Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

giving up

Posted by Dona on 9/10/01 at 17:34 (059770)

I was scheduled for my dr's visit this afternoon. I took off early from work and waited for 1 1/2 hours before asking if I got called soon, would I be out of there by 5:30pm? (My dtr has religon class at 6:00 and she needed supper still.) They said 'probably not.' Listening to other patients while I waited, I realized that an hour to an hour-and-a-half waits are typical at this office, and usually run longer than that. My previous dr didn't do much else besides prescribe Vioxx and offer cortisone shots. It's been 9 months for the foot problem (and 2 years for the knee problems) with me being no closer to relief than I was. I am tired of trying to find a dr who feels the need to help the patient (me). So, I've decided to feel sorry for myself tonight, and then get on with life tomorrow. Nothing will change, so I best figure out how to live with this the best I can.
Good luck to everyone....this place is the only place I've been that actually gave me some answers. I truly appreciate that.
Dona

Re: giving up

Carol C on 9/10/01 at 19:42 (059793)

I take it you had a SCHEDULED appointment? I find it absolutely UNACCEPTABLE for a Physician to CONSISTENTLY run that late for his
or her SCHEDULED Appointments. I worked in the Emergency Medical
System for 20 years and I will be the first to understand that
Doctor's will sometimes have 'Emergencies' arise, but that is typically
the exception rather than the norm. I would find me a good doctor, and
make it clear when I made my appointment for my initial evaluation, that
my time is valuable to me and that unless it was an unusual circumstance,
If the doctor was going to be running more than 15-10 minutes behind in
their schedule, I would expect them to call me prior to my appointment
time and verify that I would have time to wait or offer to reschedule.
My Orthopedic surgeon is very busy and well respected in this town,
and I have never waited more than 15 minutes past my schedule appointment
time to see him. I respect my Physician and his time, and he likewise
respects his patients and their time. Like I said, emergencies do happen,
and tolerance is necessary in those cases, but if your doctor consistently
makes his patients wait like this, he does not deserve their respect or
business. Fortunately for the patients, there are good physicians out
there and your do have a choice! Speak up and be heard. Do not just
sit back and take it!!!!!!

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:41 (059808)

Dona - did you ever get to see the doctor?

I had an OB/Gyn who was notorious for running 1 to 2 hours late. Although - in his case I realize that babies don't arrive during scheduled times.

The way I've dealt with this is to try to always schedule the very first appointment in the morning. If I have a later in the day appointment, I call before I leave work or home to see if they're running on time. I also make sure that I get the name of the person I speak to. It's not fool proof - but it does help. There have been times where they've told me to hold off and come in an hour later.

Julie on 9/11/01 at 02:17 (059823)

Please don'e give up, Dona. There are good doctors and bad doctors, and that's life. Pick yourself up from this disappointment (quite unacceptable, as Carol said) and start over again with another doctor. There are good ones out there, there really are.

Carol C on 9/10/01 at 19:42 (059793)

I take it you had a SCHEDULED appointment? I find it absolutely UNACCEPTABLE for a Physician to CONSISTENTLY run that late for his
or her SCHEDULED Appointments. I worked in the Emergency Medical
System for 20 years and I will be the first to understand that
Doctor's will sometimes have 'Emergencies' arise, but that is typically
the exception rather than the norm. I would find me a good doctor, and
make it clear when I made my appointment for my initial evaluation, that
my time is valuable to me and that unless it was an unusual circumstance,
If the doctor was going to be running more than 15-10 minutes behind in
their schedule, I would expect them to call me prior to my appointment
time and verify that I would have time to wait or offer to reschedule.
My Orthopedic surgeon is very busy and well respected in this town,
and I have never waited more than 15 minutes past my schedule appointment
time to see him. I respect my Physician and his time, and he likewise
respects his patients and their time. Like I said, emergencies do happen,
and tolerance is necessary in those cases, but if your doctor consistently
makes his patients wait like this, he does not deserve their respect or
business. Fortunately for the patients, there are good physicians out
there and your do have a choice! Speak up and be heard. Do not just
sit back and take it!!!!!!

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:41 (059808)

Dona - did you ever get to see the doctor?

I had an OB/Gyn who was notorious for running 1 to 2 hours late. Although - in his case I realize that babies don't arrive during scheduled times.

The way I've dealt with this is to try to always schedule the very first appointment in the morning. If I have a later in the day appointment, I call before I leave work or home to see if they're running on time. I also make sure that I get the name of the person I speak to. It's not fool proof - but it does help. There have been times where they've told me to hold off and come in an hour later.

Julie on 9/11/01 at 02:17 (059823)

Please don'e give up, Dona. There are good doctors and bad doctors, and that's life. Pick yourself up from this disappointment (quite unacceptable, as Carol said) and start over again with another doctor. There are good ones out there, there really are.