Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and smoking

Posted by kNOwBetta on 9/10/01 at 19:19 (059790)

Does anyone know the correlation between smoking and TTS? My neurologist told me to quit as it's one of the worst things I can do for a neurological condition. I have also heard that it slows healing time down to 10 times the normal speed. Other than the obvious, I already have my own guilt, does anybody know exactly how it affects the nerve?

Re: TTS and smoking

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:32 (059806)

Although I don't know exactly how it affects nerves...I know that I was warned when I had bunion surgery that smoking would drastically lengthen the time it took for me to heal. (I quit 6 years ago, but well after the sugery). The feet are the slowest healing part of the body anyway due to low circulation. Smoking makes your circulation worse.

I had read that there are doctors who will not do elective cosmetic surgery on paitents who smoke, because they don't heal properly.

I know quitting is brutal - but rather than looking at this from a guilt perspective, you may want to approach it from the standpoint of wanting to do everything you can to make your whole body better.

Anthony P on 9/11/01 at 19:17 (059920)

What helped me to quit smoking 10 years ago is exercise. This also improves
your circulation. (I started with upper body weigth training)It takes
a while to get over smoking but within a year I felt alot better.
Good Luck Anthony

kNOwBetta on 9/12/01 at 15:51 (059991)

Ironically, I started smoking since I could no longer exercised from the TTS. I worked out pretty hard for about 20 years then couldn't handle boredom.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/01 at 21:51 (060055)

I don't want to be a nag, but smoking is a bad substitute for exercise. Consider taking up Yoga as an alternative or perhaps focusing on upper body exercises. Have you tried swimming?
Ed

wendyn on 9/10/01 at 22:32 (059806)

Although I don't know exactly how it affects nerves...I know that I was warned when I had bunion surgery that smoking would drastically lengthen the time it took for me to heal. (I quit 6 years ago, but well after the sugery). The feet are the slowest healing part of the body anyway due to low circulation. Smoking makes your circulation worse.

I had read that there are doctors who will not do elective cosmetic surgery on paitents who smoke, because they don't heal properly.

I know quitting is brutal - but rather than looking at this from a guilt perspective, you may want to approach it from the standpoint of wanting to do everything you can to make your whole body better.

Anthony P on 9/11/01 at 19:17 (059920)

What helped me to quit smoking 10 years ago is exercise. This also improves
your circulation. (I started with upper body weigth training)It takes
a while to get over smoking but within a year I felt alot better.
Good Luck Anthony

kNOwBetta on 9/12/01 at 15:51 (059991)

Ironically, I started smoking since I could no longer exercised from the TTS. I worked out pretty hard for about 20 years then couldn't handle boredom.

Ed Davis, DPM on 9/12/01 at 21:51 (060055)

I don't want to be a nag, but smoking is a bad substitute for exercise. Consider taking up Yoga as an alternative or perhaps focusing on upper body exercises. Have you tried swimming?
Ed