Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

My so-called night splint came today

Posted by Carmel M on 9/10/01 at 12:46 (059731)

What a JOKE!!!! It's a purple plastic piece of JUNK!!! I'm very disappointed, because the lady who picked it out is an RN. She works for the medical supply store where I ordered the night splint. She said 'Oh yes, I'm sure this is the one your doctor wants you to have.' And it was hard to really see what it looked like in the black and white photo in the book.

She already told me (at the time I ordered it) that they won't take it back because it was a 'special order.' Now granted, my insurance picked up their 80% but I still had to pay 20 dollars for this junk! Oh yea, it stays on but my foot slides up in it so my ankle is no longer at 90 degrees, so what the hell good it that!!!!!!!!!!

I plan on going back and talk to the RN and show her the device (she wasn't there when I picked it up) and suggest to her that she not recommend this type anymore. I'll also see if the insurance will pay for another one.

Sorry for the attidude in this post, but I'm mad. I was really going to give the splint a good try...at this point I'll give anything a try.

Take care,
Carmel

Re: My so-called night splint came today

Carmen H on 9/10/01 at 13:08 (059732)

My night splint is a piece of plastic as well and my foot slides a little bit but it still has been helpful....did you give it a try for a couple nights to see if it helped your foot at all? Even to keep it somewhat stretched has been beneficial. Of course pursue your return but maybe you can use it until you get another?
Sorry you are having trouble....you can bitch all you want to us.

Valerie S on 9/10/01 at 16:14 (059755)

Hi.
I understand your frustration...
I also have had a hard time adjusting to my night splint. Mine is plastic with foam cushions and velcro straps. If I strap my ankle in too tightly, my circulation gets cut off because my foot wants to slide up in the night splint. I don't know if any of these contraptions are going to be comfortable when you first get them.

You might want to try experimenting with ways of getting the thing to fit you better, since they are so generic and stiff by nature. Some things that I have tried that have helped me a little: I used my orthotic in the night splint. (I can't stand to walk on the things, but they hold my foot in place for the night...) Someone else told me to also try a rolled up sock. I have put it under my arch, and also tried it under my heel. I also have a wrap-around ice pack that I use with it too.

I have found that it is impossible to keep my foot crammed all the way down into this thing, and my foot ends up at less than a 90 degree angle for the night, but I do notice that without it, my feet want to go the other way. And even on nights like last one, when I ripped the thing off after only a few hours, that my mornings are easier.

I truly understand your frustration. I am now celebrating my one year anniversary with PF, and will also try anything. If you really mean that, don't give up on the night splint just yet. It may take a couple of weeks or more to be able to get through the night with it. You say your ankle slides up... is there an ankle strap that holds your foot in place? If not, maybe you can use an ace wrap or something similar to make it fit you better. After paying my insurance portion for the $156.00 night splint I have, I wish I had another one too... one lesson that I am learning with PF is patience and having to adjust.

Good luck. I hope you can get a refund, but if not, see if you can still make it work.

Your friend, Val.

Re: To Carmen and Valerie

Carmel M on 9/10/01 at 17:36 (059771)

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement and helpful hints. I guess before I go storming back to the store, I really should give it a try. I had this idea in my head that once your foot was in the night splint it shouldn't move around (slide up) in the thing.

It is so smooth inside and out that I might have to wrap my foot with an ace bandage to get the splint to stay put. It has three straps, one around the ball of the foot, one above the ankle, and one at the calf. Oh, and it has an open heel area...it's really kinda weird, but I will give it a try...

Thanks again.
Carmel

Max K on 9/10/01 at 22:07 (059805)

I have used three different types of night splints, including the Strassburg Sock (http://www.thesock.com/). None of the designs I tried were very comfortable. In order to achieve and maintain dorsiflexion in a night splint, the foot must be pushed into the splint and held there with light but steady pressure. This pressure is against the top area of the foot, pushing it down into the splint. It's actually more than just light pressure, because during sleep there may be fairly strong involuntary plantarflexion, just like nightly tooth grinding. Often I would wake up in the morning and see that my night splints were quite loose and lost most of the dorsiflexion that they had only hours before. For these reasons, it is important that night splints distribute the pressure EVENLY OVER A LARGE AREA on top of the foot. But I haven't found any night splint yet that can do that. Instead, there are all kinds of variations on the concept of distributing the pressure UNEVENLY OVER A SMALL AREA like a few straps (padded or not) that dig into the top of your foot and interfere with circulation after an hour or two. The night splints I wear now are better than most, and they are top quality, but they still tend to interfere with circulation: http://bossortho.com/Royce/night_splint.html . I think I might have to make my own fiberglass night splints, according to these instructions http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/06jun/petrizzi.htm , in order to get a customized fit that is effective in maintaining a more or less right-angle dorsiflexion through the night without causing uncomfortable pressure spots that cause circulation problems.

Carmel M on 9/12/01 at 09:28 (059954)

Thanks Max,
I did wear it for one night (well part of the night) and found it wasn't too bad to sleep in, just didn't keep my foot dorsiflexed very well. My splint is literally a smooth piece of plastic with no padding and three velcro straps, one at the top of the foot, one at the ankle area and one at the calf area.

Anyway I was not in the mood to try it last night, so I'll give it another try tonight, and thanks for the links...I will check them out.

