Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My chronic Plantar Fasciitis

Posted by Michael Greene on 9/10/01 at 10:04 (059713)

Help! Anyone!

Two years ago I hade an acute Plantar fascia injury while running on the street. Here I am.. two years later.. still with considerable pain as part of my everyday life. No one has been able to help me. All I've had done is get an orthotic made by a local Orthopod (it was a terible feeling thing.. hard as a rock under my foot, and I threw it away after two weeks), one cortisone shot (good for two weeks only, then full discomfort resumed), 7 neuromuscular massage sessions (which initially appeared to be working.. especially the more she focused on my calf, however, the discomfort refused to completely go away), night splints (only temporary relief), Advil & Naprosyn (no major benefit), and DMSO (still not giving any relief), taping under my arch (helps somewhat during the day, but not a cure). I've just recently spoken to an Olympian runner here in Charlotte who had Orthotripsy (sp?) performed in Canada with 100% success, and my Orthopod, who has just prescribed surgical Plantar Fascia 'release' process (which this fine web site and many other areas of advice tell me NOT to do). I am now officially desperate. Something tells me I need a good Podiatrist.. not an Orthopod. and that a cure should still be expected through 'other' methods, but what they could be I simply do not know. Someone, please, what are my best options at this point??? I will be forever in the debt of whomever gives me the answer. By the way, I am a former athlete, 49 yrs old, weight 235 lbs, in excellent health, who works out regularly at the gym and loves to run(before)/do cardio work. Please tell me I will someday be able to walk around Disneyworld with my 6 year old daughter again! Thanks, Mike

Re: My chronic Plantar Fasciitis

Julie on 9/10/01 at 11:11 (059722)

Hello Mike, and welcome to heelspurs.com. While you're waiting for one of the doctors to respond to your post, have a good look at the heel pain book (print it out and read it carefully, I mean). It will give you a lot of information about PF and ways of treating it, and you'll get a better idea of your options from it.

You definitely need a good podiatrist. Don't even think about surgery until you've been properly examined and diagnosed and have persevered with a sensible healing plan for at least six months. Even then, a non-invasive option that should be considered first is ESWT (which you can read about on this site).

There is no quick fix. Your first step is to find that good podiatrist. Make sure s/he evaluates your gait. If you have biomechanical faults, you may need orthotics (and they should feel good and help you, not like your hard-as-a-rock pair - that was a pity). If taping helps, the chances are orthotics will.

As an athlete, you know about shoes: you need good, supportive, stable ones, stiff in the shank, with a low heel. Never go barefoot.

Keep in touch here: there are lots of people who have been through what you are going through and can give you help and support.

JeanB on 9/10/01 at 18:47 (059780)

Hi, Mike. I have had 4 pairs of custom made orthotics and the ones that worked the best for me were the SOFTEST--made on the spot by a professor at Northern Arizona University. He is considered an expert in foot pain and gait analysis and he said in order for the PF to heal, the footbed had to be in constant contact with an arch support that molded to the foot, but didn't try to correct anything or push up on the PF. Then after the PF heels, the arch support can be modified to correct over-pronation, etc. I also have found that TRIAD arch supports, found at Walgreens, also worked well. I have recently purchased a new pair of NIKE lite women's cross trainers which have a nice wide toe box, and a curved shape which, coupled with the TRIAD arch supports, provides me with great support without pain. Vioxx is a miracle drug for me as it reduced my pain level considerably and allowed me to properly stretch. Icing the affected area is also beneficial. Definitely read the PF Book--very helpful. Stay off your feet whenever possible--the book is right--crawl if necessary when you are in the house--or use crutches. I truly believe you will get well, but it is a long, slow, and sometimes painful process. Good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 06:23 (059833)

Hi,

We have been using ESWT for chronic heel spur pain for almost two years now . We find it very effective for patients like you who have tried conservative treatments without relief and are looking at surgery. If you
would like addtional information about our ESWT program please e-mail
our coordinators at helpheel@bee.net or myself at footcare@home.com

Julie on 9/10/01 at 11:11 (059722)

Hello Mike, and welcome to heelspurs.com. While you're waiting for one of the doctors to respond to your post, have a good look at the heel pain book (print it out and read it carefully, I mean). It will give you a lot of information about PF and ways of treating it, and you'll get a better idea of your options from it.

You definitely need a good podiatrist. Don't even think about surgery until you've been properly examined and diagnosed and have persevered with a sensible healing plan for at least six months. Even then, a non-invasive option that should be considered first is ESWT (which you can read about on this site).

There is no quick fix. Your first step is to find that good podiatrist. Make sure s/he evaluates your gait. If you have biomechanical faults, you may need orthotics (and they should feel good and help you, not like your hard-as-a-rock pair - that was a pity). If taping helps, the chances are orthotics will.

As an athlete, you know about shoes: you need good, supportive, stable ones, stiff in the shank, with a low heel. Never go barefoot.

Keep in touch here: there are lots of people who have been through what you are going through and can give you help and support.

JeanB on 9/10/01 at 18:47 (059780)

Hi, Mike. I have had 4 pairs of custom made orthotics and the ones that worked the best for me were the SOFTEST--made on the spot by a professor at Northern Arizona University. He is considered an expert in foot pain and gait analysis and he said in order for the PF to heal, the footbed had to be in constant contact with an arch support that molded to the foot, but didn't try to correct anything or push up on the PF. Then after the PF heels, the arch support can be modified to correct over-pronation, etc. I also have found that TRIAD arch supports, found at Walgreens, also worked well. I have recently purchased a new pair of NIKE lite women's cross trainers which have a nice wide toe box, and a curved shape which, coupled with the TRIAD arch supports, provides me with great support without pain. Vioxx is a miracle drug for me as it reduced my pain level considerably and allowed me to properly stretch. Icing the affected area is also beneficial. Definitely read the PF Book--very helpful. Stay off your feet whenever possible--the book is right--crawl if necessary when you are in the house--or use crutches. I truly believe you will get well, but it is a long, slow, and sometimes painful process. Good luck.

Dr. Zuckerman on 9/11/01 at 06:23 (059833)

Hi,

We have been using ESWT for chronic heel spur pain for almost two years now . We find it very effective for patients like you who have tried conservative treatments without relief and are looking at surgery. If you
would like addtional information about our ESWT program please e-mail
our coordinators at helpheel@bee.net or myself at footcare@home.com