauty of the trees and the improved temperatures!

Take care, and thanks for replying...

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:52 (059636)

Thanks! I have always wanted to visit Texas - never been many places! Last spring I actually got to fly with my daughter to Mexico to visit a long-time friend from college. We flew from Louisville to Houston and then on to Mexico City. The size of Houston and its airport was staggering to me! It was beautiful to see the lights of the city as we flew in. Of course my daughter had to practically take me by the hand and lead me through it all, but we made it and had a wonderful time! Thankfully that was before PF showed up, so I had no trouble walking. And walk we did in that airport! :-)

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:55 (059638)

I guess I will always see things through a first graders eyes! :-) I still picture London in my mind from scenes I remember from the movie 'Mary Poppins'. While it has changed, I am glad that you are happy there!

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 17:10 (059651)

How neet, yes that is where he is going , he is a junior there and is studying teaching, he really likes it in fact i just had a call finally , he is sick and of course I had that urge to say lets go have to check and see just how sick he is. But I am proud to say I just said do u have a fever with the earaches hehehe and suggested a few things to him and said u may want to see if there is a campus dr. and have checked out. He sounded miserable , but then He has a girlfriend there who is checking on him. He assures me he will be fine! But none the less it is so hard before he was 45 min and could pop in with just a visit anytime. I am glad to hear it is a nice school he loves it and seems happy. I am looking foward to a visit and hope I can . Yes I did have surgery a little of a week ago, and am feeling much more perky. Hoping this is the answer I was searching for. Thank u .

Re: i work in a hospital .

linda A on 9/09/01 at 20:34 (059662)

i am anesthesia technician at audubon hospital in lou,ky . no, my hospital was not the famous one that was in the news recently w/ artifical heart or hand transplant . i was hoping that i would be a good candidate for artifical feet . my job requires constant standing . if i sit down to take a break , the feet hurt even more when i begin to walk . constant stretching of fascia . john --- i believe you remind me of my favorite actors , john wayne . rough & tough . the only drink i had coming out of those mason jars was tea . can't handle the liquor at least that is what the friends say . i am a cheap drunk . thanks for the info on the vapors .

wendyn on 9/08/01 at 17:43 (059524)

Suzanne - we are a rather 'long winded' bunch here - so long posts are fine!! Glad to hear that you're getting the information you need to help yourself get better.

john h on 9/08/01 at 19:06 (059527)

suzzanne: you join a long list of sweet people on this board. you will surely find help here. this is the right place to be and there is no better information than you will find here. we need another southern voice here as we seemed to be ounumbered by the northern/western ladies and gentleman. welcome!

Carmel M on 9/08/01 at 19:11 (059528)

Suzanne, I just wanted to say hi, and I'm sorry for your pain but glad you found this message board. You will find a ton of good information as well as great support here!

By the way, I love your name! I have a very good friend named Suzanne.

Take care.
Carmel

nancy s. on 9/08/01 at 19:13 (059529)

johh, you're too much -- you know that texas is full of pf'ers, and then we have you in arkansas not to mention our master, scott, from alabama. i believe i'm the lone mainer on the board.
welcome, suzanne!

john h on 9/08/01 at 19:57 (059544)

nancy s: you are the 'lone mainer' how about the 'lone ranger' and i will be tonto. i did not know judy sent you those cat socks? i have a very special southern sock for you.

nancy s. on 9/08/01 at 20:06 (059551)

ok john, you can be tonto to me the lone mainer as long as you do good stuff such as pull me out of quicksand, like tonto did for the lone ranger (or 'long' ranger, as i thought was the name for many years.)
judy didn't send me those cat sox -- she brought them with her as a gift when she and her handsome husband visited us last summer, along with a few other goodies, generous as she is. that's why i'm wearing them in that picture of me with judy beside me in my husband's recliner.
you certainly have me wondering about that special southern sock you have for me. in other words, does it hurt? i like socks on my FEET, john.
nancy

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 20:59 (059555)

Thanks, Wendy! I've enjoyed yur pictures and the funny posts about them! :-)

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 21:00 (059556)

Thank you, John! You all are a nice group of people. And, yes, this is the right place to be!

