Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis - Ongoing!

Posted by Rachael T. on 9/09/01 at 07:45 (059597)

Thank you for your prompt reply. I had my husband 'check' my flexion last night while I straightened my leg & lifted it -- My left foot (my bad foot) flexion is about 8 degrees beyond the 90 degree mark & the right foot is about 10 degrees beyond 90. I have not ever worn night splints; when I asked my doctor about them, he negated, saying that sleeping w/ them was nearly impossible. But, I replied that walking w/ this pain is nearly impossible too; he didn't respond to that. I regularly roll a pop can when I sit at the pc; I stretch against the wall with my FootFlexed onto the wall & elevated & lean my hip towards the wall. (Can I be doing too much stretching? - since I am still in the barn & on my feet?) When I do these exercises, I do feel the stretch in my calf; but are you recommending another particular stretch for my achilles tendon? Please advise & I will follow that stretch routine as well. I thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Plantar Fasciitis - Ongoing!

Pauline on 9/09/01 at 20:20 (059661)

Racheal,
I think it was Julie that recommended the stairs to stretch the achilles tendon. It was not the one where you let your heels drop off the step, but where you stand on one leg while putting the other leg straight out on a step that is at a comfortable level, flex your foot toward the body and bend forward from the chest. I don't know if I have it exactly correct and I am hoping that Julie would see this post and correct it or add to it. I have been using this stretch and like it alot. Please Julie could you post this stretch method again for Recheal. I'm sure others also have their favorite stretches, but I like this one and use it often before climbing up the stairs. It's a reminder to do it.

RACHAEL T. on 9/09/01 at 23:39 (059684)

Thanks for the stretch - I shall try it immed upon leaving the pc! I as others with the dreaded P.F. am anxious to do anything to support healing.

Julie on 9/10/01 at 02:06 (059688)

Rachael, please don't try it just yet. I'll post the instructions later this morning when I have more time to search for my previous post and copy them. Pauline gave them from memory and they aren't complete or fully accurate. The stretch is essentially one for the hamstrings and lower back, not for the achilles tendon, and I gave it specifically for John H who was doing a different hamstring stretch that I was afraid might give him other problems.

Pauline, sorry: I know you were hoping to be helpful, but this is a prime example of why, as I've always said, giving instructions for exercise on the board is not a good idea! You can't know how they will be interpreted and used. At least instructions in a book, if they are good, or that have a permanent home on a website, are there, they don't vanish into cyberspace.

Julie on 9/10/01 at 03:28 (059692)

Hi Rachael

If you go to the Treatments board, and scroll down to the thread than begins 'Glenn - Breathing, Stretching' you'll find the hamstring stretch I told John about about half way down. You need to read his post to which mine was a reply.

There is no harm in your doing it, as long as you are careful to keep your pelvis and spine aligned, and work slowly and carefully, but it is not a calf muscle/achilles tendon stretch.

Do be careful with all weight-bearing stretching, Rachael. I believe that when you are dealing with injured tissues, non-weight-bearing exercise is better.

You were discouraged from trying a night splint, but there is one that is reasonably comfortable: the N'ice Stretch. Click on the link right here, or on the Products page. It has soft padding, and people who have it think it's excellent. Its function is to maintain the foot in a gently dorsiflexed position all night, so that the calf muscles and achilles tendon don't contract, as they normally do during sleep. Over a period of time, with consistent use, it can be greatly helpful.

Pauline on 9/09/01 at 20:20 (059661)

Racheal,
I think it was Julie that recommended the stairs to stretch the achilles tendon. It was not the one where you let your heels drop off the step, but where you stand on one leg while putting the other leg straight out on a step that is at a comfortable level, flex your foot toward the body and bend forward from the chest. I don't know if I have it exactly correct and I am hoping that Julie would see this post and correct it or add to it. I have been using this stretch and like it alot. Please Julie could you post this stretch method again for Recheal. I'm sure others also have their favorite stretches, but I like this one and use it often before climbing up the stairs. It's a reminder to do it.

RACHAEL T. on 9/09/01 at 23:39 (059684)

Thanks for the stretch - I shall try it immed upon leaving the pc! I as others with the dreaded P.F. am anxious to do anything to support healing.

Julie on 9/10/01 at 02:06 (059688)

Rachael, please don't try it just yet. I'll post the instructions later this morning when I have more time to search for my previous post and copy them. Pauline gave them from memory and they aren't complete or fully accurate. The stretch is essentially one for the hamstrings and lower back, not for the achilles tendon, and I gave it specifically for John H who was doing a different hamstring stretch that I was afraid might give him other problems.

Pauline, sorry: I know you were hoping to be helpful, but this is a prime example of why, as I've always said, giving instructions for exercise on the board is not a good idea! You can't know how they will be interpreted and used. At least instructions in a book, if they are good, or that have a permanent home on a website, are there, they don't vanish into cyberspace.

Julie on 9/10/01 at 03:28 (059692)

Hi Rachael

If you go to the Treatments board, and scroll down to the thread than begins 'Glenn - Breathing, Stretching' you'll find the hamstring stretch I told John about about half way down. You need to read his post to which mine was a reply.

There is no harm in your doing it, as long as you are careful to keep your pelvis and spine aligned, and work slowly and carefully, but it is not a calf muscle/achilles tendon stretch.

Do be careful with all weight-bearing stretching, Rachael. I believe that when you are dealing with injured tissues, non-weight-bearing exercise is better.

You were discouraged from trying a night splint, but there is one that is reasonably comfortable: the N'ice Stretch. Click on the link right here, or on the Products page. It has soft padding, and people who have it think it's excellent. Its function is to maintain the foot in a gently dorsiflexed position all night, so that the calf muscles and achilles tendon don't contract, as they normally do during sleep. Over a period of time, with consistent use, it can be greatly helpful.