Take care.
Carmel

JeanB on 9/12/01 at 13:33 (059981)

After reading all the complaints about night splints on this site, I devised my own version using my full length soft orthotics and an ace bandage. I am able to dosiflex my foot to 90 degrees, place the arch support against the bottom of the foot, and then wrap in place with the ace bandage, criss-crossing from arch of foot to above ankle in kind of a figure 8. Much more comfortable than hard plastic, can wear all night, can even walk to bathroom without pain since arch support in place on foot.

Carmen H on 9/10/01 at 13:08 (059732)

My night splint is a piece of plastic as well and my foot slides a little bit but it still has been helpful....did you give it a try for a couple nights to see if it helped your foot at all? Even to keep it somewhat stretched has been beneficial. Of course pursue your return but maybe you can use it until you get another?
Sorry you are having trouble....you can bitch all you want to us.

Valerie S on 9/10/01 at 16:14 (059755)

Hi.
I understand your frustration...
I also have had a hard time adjusting to my night splint. Mine is plastic with foam cushions and velcro straps. If I strap my ankle in too tightly, my circulation gets cut off because my foot wants to slide up in the night splint. I don't know if any of these contraptions are going to be comfortable when you first get them.

You might want to try experimenting with ways of getting the thing to fit you better, since they are so generic and stiff by nature. Some things that I have tried that have helped me a little: I used my orthotic in the night splint. (I can't stand to walk on the things, but they hold my foot in place for the night...) Someone else told me to also try a rolled up sock. I have put it under my arch, and also tried it under my heel. I also have a wrap-around ice pack that I use with it too.

I have found that it is impossible to keep my foot crammed all the way down into this thing, and my foot ends up at less than a 90 degree angle for the night, but I do notice that without it, my feet want to go the other way. And even on nights like last one, when I ripped the thing off after only a few hours, that my mornings are easier.

I truly understand your frustration. I am now celebrating my one year anniversary with PF, and will also try anything. If you really mean that, don't give up on the night splint just yet. It may take a couple of weeks or more to be able to get through the night with it. You say your ankle slides up... is there an ankle strap that holds your foot in place? If not, maybe you can use an ace wrap or something similar to make it fit you better. After paying my insurance portion for the $156.00 night splint I have, I wish I had another one too... one lesson that I am learning with PF is patience and having to adjust.

Good luck. I hope you can get a refund, but if not, see if you can still make it work.

Your friend, Val.

Re: To Carmen and Valerie

Carmel M on 9/10/01 at 17:36 (059771)

Thank you both for your kind words of encouragement and helpful hints. I guess before I go storming back to the store, I really should give it a try. I had this idea in my head that once your foot was in the night splint it shouldn't move around (slide up) in the thing.

It is so smooth inside and out that I might have to wrap my foot with an ace bandage to get the splint to stay put. It has three straps, one around the ball of the foot, one above the ankle, and one at the calf. Oh, and it has an open heel area...it's really kinda weird, but I will give it a try...

Thanks again.
Carmel

Max K on 9/10/01 at 22:07 (059805)

I have used three different types of night splints, including the Strassburg Sock (http://www.thesock.com/). None of the designs I tried were very comfortable. In order to achieve and maintain dorsiflexion in a night splint, the foot must be pushed into the splint and held there with light but steady pressure. This pressure is against the top area of the foot, pushing it down into the splint. It's actually more than just light pressure, because during sleep there may be fairly strong involuntary plantarflexion, just like nightly tooth grinding. Often I would wake up in the morning and see that my night splints were quite loose and lost most of the dorsiflexion that they had only hours before. For these reasons, it is important that night splints distribute the pressure EVENLY OVER A LARGE AREA on top of the foot. But I haven't found any night splint yet that can do that. Instead, there are all kinds of variations on the concept of distributing the pressure UNEVENLY OVER A SMALL AREA like a few straps (padded or not) that dig into the top of your foot and interfere with circulation after an hour or two. The night splints I wear now are better than most, and they are top quality, but they still tend to interfere with circulation: http://bossortho.com/Royce/night_splint.html . I think I might have to make my own fiberglass night splints, according to these instructions http://www.physsportsmed.com/issues/1998/06jun/petrizzi.htm , in order to get a customized fit that is effective in maintaining a more or less right-angle dorsiflexion through the night without causing uncomfortable pressure spots that cause circulation problems.

Carmel M on 9/12/01 at 09:28 (059954)

Thanks Max,
I did wear it for one night (well part of the night) and found it wasn't too bad to sleep in, just didn't keep my foot dorsiflexed very well. My splint is literally a smooth piece of plastic with no padding and three velcro straps, one at the top of the foot, one at the ankle area and one at the calf area.

Anyway I was not in the mood to try it last night, so I'll give it another try tonight, and thanks for the links...I will check them out.

Take care.
Carmel

JeanB on 9/12/01 at 13:33 (059981)

After reading all the complaints about night splints on this site, I devised my own version using my full length soft orthotics and an ace bandage. I am able to dosiflex my foot to 90 degrees, place the arch support against the bottom of the foot, and then wrap in place with the ace bandage, criss-crossing from arch of foot to above ankle in kind of a figure 8. Much more comfortable than hard plastic, can wear all night, can even walk to bathroom without pain since arch support in place on foot.