Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Lateral Column Syndrome

Posted by Pam F on 9/10/01 at 09:23 (059707)

I had PF release w/removal of the heel spur in June. I have now developed lateral column syndrome. How long does this usually take to cure? My doctor told me approx. 2 weeks -- is this adequate time? I have severe shooting pain after walking any length of time/distance. I have to be on my feet from 8-16 hours a day.

Re: Lateral Column Syndrome

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/01 at 15:08 (059892)

Your doctor has given you a good estimate. Depends on how agressively you treat the problem. Things may progress a bit slow due to your need to be on your feet for so many hours.
Ed

Stephanie A on 9/14/01 at 16:22 (060353)

Pam,
Please read the message I posted to Mary J, I think it will help.
Good Luck

Re: Lateral Column Syndrome==to Stephanie A

Pam F on 9/14/01 at 19:29 (060381)

I can't find the message that you are relating to. What is the date and the re: thank you pam

Stephanie A on 9/16/01 at 09:28 (060565)

here is a copy of it

Message Number 60352

Re: Lateral Column Syndrome View Thread
Posted by Stephanie A on 9/14/01 at 16:20

Mary J,
I think you should go back to the doctor, make them do something. You don't want to end up in a cast like me. I went back complaining of pain like yours, the doctor who did the surgery said 'it is going to hurt it will take time to heal' and said it was normal pain, haha. 4 weeks of pain before the other doctor told me what was wrong (cuboid syndrome also called lateral column syndrome) He did a myofascia release (stretching) it felt better for a couple days. Went back still pain he gave me a cortisone shot and taped it, I still could only be on it 35 minutes until I could not take the pain, Wednesday he put it back in a cast and said no weight bearing for a least 2 weeks, he said it could take 4-6 weeks to get better.
He said he will not remove the cast until I can walk with no pain in that area.
Please get this taken care of before it gets real bad.
Good Luck

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/11/01 at 15:08 (059892)

Your doctor has given you a good estimate. Depends on how agressively you treat the problem. Things may progress a bit slow due to your need to be on your feet for so many hours.
Ed

Stephanie A on 9/14/01 at 16:22 (060353)

Pam,
Please read the message I posted to Mary J, I think it will help.
Good Luck

Pam F on 9/14/01 at 19:29 (060381)

I can't find the message that you are relating to. What is the date and the re: thank you pam

Stephanie A on 9/16/01 at 09:28 (060565)

here is a copy of it

Message Number 60352

Re: Lateral Column Syndrome View Thread
Posted by Stephanie A on 9/14/01 at 16:20

Mary J,
I think you should go back to the doctor, make them do something. You don't want to end up in a cast like me. I went back complaining of pain like yours, the doctor who did the surgery said 'it is going to hurt it will take time to heal' and said it was normal pain, haha. 4 weeks of pain before the other doctor told me what was wrong (cuboid syndrome also called lateral column syndrome) He did a myofascia release (stretching) it felt better for a couple days. Went back still pain he gave me a cortisone shot and taped it, I still could only be on it 35 minutes until I could not take the pain, Wednesday he put it back in a cast and said no weight bearing for a least 2 weeks, he said it could take 4-6 weeks to get better.
He said he will not remove the cast until I can walk with no pain in that area.
Please get this taken care of before it gets real bad.
Good Luck