Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and MS

Posted by -- T on 9/10/01 at 19:17 (059787)

TTS and MS:
There was a post a while back about the relationship between TTS and MS. I have been curious about that myself. I have not been diagnosed with MS but my aunt has it; is a genetic? And, how do I find out if I have MS? Previous posts mentioned that TTS and MS can mimic each other. Does anyone know how?

Re: TTS and MS

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:36 (059807)

T, I don't know a whole lot about MS...I did some research at one point because there was some concern that I may have it. MS can apparently mimic TTS symptoms...but I guess the biggest thing to watch for is whether or not you are having symptoms in another part of your body. Also - if your overall health is good, that is more reassuring than if you're constantly fatigued and unwell. I think that MS might be diagnosed by MRI or Catscan - but I'm not positive.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Chris M. on 9/11/01 at 17:02 (059899)

I thought I'd throw in my two cents. The doctors mentioned MS with me and then dismissed it. The neurologist told me that it is not genetic and that the diagnosis is made through following the symptoms and also you need an MRI where they look for lesions on the brain. Sometimes the lesions won't be on the brain but on the spinal cord. Like I said, a neurologist told me this info. But the symptoms like dizziness, tiredness, blurred vision, tremors and such weren't there, so the neurologist didn't think it was really MS. As an interesting note, when I had my eye exam by the optometrist, I asked him to look at my eyes with MS in mind.

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:36 (059807)

T, I don't know a whole lot about MS...I did some research at one point because there was some concern that I may have it. MS can apparently mimic TTS symptoms...but I guess the biggest thing to watch for is whether or not you are having symptoms in another part of your body. Also - if your overall health is good, that is more reassuring than if you're constantly fatigued and unwell. I think that MS might be diagnosed by MRI or Catscan - but I'm not positive.

Have you talked to your doctor about it?

Chris M. on 9/11/01 at 17:02 (059899)

I thought I'd throw in my two cents. The doctors mentioned MS with me and then dismissed it. The neurologist told me that it is not genetic and that the diagnosis is made through following the symptoms and also you need an MRI where they look for lesions on the brain. Sometimes the lesions won't be on the brain but on the spinal cord. Like I said, a neurologist told me this info. But the symptoms like dizziness, tiredness, blurred vision, tremors and such weren't there, so the neurologist didn't think it was really MS. As an interesting note, when I had my eye exam by the optometrist, I asked him to look at my eyes with MS in mind.