Suzanne D on 9/08/01 at 21:02 (059557)

Thanks, Nancy! No matter where we are from, we are united in our quest for feet that don't hurt, aren't we? :-)

JudyS on 9/08/01 at 21:52 (059562)

Suzanne, like you, for me finding this board a year and a half ago was a godsend. It has been one of the most effective tools I've utilized for continued improvement and I wish you the same kind of success! Stay consistent with your power over your own treatment and you'll be happy in the long run.
P.S. I have a 20-year-old son......hmmmmmm :)

Donna M on 9/09/01 at 00:56 (059577)

Hi Suzanne and welcome! I found this site a few months ago and I was well into my bout with PF. I have learned so much more here than I did from any of my dr. visits or PT sessions. You have definitely found the 'place to be'!!
I used to live in KY. We lived in Paducah for 3 years. Beautiful state, and we made some really nice friends there. We moved back home to Alabama where we will reside forever!
Glad to have you aboard, just sorry you have pain! Sounds like you're on the right track though. Keep us informed of your progress!

Julie on 9/09/01 at 01:56 (059585)

Hello Suzanne

What a nice introduction. Thanks for telling us about yourself. You are very very welcome here. I think your relief at finding heelspurs.com has been felt by us all. I know how lucky I was to stumble on it within a fortnight of the onset of my pf a year ago, and I'm convinced I'd have had a worse case and a longer healing time without that quick discovery. We all feel we've made friends, and it's nice to have a new friend on board now.

I'm in London, England (as you probably guessed from the use of 'fortnight' ). As one of the most wordy posters here (also a teacher - hmmm) I can reassure you that you'll never hear me complaining about a long post.

Watch out for that John H, though. He's our resident tease. Always pulling (gently, of course) on our achilles tendons.

Keep posting.

All the best, Julie

linda A on 9/09/01 at 07:02 (059595)

hello to my new Ky feet sufferer . where do you live in ky ? i don't post often , but i do enjoy reading the message boards . it helps me w/ my depression ( bi-polar ) . i just read john's adventure on hiking a mountain ( way to go john ! ). i wasn't a serious hiker . i use to hit the dirt trails in cherokee park every day carrying a lightweight backpack , which included the # 1 essential ( water--- john ). very hot and humid in ky . the trails are often used by mountain bikers ( did that also ) , so i was often jumping out of the way . my poor feet throbb too much at work , so i had give up my recreational activities . i don't think john could handle our KY moonshine , maybe our mint julip . what in the heck are the so called 'VAPORS ' .

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:37 (059596)

Linda, I live out in the country south of Elizabethtown. Sorry to hear that your feet throb at work and that you can't enjoy walking. I used to enjoy walking - nothing more than a mile - but it was fun. I am afraid to do that now, and I miss it.

I think I missed any comments on the 'vapors', and I may not be correct, but it seems I used to hear of 'a case of the vapors' meaning some lady was feeling faint - fanning herself no doubt and trying to be ladylike about it (as in the days of Gone With the Wind).

Hope your feet feel better soon!

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:46 (059598)

Thanks you, Donna, and also for your nice comments about KY. I haven't been to Alabama, but I hear it is a beautiful state!

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 07:48 (059599)

Thank you, Julie, and my best to you as well! London seems to me the place of storybook dreams and fairy tales. So nice to 'meet' someone from there!

Julie on 9/09/01 at 07:57 (059601)

Not to disillusion you, Suzanne, but London is really a great big noisy and very dirty city, with an awful lot of uninspired and uninspiring architecture mixed up with its former grandeur. It seemed quiet and civilized and beautiful to me after New York (where I grew up) but 40 years after my 'emigration' it has changed a lot for the worse, while - as I understand it - New York has changed for the better. Never mind (as they, or rather we, say here). I like it here, and am happy.

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 09:26 (059606)

Hello and ditto to the fact that this is a wonderful place to come , for not only advise on feet but also friendship which is also the best! It is a beautiful place to make long and caring friends, who greatly understand our plights! I seen you were in Ky, My son has just transfered to the college EKU there somewhere! It broke my heart as he is so far away he was about 45 min away at a small college here but visited Ky EKU and loved it and the people and the profs so he is spreading his wings there. He told me that people were wonderful and not as stuffy as his last college was. And told me we must come to see the beauty of Ky for a visit, I am looking foward to this soon, got to mend the feet first as he says Mom lots of walking lots.So Welcome and hope to see your posts .

JudyS on 9/09/01 at 11:00 (059613)

Linda - I'm so glad you're posting with your reading now - I know you'll get a lot out of it as we all have. What sort of work do you do that makes your feet throb? Is it impossible to sit down with your job?

Re: i am also from kentucky for Linda

john h on 9/09/01 at 12:27 (059625)

Linda you are very wrong about the moon shine. In south georgia it was delivered to your door like milk. my first experience with moon shine did not go well. i had heard it would burn very easily. i poured some in a plate and tried to set it afire. no luck after repeated tries. i picked up the plate and burned the devil out of myself as it had been burning very clear all along which is a characteristic of good moonshine. if you can drink moonshine then you pass the john h test for world class toughness. i assume it must be 200 proof. by the way it was delivered in 1 quart mayo jars. i also vistied a distillery in the south georgia swamps. i was looked upon with a lot of suspicion and was happy to get out of there anc continue with my fishing.

Barbara TX on 9/09/01 at 13:01 (059630)

Thanks for introducing yourself - as you can see we are delighted to have you, and the Southern woman contingent needs a little boost here! Welcome. B.

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:45 (059634)

Tammie, how are you doing? I am trying very hard to keep everyone and what they have written straight! Didn't you have surgery not too long ago? I hope you are noticing improvement with each passing day! (And if I have that mixed up, please forgive me!)

The daughter of my classroom assistant graduated from EKU last spring. It is a good school and is about two hours or so from where I live. I hope you feel up to traveling this fall to see him. Autumn is a nice time to visit KY for the beauty of the trees and to escape the heat and humidity of the summer!

Thanks for replying... :-)

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:47 (059635)

How are you feeling, Tammie? I hope I don't have this mixed up (I have been trying to keep everyone and what they have written straight in my mind!) Didn't you have surgery recently? I hope you are seeing improvement with each passing day.

The daughter of my classroom assistant graduated from EKU last spring. It is a good school and about 2 hours from where I live. I hope you feel up to traveling to go see him this fall. Autumn is a nice time to visit with the beauty of the trees and the improved temperatures!

Take care, and thanks for replying...

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:52 (059636)

Thanks! I have always wanted to visit Texas - never been many places! Last spring I actually got to fly with my daughter to Mexico to visit a long-time friend from college. We flew from Louisville to Houston and then on to Mexico City. The size of Houston and its airport was staggering to me! It was beautiful to see the lights of the city as we flew in. Of course my daughter had to practically take me by the hand and lead me through it all, but we made it and had a wonderful time! Thankfully that was before PF showed up, so I had no trouble walking. And walk we did in that airport! :-)

Suzanne D on 9/09/01 at 13:55 (059638)

I guess I will always see things through a first graders eyes! :-) I still picture London in my mind from scenes I remember from the movie 'Mary Poppins'. While it has changed, I am glad that you are happy there!

Tammie on 9/09/01 at 17:10 (059651)

How neet, yes that is where he is going , he is a junior there and is studying teaching, he really likes it in fact i just had a call finally , he is sick and of course I had that urge to say lets go have to check and see just how sick he is. But I am proud to say I just said do u have a fever with the earaches hehehe and suggested a few things to him and said u may want to see if there is a campus dr. and have checked out. He sounded miserable , but then He has a girlfriend there who is checking on him. He assures me he will be fine! But none the less it is so hard before he was 45 min and could pop in with just a visit anytime. I am glad to hear it is a nice school he loves it and seems happy. I am looking foward to a visit and hope I can . Yes I did have surgery a little of a week ago, and am feeling much more perky. Hoping this is the answer I was searching for. Thank u .

Re: i work in a hospital .

linda A on 9/09/01 at 20:34 (059662)

i am anesthesia technician at audubon hospital in lou,ky . no, my hospital was not the famous one that was in the news recently w/ artifical heart or hand transplant . i was hoping that i would be a good candidate for artifical feet . my job requires constant standing . if i sit down to take a break , the feet hurt even more when i begin to walk . constant stretching of fascia . john --- i believe you remind me of my favorite actors , john wayne . rough & tough . the only drink i had coming out of those mason jars was tea . can't handle the liquor at least that is what the friends say . i am a cheap drunk . thanks for the info on the vapors .